Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Halfords new catalogue prices!

Looking through the new catalogue could not help but notice the higher prices. Comparing my receipts from October and December there is a 16% increase on all the traps and power snares that I have purchased!

Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM

I guess with the U.S. dollar creeping up they figure they can jack the prices up a bit. Maybe somebody forgot to tell them oil prices are in the chitter and the world is ending ;(
Old 03-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Looking through the new catalogue could not help but notice the higher prices. Comparing my receipts from October and December there is a 16% increase on all the traps and power snares that I have purchased!

lol Don't worry though you need to support Canadian business and re mortgage your house now so you can buy traps in Canada. Our prices here in Canada are a joke for the most part. It doesn't make sense even with the $ the way it is
Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Halfords new catalogue

I buy all my stuff from F&T in the states. Half the price for a better selection, and less than half the price for shipping. Also great guys to deal with. It's a no brainer.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Looked at prices at F&T in the states. If you buy 12 or more Belisle 160's from Halfords you will pay $16.95. F&T has them advertised at $161.95 for a dozen...that's $13.50 each. Now, that is in US$. Say 20 cents to the dollar comes out to $16.20 each. Add shipping and customs/duty and I believe you are ahead just to go to Halfords and buy them there!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM

also, orders over 350$, you get 10% off. which pretty much pays for the shipping. sometimes more. from the stuff i've got from halfords. better yet if you can go pick it up. and i'm sure, i'm not the only person that calls the local guy(not halfords) and asks "so and so, has the stuff at this price. what are you going to do for me?"

it always works in my favour.

myself, i like to pay with usd$ for stuff, here in canada. for an even bigger discount. everybody likes US cash.

but hey, its your money.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Yup, the tanning solution in the orange bottle is up 3$ too. As with several other items.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 PM

You guys should try Long Creek they are in New Brunswick, 14.75 CDN plus shipping.
Also check the prices on snares.
If you are gone place a decent order, call them and they will give you a break on shipping.
They also do special orders.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Banned

Iv'e always thought Halfords were a little pricey, but they have stuff you can't find anywhere else. I'm not a fan of online shopping, and Halfords is quite handy for me. I love the smell of that place as you walk in the door.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Default traps

Guys, how about supporting the ATA in Westlock. It will benefit us in the long run. Prices are similar.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:02 AM

Belisle 160's at Halfords are $16.95. The ATA has them for $20. I wouldn't call a 18% price difference similar. I absolutely support there ATA where I can...but am always trying to be smart about how I spend my money.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Say 20 cents to the dollar comes out to $16.20 each.
It's actually more like 25 cents on the dollar making it $16.88
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

With the low Canadian $ and the higher USPS rates, depending on what you are ordering, it doesn't always make a lot of sense to order from the US. I bought my last supplies at Halfords for about the same as what it would have cost me to have it shipped from the US. Just sayin'.....
Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
lol Don't worry though you need to support Canadian business and re mortgage your house now so you can buy traps in Canada. Our prices here in Canada are a joke for the most part. It doesn't make sense even with the $ the way it is
We get paid from NAFA in US dollars ,so exchange means nothing. I agree with you and refuse to pay way more here than I can from down south .
Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
With the low Canadian $ and the higher USPS rates, depending on what you are ordering, it doesn't always make a lot of sense to order from the US. I bought my last supplies at Halfords for about the same as what it would have cost me to have it shipped from the US. Just sayin'.....
I have been pricing out some footholds and I have found the same as you Dave. Buy the time the exchange happens and shipping. ( once they find out you are from Canada they tack on 15$). I have not found any great savings. What would help with the savings is to save on the shipping to Canada. If you knew someone coming back from the states that is how you'd save the $50. I am constantly pricing out stuff and looking for deals. Ya the numbers look good in the states but its good if you are there or we have a strong dollar.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
We get paid from NAFA in US dollars ,so exchange means nothing. I agree with you and refuse to pay way more here than I can from down south .

you nafa cheque was in USD$??
Old 03-09-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
you nafa cheque was in USD$??
I think you know what I mean .. but feel free to buy your stuff here .
Old 03-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I think you know what I mean .. but feel free to buy your stuff here .

