Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Count me in. I would like to stretch it out to 2000m. I shot at 1000yrds a lot with bingoo1010 and it is a blast. I too like the idea of the toonie. I would like to take some cash from you bingo1010.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM

well folks this thread kind of died so i am here to revive it. i am willing to put on a shoot of some sort on my property. this is what i am thinking..... the weekend of april 17/18 works best for me (as i have to be there). targets will be from 200-1000 yards. i am thinking along the lines of a tactical shoot layout( with 2 people working together as a team), there will be a variety of shooting positions/senerios. it would be geared more towards long range rifles as opposed to hunting type rifles....guns that will shoot 1 moa type thing. what i am looking for is input, from those that would possibly attend, on what you would like to see so far as entry fee/prizes, shoot times (friday, saturday,sunday??), different target type ideas, and just plain thoughts in general. there would be camping space available as this is right next door to the middle of nowhere. post your thoughts or feel free to pm me with what you think. with any luck this could turn out to be a yearly thing. later
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Where are you located Bingo? Somewhere down south if I remember?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM

oh ya i forgot to mention i am about 1 hr se of camrose. kind of close to forestburg/galahad/heisler/castor/alliance.... in that general area
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 PM

I may be interested, but mostly for learning, i doubt i will be able to show anybody anything, except maybe how to burn up the ammo.

Can i bring out some 18' 2x4s to post up beside the targets, kinda like a storey board in construction, then i can use my tape measure to measure my holdover up from the bull, should be able to hit every time then.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 PM

if you have a couple 18' 2x4's you can nail together, I have a 22 hornet you can use

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Hornet shoots too flat, im gonna stuff some 200 grainers in my mod 94 trapper in 30-30, i think i might have a 44-40 i can borrow too.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Sounds fun.
Ill come, but only if I can have Chuck and Rackmastr as my spotters!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Hugin&munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
You would be suprized at what people can shoot, Im set up for F/TR 1000yrd comp and it wouldent suprize me a bit if somone outshot me with an old hunting rifle with practice,practice,practice Im ok with that.If anyone has a chance look up Carlos Hathcock the best sniper that ever lived (a hero of mine) he did increadible things with a simple rifle
Carlos Hathcock is one thing but how about the canadian sniper from edmonton in 2004 2430m confirmed(maby get him to come)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM

So would this be a start at 200 and count groups out to 1000, 3 shot rounds, or is it a lob in until you are on target for spoilers, then count 3 after resetting?

I would love to come out and play, but it would be with the hunting rifle(s), because I don't have a sniper rifle.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM

I've never shot that far either but would love to give it a go. Only shot to 500 yards and that was an eye opener to say the least. Keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Sounds like fun! ... always up for a road trip!!

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 AM

I only shoot out to 100yds, so 1000 should be the same... just farther away It would be fun but too far away for me. And I wouldn't show anybody anything except how not to shoot.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Gone Hunting

I live in Camrose and I will come
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM

not sure if this will kill the interest in this shoot or not, but i was thinking more along the lines of long range rifles as opposed to hunting types. it is pretty hard to accurately shoot a standard hunting rifle out to 1000 yards...unless you have a decent scope with enough internal adjustment and repeatability. more along the lines of this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0031.JPG (184.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Unless you have an accurate rifle regardless if it is of "sniper" design and a scope with adequate adjustments. Shooting out to 2000m is an absolute crap shoot....more so than it already can be.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Hey Bingo, how about some details on that rig? Looks like she'll get it done!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM

I have a rifle in mind that will need some tweeking, but i thought it would be fun just to come out and enjoy the day shooting, regardless of what you have. I wouldn't care if i was throwing lead in the general direction of the 1000 yd butt, it would still be fun.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
not sure if this will kill the interest in this shoot or not, but i was thinking more along the lines of long range rifles as opposed to hunting types. it is pretty hard to accurately shoot a standard hunting rifle out to 1000 yards...unless you have a decent scope with enough internal adjustment and repeatability. more along the lines of this....
If whoever is putting the shoot on, says "only sniper rifles can be brought" it will kill interest for everyone that does not have one. If you can shoot 'what u brung,' it will be fine.

If there are too many rules and guidlines and regulations before setting foot on the land, above and beyone standard safe shooting practise, people will not show up.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If whoever is putting the shoot on, says "only sniper rifles can be brought" it will kill interest for everyone that does not have one. If you can shoot 'what u brung,' it will be fine.

