Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM

Talking Wood Duck Hunting in Manitoba?

Hey Everyone,

I saw a great episode of Canada in the Rough a while back, and they were hunting waterfowl in Southern Manitoba. In both a field shoot and a flooded wooded area hunt, they shot multiple wood ducks. Always something I've wanted to get, and I was thinking of doing a short road trip down there - perhaps even this fall.

Does anyone know much about where to find Woodies out there? And on a related note, are there any in SE Saskatchewan? I don't mind driving a bit further if I have the time, but I'm planning on having a Sask license this year anyways.

Are wood ducks fairly plentiful throughout Southern Manitoba, or are there particular pockets or parts of the province that have way more of them? Also, I'm thinking early to mid October is probably best for decent plumage before they migrate out? Do they head south early (like teal) or later on with the big ducks?

Any input would be appreciated. Not sure if I can make it this year or not with all of the other hunts I have planned, but that's never stopped me before!

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:59 PM

I'm not sure when I used to live there and hunt waterfowl I shot a few Woody's in the whiteshell area, I'm guessing they're fly way is Western Ontario Eastern Manitoba , contact Canada in the rough they'll probably have a on their website who they hunted with

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure when I used to live there and hunt waterfowl I shot a few Woody's in the whiteshell area, I'm guessing they're fly way is Western Ontario Eastern Manitoba , contact Canada in the rough they'll probably have a on their website who they hunted with.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Woodies

Shot a few in the rice bays on LOTW along with a few Black Ducks ...... this was back in the 80's so who knows now .....
Old 07-23-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
Shot a few in the rice bays on LOTW along with a few Black Ducks ...... this was back in the 80's so who knows now .....
Yes we used to have some fabulous duck shoots in the wild rice lakes off the Winnipeg River ,little Echo,

Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Yes

Old 07-23-2020, 01:21 PM

What is with these double posts

Old 07-23-2020, 02:07 PM

I used to live in SW MB and we would see them the odd time. We had a couple come into the decoys last year in September while I was there on my yearly waterfowl trip. This was in the Oak River/Cardale area. That area saw an absurd amount of rain at the end of June, so potholes might still be pretty full come fall.

I don't know about SE Sask, but there is enough wooded pothole country all along the border that theres likely some around.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Yes there is a handful of wood ducks over here. Your gonna want to hunt that Wawota country right up along the border of Manitoba.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 PM

Very cool information. Thanks guys!

I have been reading up on it a bit more and it seems like south central Manitoba is a reasonable bet. And after digging briefly, I think that TV show I was watching the outfitter was further West in the province. I'm heading down there in August to visit family (and driving down) so I'll bring the binos and do some casual scouting on the way. Long drive in October to shoot a few wood ducks, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Does anyone know their migration timing (for when the leave the province)? I know in Alberta the teal and some other puddle ducks will be largely gone by mid October (especially if there's a cold snap). I was thinking 3rd week of October could have some colored up drakes (and possibly snow geese in waves as well). But my only reason for driving 2 provinces East is the Woodies, so I would hate to show up a week after they've all left!

Any insight on this? Would 2nd week of October be a safer bet (and possibly still have some cranes there then as well?) Just trying to pick my best options. (This is me flagging snow geese by the way - not giving up! )
Old 07-27-2020, 09:02 AM

I’ve one in Calgary.. maybe someone will get lucky this fall and have one cruise by.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM

There is good numbers of wood ducks in BC in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island but you need to find the right pockets. Some also winter there so you can find some good looking birds too. My buddy takes lots of woodies in Chilliwack but he also has permission on some good fields

Just another option
Old 08-06-2020, 07:47 AM

You can shoot wood ducks in south east sask but I wouldn't be going in October, Id be going the first two weeks of September. There will be some drakes that are coloured out fairly well but not something youd want to mount. They leave early just like the teal. I did see a bunch of them in south west Manitoba end of last summer, Id think theres more on that side of the border as theres a lot more habitat for them over there
Old 08-06-2020, 01:00 PM

besides being a beautiful duck, are they decent eating too?
Old 08-06-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
besides being a beautiful duck, are they decent eating too?
Woodies are really good eating only better eating duck in my opinion is green wing teal
Old 08-08-2020, 10:43 PM

we Have wood ducks around here as well , they tend to be some of the first to leave in the fall churchbridge area
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 08-11-2020, 10:26 PM

Default Landowner Maps and Apps in Manitoba?

Thanks everyone. This is very interesting to research.

I'm starting to think that I might actually make it down there this fall. Heading down next week to visit family so plan to do a bit of pre-scouting and looking around to get a feel for a couple of areas.

Does anyone know how the mapping system works down there? Is it similar to Alberta with landowner maps based on specific zones? Or is there an app like iHunter that will work over there? I haven't looked into any of that yet. Any tips on that side?

I'm assuming a guy should be able to drive up to a local farmhouse, ask politely, and be good to go? (like in the good old days before technology!)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Repromap ltd is your source for landowner maps. They are located in Dauphin and do online and phone orders. They should have a map legend for the RM's you are interested in.....
Old 08-13-2020, 10:58 AM

You can also contact/stop by the individual Municipality offices for wherever you are hunting and get a current landowner map. Sounds like its not as convenient as Repromap though.

I tried using iHunter down there last year because we didn't have a map for Whitehead RM. It didn't have the landowner map overlay, as of last fall anyways. An app like LSD finder is handy to make sure you're calling the right guy for the right field.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:31 PM

There is even some wood ducks in Alberta. A couple years back we shot some on buffalo lake in the late season. After November 1 when the limits come off. And i've seen a pair on a wooded pond as well. I raise them in an aviary. very skiddish ducks. Never tried eating one yet though.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger535 View Post
There is even some wood ducks in Alberta. A couple years back we shot some on buffalo lake in the late season. After November 1 when the limits come off. And i've seen a pair on a wooded pond as well. I raise them in an aviary. very skiddish ducks. Never tried eating one yet though.

Yeah, I've heard the occasional one whips through around here. A buddy of mine has waited his whole life for a chance at one. A few years ago there was a pair 20 minutes from his house (in October). Nicely colored up drake and a hen.

He hunted that spot every day for about 10 days - passing up shots at greenheads and everything else just so he didn't dare blow the chance! Finally one morning the drake showed up (shining nicely in the sunshine) - flew by at 30 yards (a shot my buddy could make with his eyes closed!) and he proceeded to miss it - 3 times! :

He was sick about it for 2 weeks!

I don't think I'll drive all the way to Manitoba this year JUST for a wood duck or two - but if we head that way to see family you can bet my Lab and decoys will be in the truck with me.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger535 View Post

Was going to raise them as well.
Had almost all required & changed my mind.
You have pictures of your Aviary ?
Old 09-06-2020, 02:45 PM

Plenty on the rivers. Eastern MB more than western.

Brokenhead river
Pasqua River.
Even Red and Assiniboine rivers.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
Plenty on the rivers. Eastern MB more than western.

Brokenhead river
Pasqua River.
Even Red and Assiniboine rivers.

Interesting... I'm thinking we're not heading that way now this fall, but one of these days it will happen. If I didn't have a mulie tag in my pocket for the first time in years, October might be more flexible.

Bad deer hunters need to scout too!