Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default Easy way to upgrade Dad's POL to PAL?

Hey, just wondering what the simplest way for my Dad to upgrade his POL to a PAL? He had an old FAC before and then with the registry they gave him a POL so he could register his guns but now he's thinkin he'd like to upgrade to a PAL. Can he challenge the test somewhere for free...or cheap?...or does he have to do a full course etc. and pay bigger bucks? The convenience of this will have a lot to do with if he goes for it or not?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Not sure if he's in Calgary but here you go my friend.

Challenge Date

Jan 29

Jan 31

Feb 28

Feb 28

Mar 5

Mar 6

Mar 19

Apr 15

Apr 17

Where: Calgary, Conservation Education Centre for Excellence

Times:
January 29, 2008: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
January 31, 2008: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
February 27, 2008: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
February 28, 2008 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
March 5, 2008: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
March 6, 2008: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
March 19, 2008: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
April 15, 2008: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
April 17, 2008: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM

VARIOUS DATES AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT.

Contact: Call (403) 252-8474 to book an appointment and please specify which exam(s) will be taken. There are no fees for any of our courses. However, A.H.E.I.A. is a registered charity and we are happy to issue a tax receipt for any donation. It is through these much needed donations that A.H.E.I.A. continues to provide quality Conservation Education programs to Albertans of all ages. One piece of Government issued Photo Identification is required.

I just took the course as my hands on knowledge is pretty weak and you finish the course with the test, cost was $65.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Liberal laws state with a POL you cannot be trusted with buying anymore firearms. And they devised a PAL so with that more handguns have been sold and smuggled. And we only paid $2 billion, what a deal.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Hey, just wondering what the simplest way for my Dad to upgrade his POL to a PAL? He had an old FAC before and then with the registry they gave him a POL so he could register his guns but now he's thinkin he'd like to upgrade to a PAL. Can he challenge the test somewhere for free...or cheap?...or does he have to do a full course etc. and pay bigger bucks? The convenience of this will have a lot to do with if he goes for it or not?
If you can find someone who has taken the course and will lend you the manual, there should be no problem with the written exam. I would not count on long years of experience alone being enough to just challenge. The exam is written such that you have to understand the lingo of the folk that wrote the course and exam. For example a clip is not a clip, it is a box magazine, and you need to follow through when aiming a rifle (even at a stationary target) as well as a shotgun. There is a video on line that you can watch which helps as well, but again it would be fairly marginal getting enough out of the video to pass (80%) the exam.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/safety-sur...se_video_e.asp

There is both a written exam and a hands on demonstration exam. The examiners are volunteers, and I picked up from the guy I had that at least some of them "lick their chops" in anticipation of the challenge guys. My analysis would be that the practical exam would be the hard part to pass on a challenge. They are looking for very specific things, and they deduct points for each "catch" they make. I believe you can loose 10 points (catch points, or missed verbal questions) and then you are toast.

I was in the same situation as your Dad. I went the course route, and while I got 100% on the written, I only got 94% on the practical. I don't even really know what I did wrong, other than put the rifle down with the action closed (beside all the other ones on the bench with the action closed). I knew that you had to do that at the range routine when the cease fire is declaired, but I thought after we had climed a fence (imaginary), and got back we were not at the range anymore. You get the picture. Very contrived and picky process. I think if one actually followed the practice to the letter that they teach, you would wear your barrel out, poking the rod down the barrel every time the gun leaves your hands.

The other issue is that they use guns which owners have donated or turned in. So, there is a variety and some oddballs. I own all the various actions they test on, except the pump, and spend an hour or so practicing in the PM before the test. If you do not show up early and spend some time figuring out each gun to be used in the test, you are probably dead in the water.

I would suggest taking the course, and I'm sure the organization can use the donation. I think they are (despite our government) doing a great job teaching those who don't know much about guns how to get started safely.

The only real good news is that if you have a POL, then there is no fee to the government for the PAL. Also allow up to 2 months for the whole process!

Ron
Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
stubblejumper

In order to get an FAC in the first place,he had to have passed the test.It is possible that there are still records of this.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
In order to get an FAC in the first place,he had to have passed the test.It is possible that there are still records of this.
Possibly. I got my FAC without any test, and they are looking for a specific course and test (CFSC for non restricted).
Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 PM

I didn't need to pass a test to get my FAC. The only question was if I'd ever taken a hunter training course before, which I had but had no proof, told him that and satisfied him and I got my FAC.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM

One must remember that for a lot of folk the jargon of the past remains, FAC and PAL are interchangeable in their minds.
Contact any instructor of the CFSC and make arrangements for your Dad to challenge the test, just make sure he bones up on the nomiclature, and acronoms used in the course.
Any gun shop should have a few names and numbers for you to contact for courses.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Possibly. I got my FAC without any test, and they are looking for a specific course and test (CFSC for non restricted).
I had to take a test to get my FAC when FACs first came out.I did not have to take any more tests to get my PAL.I just opened my old manual for the FAC course,and it specifically states that a person must have taken a test or completed a course in the safe handling of firearms,and related firearms laws and regulations to be eligible to receive an FAC.

Last edited by stubblejumper; 02-04-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Before July 1993 you didn't have to have proof that you passed a firearms safety training course or test, but after that date you had to have proof. I got my first FAC in the 1980's. Just pulled out two applications for FACs, one for my dad and one for myself, the question on my dad's about ever taking a course for the safe handling of firearms the yes box is unchecked and he still got his FAC, this was in Jan 1983. I wasn't as good at keeping paperwork, the only application I have is from 1992 and the question to the safe handling of firearms course is checked yes. I never had to show any proof of the fact that I had taken a course, in fact I can remember telling the interviewing officer that my wallet card had worn out a long time before he wanted to see it. From what I found on the Internet it looks like you had to show proof after July 1993. We all could be correct about the showing or not showing of proof, it all depends when we were applying for the FAC.
http://www.ncf.ca/ip/sigs/sports/shooting/fac-info
Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

holy smokes guys...thats a lot of info....thanks, i've printed off and will take to Dad this week and see what he wants to do!