Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Here's a link to the whois for the domain: http://www.whois.com/whois/midwaycanada.ca

Did a google on Mats Tylen and he's associated with Midway Sverige; which presumably is Midway Sweden. Hopefully it's all connected to the Midway USA.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Complain about access to more gun stuff?
What access?

Ruger told Canadian companies not to bother with 2013 import licenses because they have nothing to ship here due to not being able to meet the demand in the US.

Hornady is 1 year behind on their Ammo supply. They have gone to 3 shifts a day, 6 days a week, with day 7 cleaning the equipment. They still can't meet the demand

Kel Tec has a 6 year backlog for the KSG, Canadian companies have told people on their waitlists the gun is not coming, demand in the US is to high.

A company that makes underground plastic Cache containers for Ammo sold out of 1 years production in mere days.

Unless we start producing our own stuff here, I don't expect to be having any more access to anything.

Stores there are putting in Ammo orders 1 full year in advance and still not getting their full supply.

Last edited by Mutter87; 03-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Could you kindly point out where it was mentioned that Brownells was coming to Canada.

I have found some things cheaper at WSS, and some things cheaper at Cabelas, but having more options is always a good thing.

As much as it is nice to have Cabelas in Canada, once you have visited a few Cabelas stores in the USA, you do realize just how much smaller the Canadian stores are, and how much less variety the Canadian stores carry. Still, more sources mean more selection overall.
My observations from the larger American stores is simply how much more Chinese made junk they have in the US stores.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm mixed on this. Midway won't sell me a paper clip because I'm Canadian. Brownells at least sells me what they can.
Its a good thing when suppliers come to Canada plain and simple. Not sure if you know this but they did ship here in the old days - then they got hit with a huge fine. That's when they put an end to Canadian orders. I don't blame them for that one bit.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My observations from the larger American stores is simply how much more Chinese made junk they have in the US stores.
I find that the Cabelas stores in the USA carry much more of the Cabelas brand clothing and footwear.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
What access?

Ruger told Canadian companies not to bother with 2013 import licenses because they have nothing to ship here due to not being able to meet the demand in the US.

Hornady is 1 year behind on their Ammo supply. They have gone to 3 shifts a day, 6 days a week, with day 7 cleaning the equipment. They still can't meet the demand

Kel Tec has a 6 year backlog for the KSG, Canadian companies have told people on their waitlists the gun is not coming, demand in the US is to high.

A company that makes underground plastic Cache containers for Ammo sold out of 1 years production in mere days.

Unless we start producing our own stuff here, I don't expect to be having any more access to anything.

Stores there are putting in Ammo orders 1 full year in advance and still not getting their full supply.
More complaining? Who is "we"? Sure, there is an artificial bubble moving along the supply chain right now. Access to more stuff through more suppliers is a good thing........the supply will come.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
More complaining? Who is "we"? Sure, there is an artificial bubble moving along the supply chain right now. Access to more stuff through more suppliers is a good thing........the supply will come.
Anything made in the US is staying in the US. And "we" is Canadians.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Its a good thing when suppliers come to Canada plain and simple. Not sure if you know this but they did ship here in the old days - then they got hit with a huge fine. That's when they put an end to Canadian orders. I don't blame them for that one bit.
I'm not even sure yet that they are related to Midway USA. The international websites have a different appearance and feel to them. The whois information doesn't match with the Midway USA information.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Here's a link to the whois for the domain: http://www.whois.com/whois/midwaycanada.ca

Did a google on Mats Tylen and he's associated with Midway Sverige; which presumably is Midway Sweden. Hopefully it's all connected to the Midway USA.
Does seem kinda stramge that the Swedes would be involved vs Potter doing it himself. I can't see full line MIdway coming up here, too many export licence/permits to keep track of and to buy. The mfgrs like Hornady/Nosler have the licences already, but a lot of the small US companies probably will not buy them, unless somehow Midway can force the issue in a vendor agreement. That strikes me as unlikely, but, ya never know. We already have a pretty good selection of stuff up here, just more spread out than a one stop shop. And Sweden is on the ITAR good guy list in the states, we are not, and that isn't about to change in the next few years. Only likely change is the 500.00 exemption, if it actually ever gets put through as policy.
I expect we will see more of the same of what we already have here, on the faster moving products, not the slow movers. Similar to Cabelas.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Anything made in the US is staying in the US. And "we" is Canadians.
The "we" is Canadians, doesn't point to anyone. The collective "we" will not do anything. The entrepaneur "one" who absorbs the risk to support the "we" is who you are referring to. Find the "one" and back the "one". Otherwise we rely on stuff made somewhere else. I just invested a sum into RCBS (made in USA) reloading stuff and a stock pile of other components, all made in the USA. Some of it purchased in Canada and some of it purchased on line at Brownells.

I get the supply and demand issue. It's a bubble moving along the supply chain right now. You and I aren't going to fix that.

Bring on Midway Canada! More storefront is better...for better times.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
The "we" is Canadians, doesn't point to anyone. The collective "we" will not do anything. The entrepaneur "one" who absorbs the risk to support the "we" is who you are referring to. Find the "one" and back the "one". Otherwise we rely on stuff made somewhere else. I just invested a sum into RCBS (made in USA) reloading stuff and a stock pile of other components, all made in the USA. Some of it purchased in Canada and some of it purchased on line at Brownells.

I get the supply and demand issue. It's a bubble moving along the supply chain right now. You and I aren't going to fix that.

Bring on Midway Canada! More storefront is better...for better times.
Oh yeah, your definatly right. More stores the better, I just don't see our supply increasing.

