Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 09:54 PM

If you are looking for a system that is efficient, easy and gives amazing results the Wicked Edge is nearly impossible to beat. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:02 PM

I use mostly water stones...I’ve mentioned that before.

https://www.gessweincanada.com/category-s/11301.htm

I also use these, mostly for carving chisels but Craytex is a great product.
I mount a wheel on a bench grinder without guards ...turn it around backwards so the wheel is spinning away from you and allows you to see the knife/tool edge.

They don’t heat up the metal that much and cut well, a low speed grinder is best.

Also works great for Broadheads.

- Remember For safety Don’t ever run the wheel towards you always away.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you want to give one a try let me know and I will drop mine off for you at work. Take a cheap knife, even a butter knife, so you aren't risking anything and play with it a bunch. See what you think of it.
Thanks for the offer. I screwed my shoulder a couple weeks ago, bad enough the doc says it will be out of commission a couple months, but afterwords I may take you up on the offer.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
If you are looking for a system that is efficient, easy and gives amazing results the Wicked Edge is nearly impossible to beat. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.
It beats up on most systems pretty handily.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2020, 01:00 PM

Where did you guys using wicked edge buy it from? And which system are you using?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
Where did you guys using wicked edge buy it from? And which system are you using?

You can try one but the one I used was basically an expensive, complicated Lansky style sharpener that required really good coordination to use both stones at the same time. I sent mine back for a refund.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:52 PM

I find the opposite. Easy to use, and easy to maintain an edge. It took about three knives to break in the stones and get the hang of it.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
If you do not have a lot of experience stay far away from any of the electric types, especially the belt type ones. It is very easy to mess up a good knife if you don't use them exactly right.
Solid advice. In fact, even if you have a lot of experience, I'd say stay away from the electric ones as a rule of thumb. My wife got me one before the Edge Pro system and it sucked big time. I tried it for a while on our house knives but never liked the job it did on them.

FWIW, my wife is the research queen. She always researches in depth and checks reviews and such before ever making a choice so the electric unit she bought me was highly rated. It just didn't do a very good job. The knives lost their edges quickly and you had to run them through the sharpener again way too soon. Typically I can maintain the edge on a house knife for a long time even though I use them almost daily by touching the edges up on a steel. I typically only get my Edge Pro out once a year on the house knives.

I looked at videos of the Lansky and Wicked Edge systems and IMHO, all 3 (including my Edge Pro) are very similar in form and function. The Lansky looks to be the easiest to use. The one video I watched on the Wicked Edge mentioned how expensive they are so I checked. They are definitely more expensive than the other two!

Had it been me doing the research/purchase I probably would have bought the Lansky because it was the least expensive of the 3 systems. However, I would have liked to compare stones IRL (not likely) before choosing. The stones are going to be what makes the biggest difference between the 3 systems.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-10-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I have a lot of experience sharpening knives and own almost every kind of sharpening system around. For someone just learning, it is very hard to beat the Lansky type system. I have one with Diamond hones and it does a great job on all types of knives and all types of steel, even real hard high Rockwell S90V or D2. GATCO brought out a similar sharpener and the one my buddy has I actually like even better than my original Lansky. It has much wider stones, the rods are fixed to the stone so they aren't getting loose as you use them, is easier to use and sharpens the same knife in about a 2/3s the time it takes with the Lansky. I would buy the GATCO if I was getting one today but mMake sure you go for the Diamond stone version.

If you do not have a lot of experience stay far away from any of the electric types, especially the belt type ones. It is very easy to mess up a good knife if you don't use them exactly right.

Lansky

Gatco

I have been using the Gatco diamond kit for many years, I much prefer it to the Lansky system, and it works well on every blade that I have tried it on.