Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Default Anyone been out in Blackfoot

Anyone been seeing any Grouse in Blackfoot area?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:10 PM

I saw a couple when I pulled my trail camera a few weeks ago. I’d say no more or less than other years but I haven’t been in there much since July.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Did a good hike yesterday and plenty of grouse.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Did a good hike yesterday and plenty of grouse.
What area were you in?

Most years in Oct are good. I have spent 8hrs behind the dog over 2 days in 2 different areas this month and had only one flush so far! I was surprised...
Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 AM

South on 205 trail access.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM

There’s access on 205?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Dog question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
What area were you in?

Most years in Oct are good. I have spent 8hrs behind the dog over 2 days in 2 different areas this month and had only one flush so far! I was surprised...
Hi there. I am curious about hunting with the dog in the Blackfoot. Do you keep it on a leash (that doesn't make sense) or is there a hunting exception for the dog on a leash? There is a guy that lives nearby that rides horseback in there that is relentless about dogs being on leashes. Gave me a hard time once out hiking across an open field. Just wondering. My dog isnt a bird dog.
kidd
Old 10-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
Hi there. I am curious about hunting with the dog in the Blackfoot. Do you keep it on a leash (that doesn't make sense) or is there a hunting exception for the dog on a leash? There is a guy that lives nearby that rides horseback in there that is relentless about dogs being on leashes. Gave me a hard time once out hiking across an open field. Just wondering. My dog isnt a bird dog.
kidd
Regulations require dogs on leash, but in practice they don't seem to mind off-leash bird dogs once in the park away from trail heads, and provided the dog is disciplined, not aggressive , chasing game etc.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
kidd
Dogs are allowed off leash provided they are in the act of hunting during the open bird season. They must be leashed in areas where discharge of a firearm is prohibited ( 400M from a staging area). They must be kept under control as to not harass wildlife or other users. They ask that you leash your dog while passing users on horseback. My beagle isnt exactly a bird dog but they have been ok with him off leash as long as I had the shotgun and discharge permit to prove I was hunting with him.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."