Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Signed

And it's no accident that I am listed as #666
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Signed

LOL reminds me of some classic Iron Maiden lyrics.....

"Let him who hath understanding recon the number of the beast"
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Recent issues apart, no way I want the ding-a-lings in Okotoks packing. Nobody I know in this town can stand them.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM

I'm sure there's some good ones but most are just mall cops
Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Why are they "peace officers" not real police officers?

I do not trust these wanna be policemen.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM

So like the article says.. They are not to be confused with a POLICE officer and do not have the same training as one, but we are supposed to sign something to give them a firearm.. No thank you.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Not a chance in hell. It could have been the neighbor banging on the guys door about his dog. The guy would have shot him too. Maybe we should arm properly trained citizens. These wanna be renta cops are hired for bylaw reasons and nothing more. When they start dealing with drug runners and murderers then we will talk. Pepper spray is enough of a weapon for the dog catchers and parking police.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

LOL! Not a chance. We going to arm paramedics to?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM

We should all be allowed to carry guns, like in Texas.
Then we all have a fair chance.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
So like the article says.. They are not to be confused with a POLICE officer and do not have the same training as one, but we are supposed to sign something to give them a firearm.. No thank you.
yup my thoughts as well
Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

This dead guy was essentially a dog catcher, meter maid, and parking dude with a ticket book. Are game wardens in the same category now?

OMG.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM

I might consider signing but only only after our government tells me it's OK for me to enjoy shooting a handgun in all the places where I can shoot rifles and shotguns. Hell I can't even shoot a pistol on my own land.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
This dead guy was essentially a dog catcher, meter maid, and parking dude with a ticket book. Are game wardens in the same category now?

OMG.
Ooohhh Boy!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM

How many people are there that think they support CCW but cannot find themselves supporting a Peace Officers right to protect themselves? I personally think this petition should be for everyone to protect themselves, but will support it as a stepping stone towards normalizing firearms; the more the merrier. By gradually affording more occupations the right to carry, each increment brings it closer to the masses.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Signed
Without hesitation
Give them what they need to do their jobs

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Banned

Done, Done and done! I've signed, Mallcop or not, if he has to go up against a nut in the performance of duty, then he needs our backing and support. As long as he gets the required training.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Done!! 100% Support.. These guys deserve the proper training and tools to do their jobs. like it or not these guys have an important job to do and sometimes, especially in secluded areas, very dangerous. My hat's off to all the Peace Officers in Alberta and my thoughts are with the family of Officer Lazenby
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbobthebuilder View Post
I'm sure there's some good ones but most are just mall cops
Got one in the county. I'll bet she pushes the scale at 350. One thing to pack a gun, quite another having the ability and judgement when to use it. Some of those guys are scary. One of the hazards of the job. We haven't heard yet exactly what brought the shooting about. It's First degree only cause it involves a Peace officer.

Grizz
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 PM

IMO best thing overall would be legally allowed to pack - open carry permit for law abieding residents.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Default Please sign

A thanks to all who signed.

To those who feel proper training is required. You are quite correct. Just like it was for them to get appointed as Peace Officers by the Albera government. Just as was required to carry handcuffs OC spray and batons.

A man was murdered because he was doing his job dealing with an animal complaint. A sidearm may have saved him. It may not have saved him. His grandchildren have no grandpa. His wife has no husband. His kids have no father. His friends and coworkers have do not have him around any more.

Everyone seems to forget the real issue is that Officer Lazenby is dead because he was doing job for the people in his community. Hopefully your community strives for the safety of its employees as well.

The are many Peace Officers who should not have sidearms. There are also many RCMP and municipal police officers and sheriffs who should also not have sidearms. Just as there are mechanics who should not have wrenches. And accountants who should not have pencils etc.

I bet there are people who do what Insurgus does that should not be doing what he does. He may even be one of them. Or he may not.

Everyone has a Right to be safe at work. Qualified ( I am not able to bold... Darn phone) QUALIFIED Peace Officers should be armed. The Province should set a standard for qualification.

I wonder who was the last officer before the murder to contact the suspect? I bet it was not a sheriff or a Mountie. I bet it was poor old dead Rod Lazenby.
I bet he carried a sidearm for his 35 years as a Mountie. If he was not qualified who would be?

Sign the petition.

Rest In Peace Officer Lazenby
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Signed. #922.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Signed

u still have to call everyone with 100 clicks of where ur going if u got a gun because we all fear for are selves jk
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM

Signed.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned

Sorry I can't do it.

Some of the comments here are a bit over the top but I see no reason to support arming a guy and giving him a badge if he has no better training than I do...when I can't buy a hand gun and take it out plinking at any range or for that matter any safe place.

Without proper training a situation like we just had could have just as easily resulted in a dead man and a baddy that was then armed with his weapon.

If the job is too dangerous they should bring a cop along for the ride.

Besides...where does it stop?
Peace officers, by-law, health inspectors, the guy that reads your gas meter?

Pretty soon we have a police state and the only people packing are the ones that are increasingly regulating our lives and baddies.

We...average folks get caught in the squeeze and treated like cattle.

It is a shame that poor man was killed and it was entirely preventable but arming them isn't the only solution.

How about creating a few more jobs so these guys don't have to travel alone?
How about maintaining a file on guys with a history of being difficult and making sure that either a police officer or another Peace officer accompanies?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 PM

No, arming them would just entice them to go beyond their authority, finding courage in a gun. They should have the sense to back out of a situation that would require them to carry and let properly trained professionals handle it. Standing on someone’s step and forcing your authority down a citizens throat, “because you can” is wrong, doing it by yourself, foolish. Canadians are getting pretty pizzed off with the killing, kicking, punching and false arrests while rapists get a slap on the back, a well done and a four year holiday.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 PM

I signed it but I thought that the peace officers already were strapped in Ft.McMurray?
Cat
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM

Watching the news I found it ironic that they (peace officers) were talking about the need for a firearm using the same reasoning that CCW supporters, and right to armed self defense proponents use "we need a better way to defend ourselves when situations arise, because the resources (read: people that have firearms for defense purposes aka the police) are sometimes several minutes away"

I agree 110% that people should have the right to an adequate self defense for any situation that arises, but I can't bring myself to sign a petition that singles out a specific group for that right. I hope they do get it, and the proper training that is absolutely required for it, just like I hope all citizens get the right to an equal self defense.

This world is getting more, and more, violent by the day as populations increase exponentially and if you figure 1 out of 10,000,000 (a completely abstract figure plucked out of the air) is a crazy person that has no qualms about evil intentions, there will be a steady increase as the population increases. It's basic statistics. People are violent (not all), and have been violent ever since there were 2 humans living in close proximity to one another. As there are more people, there will be more violence. There is no denying it, and no way around it. The rates may change from region to region, but it still exists.

End rant
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM

Signed!

You guys that are against this have no clue what these officers do..
You ask any Sheriff, RCMP or city police officer if they would do an unknown traffic stop ANYWHERE without a sidearm, I bet there answer is HELL NO! Because it is dangerous! Peace Officers in the rural county do traffic stops on back rural roads and in most places back up is not all that close. Arming them is long overdue.
I would love to see even half of the people posting in this thread attempt to pass the Peace Officer course that the Solicitor General has for Level 1 peace officers.