Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Default U of A Research Farms

Could any members enlighten me / us on access for hunting on the U of A Research Farms at Kinsella and the Mathias Ranch property by Duchess. Thank you
Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Could any members enlighten me / us on access for hunting on the U of A Research Farms at Kinsella and the Mathias Ranch property by Duchess. Thank you
Mathias has a ranch manager on site and access is granted through him. Two years ago it was a pass book, archery only and no hunting of birds.

Kinsella had a ranch manager that retired so I am not sure if there is a new one in place. At one time this property was foot access only but the gates have been open the last couple of years. I heard they were going to try to tighten back up to foot access. This could only occur if there was a ranch manager on site.

Both sites were in person appearances and discussion with the ranch managers.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Have also been told NO for birds on the Mathias property near duchess.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:03 PM

I should have added NO for birds (Sharptails) on Kinsella as well.

Mathais gets the requests for pheasants --- there are signs along the property saying no bird hunting.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:39 PM

This is a big no go zone as of 2017 some guys from Edmonton cut some fences drove through a couple locked gates. All gates are locked and the ranch is patrolled through all hunting season.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Kind of a **** off really. Locked gates now on the old roads that used to lead to accessing the EID? Was only a matter of time I suppose.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Mathias rant is a joke. Lots of work done in there by ducks unlimited for UofA to deny access like they do. Corresponded with UofA about it and at the end of the day I think its just no one wanting to accept the liability for allowing hunters on the property. Someday when FritoLay owns the prairies I'm sure it will be like this everywhere unfortunately.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:08 PM

Thank you to everyone for responding and those who emailed privately. The common points I am getting privately are:
- government $$$ to these farms should allow public access w/o favorites
- Mathias site has great wetlands that should allow public access
- Manager @ Mathias site plays favorites to a select group of friends and family ( some from BC) as a private hunting ranch
- EID access restricted now at Mathias site
- U of A is poor steward of these lands except for a select few with connections
- Shame on the U of A

There was some much stronger language used by some, but this captures the thoughts of those private responses for the most part

Thank you once again to everyone
Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 PM

After talking to the guy who lives on the Mathias site a couple times over several years about acquiring some bird permission the previous post doesn’t surprise me at all. I can imagine the exclusive permission, sucks for the average Joe.