Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Holy CRAP!! Glad you are alive Keg, any idea what went wrong?
Ice?
Cat
Old 10-18-2019, 05:20 PM

I am sad to read this story and am relieved to read that you are ok. Thank the angels that you slid off the dirt end of the bridge. Sorry you lost your truck.

Something to consider... I was told by a doctor that pain and trauma type injury symptoms sometimes do not appear for up to 48 hours. I hope this doesn't happen but be prepared. Keep a journal.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Holy crap Keg! That was a bad one. Glad to hear you're OK. I've never been in a rollover, touch wood. Scary stuff and as you say, things can change in a second.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Default yup

Good that you are here to talk about it. I'm looking for new tires as I had the same thing happen this week on a bridge but was able to keep it right side up.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Glad to hear you are ok. Scary accident. Make sure u do followups and if there's any pain, record it.

Just one general comment, you should always expect ice/slippery conditions on bridges, the inherent nature of cold air underneath, sun on top mixed with any moisture create ideal conditions for ice.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Holy crap, Keg!

I respect everyone on AO, but you are one of a select few that reached out to help myself and my friend from Fox when he almost lost his leg. Always had high regard for you.

I am super glad you are all right ... you're absolutely right, most of us have seen it at some point in our lives ... it literally only takes a second.

I have literally almost wrecked in exactly the same conditions on exactly that same bridge if I know where it was ....

My ex and I were driving to BC and ended up sideways in the middle of the bridge staring at an oncoming 18 wheeler... I was driving a little Ford Ranger and the back end went out on me faster than you could say lickey split. Was south of HL but well before Manning. I'm doubly guessing where it is because I think I recognize the storage yard beside the gas station in manning in the pic...

I'm super glad you are all right and you seem to be pretty accepting and philosophical about it ..

No concussion?

*worried*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It was a pleasant fall morning. It had rained lightly the evening before, but nothing major. The morning was sunny with some dense fog patches, but no issues with the roads.

The was a bit of ice on the windshield but not a lot. Just some lumps where water had formed droplets, and a very light film that melted away before the truck was actually warm inside.

No snow, the roads were almost dry. I checked for traction when set out and all seem fine.

Forty miles south and three bridges later I cruised onto a small bridge on a straight level section of highway. There was nothing out of the ordinary so far as I could see. Then everything went sideways, quiet literally.

One moment it was a normal morning and then I was broadside in the middle of the bridge. I tried to steer out of it but it had no effect.

Fifty feet past the bridge the truck left the road and started to roll.
The next few seconds are a blur of flying glass and things spinning.
When everything came to a stand still I was hanging upside down from my seat, looking at the world sideways.

Within seconds someone yelled at me asking "Are you okay in there" I yelled back, "No, I'm bleeding bad from my head."

I took some paper towel off a roll I had in the truck and held it to the top of my head which seemed to be where the blood was coming from.

Then I did a somersault out of the driver seat, landing on the passenger door. I was about to try to climb up and out the drivers side window when people outside told me the back window was blown out and I could get out that way.

In the end they took me to hospital by ambulance but aside frm some cuts on my scalp, a couple of bruises and some bits of glass in my hide, I was fine.

My truck, not so much.

It was such a good truck too. Over 200,000 km and it still had it's original starter and alternator. In fact the only work done to the power train was oil changes and spark plugs changed.

I guess I'll have to start looking for another vehicle. I'm thinking I might buy a used truck like the one I had. Maybe a couple of years newer but not New. I don't want new. I won't have a driving license long enough to get my moneys worth out of a new vehicle.

For now we are a one vehicle family and I'm about to head out to do the last show of the year.

I hate leaving the wife at home without transportation, but I have a business to run and costumers to supply.

See you all down the road somehwere.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Your one of the good guys Keg, glad you came out this as well as you did.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Divine intervention .
Could have ended up so much worse. Glad all is well.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Sure glad you made it. Having survived a fatal car wreck as a child I have seen how fast life can change without warning.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure everyone who reads this will be thinking about it and will be extra vigilant on the roads.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:24 PM

Flashback to New Years Day in the late 70's driving from the Peg to Red Mountain in BC.

About a couple of Km from Regina, buddy driving his old Volvo, I drove all night and just switched drivers. Road seems clear and dry.
Sun just coming up beauty day and Buddy wakes me as the front end slides into the center ditch-deep snow and we end over end at 70 miles an hour and slide on the roof for a ridiculously long way. Ended up a few hundred yards from SGI

Fueling pouring in the back, my door pinned in the snow. We booted out the windshield.
Both of us suffered zero injuries

40 years later and I often reflect just how could our perfect little beauty of day turn so bad in a quick moment. Still not exactly sure why it happened which is a bit un-nerving.
So glad to hear that you survived a potentially fatal situation

Last edited by omega50; 10-18-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Holy crap Keg, I am glad your ok. Like others have said keep a journal as soft tissue damage doesn't always show up right away.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 PM

Glad to hear that you are okay.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM

Glad you are ok , thats what matter the most .
Old 10-19-2019, 02:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
This happen on the whitemud bridge by chance?

That's the one!

Seems kinda odd doesn't it. It's flat and straight there. I would think the bridge on the third would be much more likely to ice up, but it was fine that morning.

It did occur to me that because the Whitemud bridge is on a flood plain that might have something to do with it. And it may have been colder there then at home. It was only -1 in Hawk Hills that morning.