If there are too many rules and guidlines and regulations before setting foot on the land, above and beyone standard safe shooting practise, people will not show up.
What the H*LL constiutes a "sniper rifle" anyhoo??!!
If one looks at the early sniper rifles, they are nothing more than accurized 700's, 70's, '98's, etc - INCLUDING for the #4T Enfield action!!

Almost any rifle can be dubbed a "sniper rifle", especially when it is shot by a sniper, a model issued to snipers, or simply made to resemble a sniper rifle.

HOWEVER, that does not automaticlly make them more accurate that a well made custom long range hunting rifle- whatever that constitutes!

Cat
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM

i agree with cat, just because the pic of the gun i posted has a camo paint job doesn't make it a "sniper rifle", besides even if there were no "rules" prior to the shoot the fun for the guys shooting hunting type rifles would come to an abrupt end when shooting at 1000 yards and they are trying to hold over 15-20 feet above the target, meanwhile the guys with the "sniper rifles" are hitting 4L milk jugs. not bragging or saying anything about anyones ability but shooting to 1000 yards does require some special equipment if you intend on hitting anything.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
i agree with cat, just because the pic of the gun i posted has a camo paint job doesn't make it a "sniper rifle", besides even if there were no "rules" prior to the shoot the fun for the guys shooting hunting type rifles would come to an abrupt end when shooting at 1000 yards and they are trying to hold over 15-20 feet above the target, meanwhile the guys with the "sniper rifles" are hitting 4L milk jugs. not bragging or saying anything about anyones ability but shooting to 1000 yards does require some special equipment if you intend on hitting anything.
A good hunting rifle with a good scope can shoot out to 1000 yards no problem. the scope just has to have the ajustments to get the rounds out there, holding over at 1000 yards is next to impossible.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM

i agree 100%...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
A good hunting rifle with a good scope can shoot out to 1000 yards no problem. the scope just has to have the ajustments to get the rounds out there, holding over at 1000 yards is next to impossible.
Actually on a fixed target of known size, and with a reticle that many modern tactical scopes employ, it is not as hard as it sounds.

However, one has to have a very good spotter who knows how to dope wind well.
THEN it is not impossible.
However, for those that think a good spotter is simply a person with good eyes, think about this.
1 minute of wind at 1,000 yards is 10 inches.

many times , a shooter must either wait out a wind condition, or try to shoot through it.
If the spotter knows that the condition is is going change, he can tell the shooter to wait, otherwise he must be able to give him a precise amount of hold over, which can be as much as 14 to 20 minutes on a good day!
This is why many shooters use their turrets instead of holing over, it's simply easier to adjust than to hold way over one way or the other.
On a small object, turreting is generally easier, butwhen conditions are nasty with wind and and big mirage , it is sometimes faster to hold over with a scope.

I was talking to an ex 2RCR sniper a few years back, and mentioned that we had jsust finished a shoot , and that we had sometimes as much as 20 minutes of wind at 500 meters.
" Ten minutes?" he asked " Jeez, you had a good day!"

There are a few old school shooters on this board that are VERY good at doping wind, and by that I mean being able to judge conditions well on ranges other than their own.
Being able to do it WITHOUT sighters is an art in itself, whether done by turreting or holding over, and just as important as being able to actually shoot at distance!
Cat
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM

no doubt about it, the guys that reads the wind best hits the most. once you know your vertical you don't touch it...unless there is a nasty vertical component to the wind!!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 PM

You should have an iron sights class. Not out to 2000 yards or anything but it would be cool.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM

i am not to sure what to do here, my steel targets won't take magnums under 500 yards and quite frankly i find shooting under 500 boring (with a scope that is) i was hoping there would be more interest from those that have equipment to shoot to 1000 but i doesn't appear to be materializing.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 AM

I wish I had the gun to do it but I am still young and dont have all the $ for the toys... Soon
Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM

a word of advice for ya...don't buy the cheap stuff. save your pennies and do it right the first time. if you buy the cheap crap it is only a matter of time before you dish out the cash and replace it with what you wanted in the first place.....been there done that.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
i am not to sure what to do here, my steel targets won't take magnums under 500 yards and quite frankly i find shooting under 500 boring (with a scope that is) i was hoping there would be more interest from those that have equipment to shoot to 1000 but i doesn't appear to be materializing.
Distance is the problem unfortunately ,for Zippo4570 and myself, we simply cannot get away for a shoot these days that far south, otherwise both of us would attend.

getting to Edmonton is a big thing for us!
Cat