It would be a lot of money to risk trying to get a manufacturing plant going for Ammo up here.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
It was a US law they broke and the US Government that fined them. And now because I'm Canadian they refuse to ship me items that they are lawfully entitled to do so. No thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

I used to order from them about 25 years ago

I loved the Winchester bulk brass prices, especially for .338WM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Got this reply from MidwayUSA today:

Dear Xxx,

Thank you for your recent email. I do apologize but we do not have a dealer set up in Canada quite yet. We have been working on getting a dealer, however because we have been so busy for the past few months we have not been able to get this done very quickly. We are hoping to get a Canadian dealer within the year!

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to doing business with you in the future. If you have additional questions or comments, please contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday(CST). You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com. We are continuously striving for improvement and superior customer satisfaction. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

Thank you for choosing MidwayUSA. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Sincerely,
Rae
MidwayUSA Customer Service
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah. I saw this back a few days. Don't know why it hasn't happened sooner considering:

[/LIST]
Yes and if you check their prices they have been adjusted to be just as expensive as the home market suppliers. I looked at Midway Germany as there are no export restrictions, and there prices are WAY higher than the U.S. posted prices, and much higher than Canadian pricing. More choice is good but don't expect to save any money. These guys aren't moving into these markets for our good, they are hunting the higher margins.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes and if you check their prices they have been adjusted to be just as expensive as the home market suppliers. I looked at Midway Germany as there are no export restrictions, and there prices are WAY higher than the U.S. posted prices, and much higher than Canadian pricing. More choice is good but don't expect to save any money. These guys aren't moving into these markets for our good, they are hunting the higher margins.
Exactamundo!
Cat
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
or perhaps Midway wants in on the gouging.
Exactly. They will charge what the market will bear.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Could you kindly point out where it was mentioned that Brownells was coming to Canada.

I have found some things cheaper at WSS, and some things cheaper at Cabelas, but having more options is always a good thing.

As much as it is nice to have Cabelas in Canada, once you have visited a few Cabelas stores in the USA, you do realize just how much smaller the Canadian stores are, and how much less variety the Canadian stores carry. Still, more sources mean more selection overall.
That small Canadian store did more sales in the first week opening than any other store in the whole chain. FS
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
That small Canadian store did more sales in the first week opening than any other store in the whole chain. FS
It was new, and people flocked in to see what they had to offer. I have been in that store exactly once, during that first week, just like many people. How do you suppose the weekly sales compare to other stores in the chain now that the newness has worn off?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It was a US law they broke and the US Government that fined them. And now because I'm Canadian they refuse to ship me items that they are lawfully entitled to do so. No thanks.
So if I get what you said they broke a US law and were fined. By th US, so how could they be lawfully entitled to sell items to you???

Quote:

Have you been to cabelas in billings? It's way smaller than edmontons and alot of new cabelas down here are going smaller as opposed to the big log building type.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
You have to remember that a lot of the products have to be shipped overseas. Even if they are more expensive in Canada at least shipping will be faster and no Customs Fees added. Once they are here hopefully I can buy stuff that Brownell's cannot ship and I'm not limited to the $100 max that ITAR has set.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
So if I get what you said they broke a US law and were fined. By th US, so how could they be lawfully entitled to sell items to you???
Only certain items that they sell are restricted by US law, they could legally ship any of the non restricted items to Canada if they chose to.

Quote:
Have you been to cabelas in billings? It's way smaller than edmontons and alot of new cabelas down here are going smaller as opposed to the big log building type.
I haven't been to the Cabelas in Billings, but according to the Cabelas site, it is 80,000 square feet, while the Edmonton store is only 70,000 square feet. I have been to the stores in Post Falls, and Lacey, both of which are much larger than the Edmonton store. Both stocked way more of the Cabelas branded clothing and footwear.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Personally, I'd pay more for more selection. I'm not out to save in this sport. Get me what I want and I will gladly pay for it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but how is it that Sweden, and Germany are on the ITAR "good guy" list while Canada (Americas neighbour and "friend") are not? Did we do something to upset them? Our immigration laws maybe? Does anyone know the real reason (not speculation!)?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but how is it that Sweden, and Germany are on the ITAR "good guy" list while Canada (Americas neighbour and "friend") are not? Did we do something to upset them? Our immigration laws maybe? Does anyone know the real reason (not speculation!)?
The way I understand it is that the liberal government at the time did not ask for the optional exemption like the governments of sweden and germany did.

Another reason to hate liberals.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Exactamundo!
Cat
Will be no different than Target adjusting their prices to match or slightly better local competition. Having another choice of suppliers is a good thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM

I don't expect better deals. I am just happy to have another source for hard to get parts. I can't believe how many guys are already whining about a store that will give a shooter more options and it isn't even open yet.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM

I'm looking forward to a web site that is easy to order supplies from, they let you know if its in stock before you order. As for the US having lower prices its only $5 for a box of bullets online.
If you walk into a shop down south there's not much difference, I priced out for eg. a Leupold Vx-3 1.5x5 in 3 stores all were about $530 same as here. The same scope online from Optic's Int. is $399. Its too bad nobody from Canada can make a web site that's user friendly.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
Waaaahooooooooo! Happy Happy Happy! Where they going to be located?
St Anthony NFLD

This would be sooooo awesome! Like was previously said, be great to see some others follow suit!!...I can see my old PrePaid Visa's and PayPal gettin used a little more
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Don't forget that European prices include GST. In the case of Germany, this is 19%!