Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 12:42 PM

Default Used bows

Anyone know where a guy can go look at / buy used bows? Besides here, of course, are there any good bow "classifieds" out there?

I'm of the "buy once - cry once" type, but if a guy can save a few bucks on a higher end bow, why not, right?

This year will be my first kick at the hunting can, but I sure wish I was already out there. A bow gets me that opportunity.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:14 PM

What is your budget and what make do you want. I have a left handed Hoyt havoc tec I am thinking of selling since I hunt with crossbow now.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:52 PM

Maybe try Gunpost. They have an archery section.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
What is your budget and what make do you want. I have a left handed Hoyt havoc tec I am thinking of selling since I hunt with crossbow now.
Well, like I said, I'm a buy once, cry once buyer, so budget is whatever, really. I'd prefer to get something that is essentially ready to go "out of the box". Obviously, I'd need to make adjustments for my own body, etc, but a package would be sweet.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm a righty.
Old 09-25-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Well, like I said, I'm a buy once, cry once buyer, so budget is whatever, really. I'd prefer to get something that is essentially ready to go "out of the box". Obviously, I'd need to make adjustments for my own body, etc, but a package would be sweet.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm a righty.
Have you ever been sized up or shot a compound bow previously?

If not, I would highly recommend going to a dedicated archery shop. Might cost a bit more but a bow not properly size and set up for you is basically worthless, and it won't matter how much money you save going used.

I buy all my bows used, but I have a complete shop at home and can do all my own work. The last 5-6 bows I have purchased have all been from dedicated archery chat and classified groups on Facebook.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Have you ever been sized up or shot a compound bow previously?

If not, I would highly recommend going to a dedicated archery shop. Might cost a bit more but a bow not properly size and set up for you is basically worthless, and it won't matter how much money you save going used.

I buy all my bows used, but I have a complete shop at home and can do all my own work. The last 5-6 bows I have purchased have all been from dedicated archery chat and classified groups on Facebook.
I actually haven't. I measured to get a good "guesstimate" of my draw length, but that's about it.

Can you recommend a GOOD archery shop, with people that actually know what they're doing? Jim Bows? Can you also suggest some good FB pages?

I would, of course, be looking for used options that are properly sized, once I know that info (and have every intention of getting that info). I won't be doing anything for this hunting season anyway, but perhaps next, so I do have quite a bit of time. I also live on an acreage, so have plenty of room to practice.

Last edited by X-Treme; 09-25-2024 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I actually haven't. I measured to get a good "guesstimate" of my draw length, but that's about it.

Can you recommend a GOOD archery shop, with people that actually know what they're doing? Jim Bows? Can you also suggest some good FB pages?

I would, of course, be looking for used options that are properly sized, once I know that info (and have every intention of getting that info). I won't be doing anything for this hunting season anyway, but perhaps next, so I do have quite a bit of time. I also live on an acreage, so have plenty of room to practice.
Jimbows is a great option as is Accurate Archery in Spruce Grove.

If you go on Facebook and search up "Archery", there will be several results. Each sight has an admin which my ask you a few questions or maybe post a hunting picture of yourself to prove you are not an anti.

Using common sense, I haven't been scam yet. Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably a scam. Also you can ask the seller for references from other Members with more dated join dates.

Good Luck
Old 09-25-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Whats your draw length and where are you located? I have a rh Hoyt fully set up that im looking to move. Only missing a release. Pm me if your interested.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Anyone know where a guy can go look at / buy used bows? Besides here, of course, are there any good bow "classifieds" out there?

I'm of the "buy once - cry once" type, but if a guy can save a few bucks on a higher end bow, why not, right?

This year will be my first kick at the hunting can, but I sure wish I was already out there. A bow gets me that opportunity.

That's ambitious...

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-25-2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
That's ambitious...
How hard can it be right? Just grab a bow a 1/2 dozen arrows and go hunting... easy peazy.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
How hard can it be right? Just grab a bow a 1/2 dozen arrows and go hunting... easy peazy.
It may get him out there, and that's all he was wishing for....
Old 09-26-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It may get him out there, and that's all he was wishing for....
And some of us wish for new hunters to be competent with their weapons before shooting at wildlife.

Its good ethics for the hunters, and good mentorship to teach a new hunter.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM

I like Jim bows, I went looking to upgrade my bow and I told the guy my budget and he told me the current bow I hunt with was better kept for the budget I had so I just bought a dozen more arrows. I liked that they never tried to upsell me on something I didn't need
Old 09-26-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Whats your draw length and where are you located? I have a rh Hoyt fully set up that im looking to move. Only missing a release. Pm me if your interested.
I'm about 29.4" according to the Hoyt website "estimator". Edmonton area.
Old 09-26-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And some of us wish for new hunters to be competent with their weapons before shooting at wildlife.

Its good ethics for the hunters, and good mentorship to teach a new hunter.
Firstly, I'm not some complete retard, and am fully ethical about everything I'm doing. I have a mentor (he can't use a compound bow - uses crossbow) helping me already, with access to a ton of land/property to hunt. I have spent the last year+ fine tuning my rifle, gear, knowledge etc. to be ready for this season, but still will not take a questionable shot.

I also noted that I'm not going to be using a bow this season at all. Just starting my research to hopefully be ready for next season. I also have lots of room at home for practicing and "perfecting" the archery craft.

So, no, I'm not gonna go grab a bow and a bunch of arrows and go kill something tomorrow, but a guy has got to start his research somewhere. Suggesting I'm incompetent or not ethical is a stretch, no?

Last edited by X-Treme; 09-26-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I like Jim bows, I went looking to upgrade my bow and I told the guy my budget and he told me the current bow I hunt with was better kept for the budget I had so I just bought a dozen more arrows. I liked that they never tried to upsell me on something I didn't need
Good to know. Thanks!