i actually don't know what you mean. we don't get payed from nafa in usd$. the exchange rate means alot more than nothing.unless you have US cash.

again, its your money. do as you want. i do. some stuff, you just can't get here.

its a small community.personally, i'ld rather support suppliers from quebec. than the states.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Footholds might be pretty close in price but there is a lot of stuff that is just too insane of a price diff. Check out snare prices
http://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SNARE400

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS..._ACSNARESTNGR1

Who in their right mind would pay this for a dozen snares???
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM

who in their right mind would buy a premade snare?

someone who is lazy, and isn't seriously looking to save money.

sure, you can get cheap, chinese "knock off" stuff from the snareshop.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:07 PM

Never looked at the "Snare shop" before, that is cheap for a dozen snares. I buy mine from Gordy's place and way over pay, but for the 30 snares a year I use I'm not out that bad.
At those prices you'd have a hard time building them cheaper then you could buy them for. Unless you have a young Mexican kid on the payroll
Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Just like tying my own pike flys I like to make my own snares....just that little bit extra satisfaction of finding a catch in a homemade snare....

LC
Old 03-09-2015, 05:22 PM

can only guess, but i'll bet gordys not using cheap, low grade, chinese cable and cheap chinese parts.

you get what you pay for.

there is a big difference in good cable vs cheap cable. premium parts vs low grade/cost parts aswell.

those "death blow" cam locks do look very good, from the snare shop. but they are pretty much the same price as a similar lock from marty.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
can only guess, but i'll bet gordys not using cheap, low grade, chinese cable and cheap chinese parts.

there is a big difference in good cable vs cheap cable. premium parts vs low grade/cost parts aswell.

those "death blow" cam locks do look very good, from the snare shop. but they are pretty much the same price as a similar lock from marty.
Is that what the snare shop uses ? cheap Chinese parts ?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:12 PM

fore sure. cheap cable, cheap parts = cheap product. when you see a huge price differences. its allways the reason. large volume also helps.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
fore sure. cheap cable, cheap parts = cheap product. when you see a huge price differences. its allways the reason. large volume also helps.
Thanks Bragg, I wasn't sure if it was just the volume or if they are indeed using inferior parts.

Has anybody that has purchased these have problems with failures ? Did you Bragg ? Is that how you know they're built with inferior parts ?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:02 PM

i've never, and wouldn't ever, buy a premade snare from them.

but i can say that bad cable doesn't load aswell, comes off the spool strange,kinks,defects, ect. same thing with all sizes of cable.in all applications.

less strength in the springs.cheap locks don't hold/function aswell.

theres no way you could build a snare, that cheap. unless your using cheap parts/cable.

will an inferior snare still kill a coyote/wolf? absolutely.

if your goal is to harvest as quickly/humanely as possible. you get what you pay for.

superfast, humane harvests = better pelt quality = better end product. in the end, equals more money.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I'll respond to a couple remarks in one post , yes we get canadian dollars for our furs , my remark was that exchange is made up for on US bought products because we got it back on our furs . Myself I'll buy from the states instead of good old Quebec ..lol .Death blows are a good looking lock and tho I haven't used them yet , I will this fall after recomendations by a couple AO forum members . Guess I'm the lazy one as all my snares are pre made , not from snareshop tho so I cant speak for their quality . I have never had a failure from mine from Dakotaline . They do have one weakpoint tho , and that is the BAD's . They are claimed to be 285 #'s and are much heavier than Martys 265#'s so I switched them all out for his lighter ones , you'll be proud of me here tho cause I did it all by myself ..lol . Checked in the new Halfords catalog again and yes , some prices are very close when all is figured in , it comes down to whatever you are happy with . You should check out some of the "other guys " products before you cllaim they are inferior .
Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 PM

"inferior" was a bad choice in words on my part. i should of stuck with "cheap"

my bad,,,sorry.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
"inferior" was a bad choice in words on my part. i should of stuck with "cheap"

my bad,,,sorry.
No problem , I'd rather be cheap than inferior .. lol .