Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Default 30.06 or .308?

Just looking for an opinion for a bush gun:

If you had to choose between a 30.06 or a .308, which would you choose?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM

There's not really any practical difference between the two, but since you said it was for a busy gun I'd go with a 308 just because you can get them in shorter rifles.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Neither
I'd go 338 Federal, or 358 Win., or even 35 Whelan.

The 30 cals are more of a compromise bullet diameter, that's why they are so popular. They either are a bit one side or another of perfection.

For a stand alone bush caliber I'd look a larger than .308" diameter pills.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM

45-70 guide gun is my pick
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM

I like Scott would pick the 308 between the two choices. No real difference in hunting between the two, but the 308 is easy to load for and fits in a shorter action. It handles light to heavy loads safely when handloading. For a bush gun for myself I would lean towards the 35 whelan or 45-70 though like the above posters mention.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
stubblejumper

Since any bullet,regardless of caliber or cartridge, will be deflected significantly by striking obstructions,there really is no such thing as a brush cartridge.I would look more at the rifles handling than the cartridge.I would choose a compact quick handling rifle like the remington model 7 in any cartridge suitable for the game that you intend to hunt.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 PM

Default 30-06

If I have to choose between the two calibers you mentioned, then I would go for the 30-06. I think the 30-06 just has that something extra over the .308. They both shoot the same projectile and the bore is the same, 7.62mm. With the 30-06 having a bigger cartridge you can shoot heavier bullets, over 200gr, and even light ones 130gr for those long shots, depending on how you reload them.

The .308 does have a shorter action but that doe not necessarily mean the gun will be shorter as well. My Dad have a 30-06 Steyr Mannlicher Luxus and I am sure it is the shortest gun I have ever seen, very accurate, very versatile and powerful, seen him take animals from hares to a big Eland bull. It really is a nice gun and caliber.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Gone Hunting

gonefishin

You asked about a "bush gun" and then proceeded to talk about two "cartridges".

To me there are basically two types of hunting rifles for Alberta big game. "Bush guns" for close range fast action shooting in the bush. 100 yards or often far less. A fast first shot and a fast follow up second and third if needed. (yes we all like to make one shot clean kills and so a single shot is all you really need, but in reality some times you need more)
For this I like a lever action like a Savage 99 or Win. 88 or Browning BLR. Or a pump or semiauto. .308 lends itself well to these types of actions

The other type of hunting (and rifle) is the open country or plains and mountain hunting type. Here a good solid bolt action with a good variable scope in a high velocity round is the ticket. The hunter usually has plenty of time to get set up for a longish shot and normally does not need a fast second shot.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Gone Hunting

gonefishin

Sorry, double post

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Just looking for an opinion for a bush gun:

If you had to choose between a 30.06 or a .308, which would you choose?
The '06 is typically about 75 to 100 FPS faster than the 308, that's it.
The 308 was designed to go into short action auotloaders for military use.
It was after it's Military inception that Winchester gave the 7.62 Nato the moniker "308 Winchester".
After that, it came out in a gazillion short action rifles, perfect for close range "brush" hunting.
However, I was never one to consider a rifle for it's shortness of action, because my favorite is falling blocks, the shortest of all.
I have hunted with both, and because I handload for a good number of 308 users ( about three times what I do for the '06) and I have several target rifles in 308, I would choose that cartridge - and that is the only reason.
The recoil, range, energy, all IMHO are so close at "brush" hunting distances that they are of no consequense.

There is no magic bullet that deflects brush better than another BTW, that has been proven by evrybody from Francis Sell to Ross Seifried.

As far as other cartridges go, yes, there re others that MAY be better for close range stuff, but a bear at 40 yards is going down no harder shot with a 165 grain 308 than one of my cannons shooting a 480 - 500 grain cast bullet.

For the record, I have seen moose take off when hit with a 375H&H, because they were hit wrong.
They were dropped with a far lesser caliber.
It goes to the same ol' thing - shot what you want, but learn to shoot it well.

Cat
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 AM

if it truly a treestand hunting bush rig, probably a 12 guage with a slug thang in it, but that seems so limiting if you have to followup at 125 yards...i would have to agree with dick and rena and lean towards a 35 to 45 diameter projectile

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Short Action/Long Action

Both 30 cal bullets, Both have ballistics close to each other, .06 gets a bit of an edge. Both sold everywhere so when you need ammo in "Bucktosh Nowhere" you will find it. .06 is my choice simply because it offers a bigger variety of factory loads as I don't do my own. 55gr accelorators up to 220 gr round nose.
Bottom line is either will drop anything short of a Griz in this province very nicely.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner22a View Post
Both 30 cal bullets, Both have ballistics close to each other, .06 gets a bit of an edge. Both sold everywhere so when you need ammo in "Bucktosh Nowhere" you will find it. .06 is my choice simply because it offers a bigger variety of factory loads as I don't do my own. 55gr accelorators up to 220 gr round nose.
Bottom line is either will drop anything short of a Griz in this province very nicely.
Both have killed lots of Grizzlies as well.
I only use one bullet for the most part in loading for deer to moose, the 165 Seirra.
The Accelerastors are a waste of time , tried them tested them, not woth the hassle and inaccuracy, IMO.
cat