Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 PM

Default Saving your game hides

Well it’s going to start soon! Here’s some skinning thoughts in case you’re going to save your big game hides this year.

First of all if you wanna nice square hide don’t cut on the inside of the legs. Instead cut along the very front of the front legs and on the very back of the back legs.

Skinning clean is nice but if you’re doing that make sure you aren’t scoring the hide. Those little knife marks will end up on the leather, sometimes they can’t be gotten rid of. Leaving big huge pieces of meat on the hide ain’t good either, that stuff rots pretty fast. And leaving a hide in a plastic bag in the sun ...whooeee don’t do that. A snow bank works well though.

Oh and by the way if anyone gets a small bull or a big cow moose hide and don’t plan on doing anything with them I’d “appreciate” one.

I got a hide from someone here last year...can’t remember his name but wow, what a great skinning job.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 PM

What do you use them for?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 PM

It baffles me why some hunters either throw away or leave moose hides in the bush, let alone elk or deer hides. There are still a few FN people that will smoke tan a moose hide for less than a thousand dollars. Halford's smoked moose hides sell for up to 3K and they buy smoke tanned moose hides so a person could grow the investment and maybe even recoup some hunting expenses.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
It baffles me why some hunters either throw away or leave moose hides in the bush, let alone elk or deer hides. There are still a few FN people that will smoke tan a moose hide for less than a thousand dollars. Halford's smoked moose hides sell for up to 3K and they buy smoke tanned moose hides so a person could grow the investment and maybe even recoup some hunting expenses.
Let me know how much you get off your last hide most people don't have a extra Grand

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Let me know how much you get off your last hide most people don't have a extra Grand

hahaha that was my thought, getting a divorce right now if you have an extra grand laying around you want to give me so I could get my moose hide tanned so it doesn't end up in the bush that would be great....
Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Red is right about the price of traditional tanned hides, although with a mere 40 hours of work you can brain tan and smoke your own hide, depends what a thousand bucks is worth to you. If it takes a week to tan a hide, 50 hides a year ain’t that great a living so I think 1K isn’t too much to pay. I’d never pay that as my time ain’t worth much and I like working on hides so I do my own. Then I stack them in the basement and ponder what to make with them. I like the process of tanning more than I like sewing leather I guess.

I have enough now to get a nice moose jacket made. That’s not something I’ll do myself though, a feller has to know his limits.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Red is right about the price of traditional tanned hides, although with a mere 40 hours of work you can brain tan and smoke your own hide, depends what a thousand bucks is worth to you. If it takes a week to tan a hide, 50 hides a year ain’t that great a living so I think 1K isn’t too much to pay. I’d never pay that as my time ain’t worth much and I like working on hides so I do my own. Then I stack them in the basement and ponder what to make with them. I like the process of tanning more than I like sewing leather I guess.

I have enough now to get a nice moose jacket made. That’s not something I’ll do myself though, a feller has to know his limits.
50 hides at 3K each isn't a great living? To make 150K a year a tradesman would have to work more than 40 hours a week.

And I said up to a grand. A couple years ago I knew of a couple gals that would do a hide for 750.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Not trying to derail here, but thought I'd throw in Euro mounts here too since were talking about doing your own work. I see many threads here and on facebook of people asking who does good euro mounts and how much they cost. They are so simple to do and costs very little if you do it yourself. Depending on how dedicated to the process you are can be done in 48 hours or less and for about $20.

I would love to learn how to tan my own hides. If I can get a coyote or two this year that's my plan. Learn on them and move up to the bigger hides from there.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Default moose hide

i have a moose tag this year and if i get one the hide is up for grabs,i will go thru the trouble and skin it out properly . PM me if your intersted. I live in edmonton area.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
50 hides at 3K each isn't a great living? To make 150K a year a tradesman would have to work more than 40 hours a week.

And I said up to a grand. A couple years ago I knew of a couple gals that would do a hide for 750.
Just because halfords is asking 3K doesn’t mean they’re selling many. Tanned moose hides seem to be fetching 1500/1800. I’d never sell one personally, after that much time investment it’s like selling a child
Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM

You can really clean the flesh sides of the hide off quick with a pressure washer. Although I hear that car washes kinda frown on that being done in their facilities...
Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 PM

When we’re talking hides for tanning, do they need to be caped out completely, face and all, or is the process different?

I also have a moose draw this year.

Last year I saved some nice deer hides to offer up if anyone needed them.

I think it’s fair to ask a price for hides though if someone is going to go through the process of carefully skinning, packing out and storing a hide. No?

BG
Old 08-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
When we’re talking hides for tanning, do they need to be caped out completely, face and all, or is the process different?

I think it’s fair to ask a price for hides though if someone is going to go through the process of carefully skinning, packing out and storing a hide. No?

BG
Don't think you can sell hides and unless their tanned allready.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Don't think you can sell hides and unless their tanned allready.

Selling raw or tanned ungulate hides is fully legal, No permit required.
As long as the hooves are removed....
Selling hooves without a permit is illegal.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Just because halfords is asking 3K doesn’t mean they’re selling many. Tanned moose hides seem to be fetching 1500/1800. I’d never sell one personally, after that much time investment it’s like selling a child
So, you're saying it depends on how much is offered?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Selling raw or tanned ungulate hides is fully legal, No permit required.

As long as the hooves are removed....

Selling hooves without a permit is illegal.
Ok thanks

Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

BG

Of course it’s reasonable and fair to get paid...or beered
Old 08-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Pm me with prices . I’ll have elks , moose’s , deer’s , and beef hides this fall. If your interested
Old 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Pm me with prices . I’ll have elks , moose’s , deer’s , and beef hides this fall. If your interested

For raw hides?

The market is Free to $20, maybe a bit more for a good moose.

Buffalo are free up to 100 for the best December hides....

Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM

I took my first Moose hide in to Halfords about 20 yrs ago. They gave me $5
Wasn't worth the gas and time. I've been leaving them in the bush.
If I get one this year I'll get in touch w you Tracy.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:00 PM

I’ll throw them out then because it’s not worth my time.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Of course it’s reasonable and fair to get paid...or beered
Ah, beered, always acceptable