Still, I have never heard of a bridge icing up that early in the year.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 02:25 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Holy CRAP!! Glad you are alive Keg, any idea what went wrong?
Ice?
Cat
Yeah, the bridge was a skating rink. Worst I have ever seen.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I am sad to read this story and am relieved to read that you are ok. Thank the angels that you slid off the dirt end of the bridge. Sorry you lost your truck.

Something to consider... I was told by a doctor that pain and trauma type injury symptoms sometimes do not appear for up to 48 hours. I hope this doesn't happen but be prepared. Keep a journal.
That's what they told me at the hospital. They were very through but found nothing but cuts and bruises and glass in my hide.

I'm past the 48 hour mark now so it looks like I escaped the worst of it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
That's what they told me at the hospital. They were very through but found nothing but cuts and bruises and glass in my hide.

I'm past the 48 hour mark now so it looks like I escaped the worst of it.
This is good. Coming out relatively unscathed I hope you can rest assured that you do have a purpose and have some work left to do here.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-19-2019, 02:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Holy crap, Keg!

I have literally almost wrecked in exactly the same conditions on exactly that same bridge if I know where it was ....

I was driving a little Ford Ranger and the back end went out on me faster than you could say lickey split. Was south of HL but well before Manning. I'm doubly guessing where it is because I think I recognize the storage yard beside the gas station in manning in the pic...

No concussion?

*worried*

No, no concussion, thank God! Just a sore neck and some cuts and bruises.

This happened at the Whitemud bridge south of Dixonville. I had already crossed the Miekle, the Hotchkiss and the Notikewin bridges and they were fine.

The yard is Manning Collision's yard next to North Town Esso, that's the one you were thinking of isn't it?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
This is good. Coming out relatively unscathed I hope you can rest assured that you do have a purpose and have some work left to do here.

You know, that never ceases to amaze me. Why me! I have no doubt that you are right but I can not imagine why that might be, or what that purpose might be.
I have no special skills or attributes to offer. And I sure have not lived a clean life. But it seems the Lord sees it differently.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 08:32 AM

wow, glad you survived relatively unscathed, some people weren't so lucky. very difficult to detect black ice at the best of times and a lot of people have been bitten by it. hope you find a decent vehicle and get on with your life.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Keg I am so glad you came out of that with as little injury as you did! This post also will cause others to think and be more careful on the road and bridges. I would suggest thinking about getting some good dedicated winter tires. I know it gets expensive but in my years of driving there is times they can be invaluable. A couple times I have avoided accidents as I had just enough traction to get out of the way of someone out of control. With any other tire other than a winter studded I probably would of been in a serious accident. In the past I have had tires that were good brand new on either mud, snow or ice, however after 25% to 30% wear the grip changed a lot. A good brand of dedicated winters have grip through the winters on ice, and start to lack a bit first on deep snow as the treads get low. Also found that as a tire ages the rubber can change really affecting grip. There can little change each year and then all of a sudden big change in 6 months. As to your question why me, aren't you exactly the type of person that God chose time after time throughout the bible?
Old 10-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Glad you are ok. The world more than ever, needs salt of the earth people, like you.

Have a great weekend.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Keg I am so glad you came out of that with as little injury as you did! This post also will cause others to think and be more careful on the road and bridges. I would suggest thinking about getting some good dedicated winter tires. I know it gets expensive but in my years of driving there is times they can be invaluable. A couple times I have avoided accidents as I had just enough traction to get out of the way of someone out of control. With any other tire other than a winter studded I probably would of been in a serious accident. In the past I have had tires that were good brand new on either mud, snow or ice, however after 25% to 30% wear the grip changed a lot. A good brand of dedicated winters have grip through the winters on ice, and start to lack a bit first on deep snow as the treads get low. Also found that as a tire ages the rubber can change really affecting grip. There can little change each year and then all of a sudden big change in 6 months. As to your question why me, aren't you exactly the type of person that God chose time after time throughout the bible?
I have experienced what good studded winter tires can do. If I were still working for a living I would have them but I do so little driving on bad roads these days it didn't seem to make economic sense, especially when one's only income is a pension.
However, I am seriously considering making the investment. We may have to tighten our belts a bit more, but there is no way I want to go through that again.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Glad you are ok. The world more than ever, needs salt of the earth people, like you.

Have a great weekend.

Thank you. It's the way everyone I know well is, and most AO members are as well.

Where else would one have a friend, hundreds of miles away, offer the use of their truck as our own Ken did.

Thank you again Ken. You are top shelf my friend.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thank you. It's the way everyone I know well is, and most AO members are as well.

Where else would one have a friend, hundreds of miles away, offer the use of their truck as our own Ken did.

Thank you again Ken. You are top shelf my friend.
I'd say one heck of a great guy.....unless it was a ford he was offering.
Just kidding.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrapper View Post
i'd say one heck of a great guy.....unless it was a ford he was offering.
Just kidding.
lol

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 PM

Geez, that's one to appreciate walking away from, glad it turned out that only the truck took a beating.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
I'd say one heck of a great guy.....unless it was a ford he was offering.
Just kidding.
Ha!!!

Shmartarsh lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Very happy to hear you are doing ok. You are right, life can change in the blink of an eye. Take care of yourself, rest up and best of luck in the truck shopping.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Banned

Keg. So glad to see you are relatively ok.

I know you said no concussion but from what you described and the after effects that sure sounds like it. Most doctors don't have a clue about concussions.

The best way and most modern way to treat this is to keep being active. It's one step at a time and then backing down the activity if it starts to bother you. If you feel the need to sleep.. SLEEP.

Walking a little bit is great way to start.

Good luck!