Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Help with Rings

Hey guys, I just bought my first rifle and scope. I have a lefty Tikka T3 lite in a 7mm-08 and a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope. It's sitting at P&D until my PAL arrives. What do I need to buy now to mount my scope for rings etc? Would prefer stainless as my scope is stainless. Should add, I've read the rings it comes with aren't the best which is why I'm looking. Is that all that is needed to mount my scope? Thanks in advance

Last edited by therealj; 02-03-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 AM

Unless P & D has a special deal, Tikka rifles in Canada don't come with rings / bases. They do in the US though. I put the Tikka / Sako Optilock ring / base set up on my T-3 and I really like. The biggest knock against them is that they are a little expensive and on the heavy side, but they are very solid. The zero on my rifle hasn't changed since I first sighted it in 3 years ago. If you happen to go the Optilock way, low or even extra low rings will work for your scope.

Your rifle is drilled and tapped, so you have the option of less expensive set ups like Leupold, Burris, or Talley. I hear a lot of guys like Talley. P & D has a good reputation for customer service, I'm sure they can show you a number of options when you pick your rifle up.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Rings and bases are important with that in mind 7-08 is not by any means a abusive cartridge weavers system was a inovation that has stood the test of time and will do the job. Personal prefference is tactical rail and rings but why spend 225.00 on a caliber that will do well for 1/4 of the price?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Unless P & D has a special deal, Tikka rifles in Canada don't come with rings / bases. They do in the US though. I put the Tikka / Sako Optilock ring / base set up on my T-3 and I really like. The biggest knock against them is that they are a little expensive and on the heavy side, but they are very solid. The zero on my rifle hasn't changed since I first sighted it in 3 years ago. If you happen to go the Optilock way, low or even extra low rings will work for your scope.

Your rifle is drilled and tapped, so you have the option of less expensive set ups like Leupold, Burris, or Talley. I hear a lot of guys like Talley. P & D has a good reputation for customer service, I'm sure they can show you a number of options when you pick your rifle up.
Thanks Scott, I'd like something really good as I plan to be a one rifle guy for awhile. Buying my gramps a Tikka too and baby on the horizon will limit my rifle purchases for awhile . I'll look into the optilock
Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Would these be all I need to mount my scope?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=022
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Yes, they will work.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM

Default rings for tikka

Have a look at the luepold std bases and rings they are solid and reasonably priced as well.I have those and the Burris Zee /Weaver system on a few of my Tikkas.
Darrin
Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM

I have the leupold standard 2 pieces. They're good and reasonably priced. Talley lightweights would be good as well, though I don't think p&d stocks them, and it's probably not worth the weight savings unless you're also running an ultralight scope.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM

I guess I'm just a little confused....do I need rings and a base....or just rings?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
I have the leupold standard 2 pieces. They're good and reasonably priced. Talley lightweights would be good as well, though I don't think p&d stocks them, and it's probably not worth the weight savings unless you're also running an ultralight scope.
X2 on the leupold rings and bases.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
I guess I'm just a little confused....do I need rings and a base....or just rings?
Some guns come with bases. Most do not, and you have to buy the bases. If you are going with rings which take a Weaver style base, you can look up the appropriate base numbers here:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/charts/charts.aspx

Ron
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM

ok...so with the warne rings I linked I still need to buy bases?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM

If the Sako Optiloks work on Tikka's that is your best bet...they are rock solid and won't leave ring marks on your scope. If you are using up to a 42mm scope the extra lows work well.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM

got it figured out...thanks

Last edited by therealj; 02-04-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
got it figured out...thanks
I looked up the specs on the rifle you bought and found the following:

"TIKKA T3 LITE is supplied without OPEN SIGHTS. Optionally available also with open sights with post bead where
the rear sight is adjustable sideways and front sight in elevation. Integral rails for the scope mounts are on the top of
the receiver
. Receiver is also tapped to receive standard (Weaver) scope mount bases."

If the claim on the rings you bought are correct, then the rings should fit in the dovetail grooves machined into the receiver, and you do not need bases. This is appears to be similar to the method used on 22 rimfires, but I did not think common in centerfires.

The only remaining issue is whether or not the scope objective clears the barrel. Again if the ring claims are correct (36-42) and your scope has a typical size OD at the objective end, then you should be ok.

Ron
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
X2 on the leupold rings and bases.
x3,strong and reasonably priced.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
I looked up the specs on the rifle you bought and found the following:

"TIKKA T3 LITE is supplied without OPEN SIGHTS. Optionally available also with open sights with post bead where
the rear sight is adjustable sideways and front sight in elevation. Integral rails for the scope mounts are on the top of
the receiver
. Receiver is also tapped to receive standard (Weaver) scope mount bases."

If the claim on the rings you bought are correct, then the rings should fit in the dovetail grooves machined into the receiver, and you do not need bases. This is appears to be similar to the method used on 22 rimfires, but I did not think common in centerfires.

The only remaining issue is whether or not the scope objective clears the barrel. Again if the ring claims are correct (36-42) and your scope has a typical size OD at the objective end, then you should be ok.

Ron
Ron, thanks for the help much appreciated. Everything you just told me was confirmed by the seller so I'd say I'm good to go. My scope is a 3-9x40 Nikon so it should fit just fine.