Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Simple effective squirrel killer/poison

Hi guys, the old lady’s dog died this spring which gave the squirrels an opportunity to chew through the OSB shed and set up for the winter. And holy crap did did they mean business, every extra eaves pipe, water-ski boots, lawnmower deck, spare mufflers, were all packed full. I scooped out at least 6 grain scoop shovels of apples, acorns, grass, feathers and mushrooms (all totalling maybe 50 lbs). It was quite amazing how they had the food categorized in groups like a buffet. Anyways all food and what not has been removed,and for now I have placed “rapid rid” (6 day treatment) rat pellet trays through-out the shed.

Is there anything more “deadly” and easy to acquire? We live in town so a new dog is not an option at this time. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 PM

cabelas, co-op and farm supply stores sell traps
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Pick up some rat traps Co-op should sell them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 11:14 PM

A small amount of antifreeze works well so long as you can keep other critters like cats and dogs away from drinking it. I never have squirrel problems anymore, but i used to. Used to have them causing havoc and storing stuff under the hood of my truck. Damaged some wiring etc.
A lid from a small jam jar with a small amount of antifreeze in it works up under the hood. I keep some anti freeze in the bottle in the bed of truck and when i need the truck i just dump any left over back into the bottle till i get home and start again. Only need it a few months every year when they are storing up for winter.
Dont like doing it,i know they gotta make a living but not at a cost to me. Cant shoot them in the city even with the slingshot to risky to be seen.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 AM
Banned

Have you considered a "live trap"?
Seems like every year I get a new squirrel living in my back yard.
A little peanut butter on a piece of bread in the trap and a few hours later... bingo!
Once caught, you can take the trap/squirrel into a forest and release. No harm, no foul.
Seems to me that poisoning the squirrel means a dead carcass rotting/stinking under the floor of your shed.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 AM

Do NOT kill those squirrels.
You are sitting on a goldmine.
With Xmas coming you could develop a line of the world's first custom Squirrel Curated Harvest Collections.

Just hire retrained oil patch workers to string all those pine cones and apples and mushrooms together into Xmas Wreaths.

Hot glue everything else to old gently chewed on "6 x 6" OSB panels and sell at a farmers market. Include a pic of the squirrel who you think is responsible with each purchase

The Greenies would eat it up.
Donate 5% of all proceeds to your favorite Squirrel Rescue.

As an ambassador for Alberta you could even gift some to Greta

Last edited by omega50; 10-18-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM

We have a serious mouse/vole infestation so I live trap the little buggers and relocate them to the wealthier neighborhoods. I find if you trap and relocate a squirrel another will move in pretty quick.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 PM

110 conibear with a peanut butter filled marshmallow for bait. I have 6 of them for the acreage, run them 8 months and often get 3-4 per week. Works during the cold months, the bugs eat the bait when it’s warm. Basically I try to kill them in the yard before they get to the house. They scent trail each other so more will move in eventually
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 AM

Took out 14 in 6 days in my yard this spring.Going to have to get at it again.It sure was nice this summer to have songbirds in the yard.They don't just eat nuts,eggs,chicks .Sad but it's TRUE
Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM

I relocated 6 tree rats this summer using a live trap, but there are still more running around the back yard and stealing peanuts from the bird feeder.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:22 PM

1000 fps 177 gr. gets rid off tree rat's once and for all.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Put siding on the shed the shed.

Grizz
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM

Just a leaning pole and a few snares. Nothing to it.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Don't overlook the wisdom of the squirrels. They gathered all the cones and seeds for you so you could plant a forest next spring.

"To start growing pine trees from seed, gather large brown (or slightly green) cones in fall. The cones should be closed; if open, they probably have already released their seeds. Toogood says trees that have a lot of cones are more likely to have viable seeds. Lay the cones in an open box at room temperature. When dry, the cones will open and release their seeds. If they don’t open, place the box in a hot spot (104 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit) until they do. Use tweezers to remove any remaining seeds inside the cones.

To improve odds of germination, stratify the seeds: Mix them with moist peat or sand, place them in a clear plastic bag, and refrigerate them for three to seven weeks. (If the seeds germinate in the refrigerator, sow them immediately.) Sow the seeds in 3-inch pots, and provide bottom heat of about 60 degrees. Seedlings can be transplanted outdoors into larger pots in spring, when they’re about 2 inches tall (six to eight weeks after they germinate). " - excerpt from: https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...d-zm0z13onzsor
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-19-2019, 11:20 PM

^^^^^
the above was said in jest but it could be a good seed source.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM

Live-trap is best; they are reasonably priced at Princess Auto.

Rat traps work as well, but you run the risk of incidental catches.

We did get a trophy mouse in one this year, though.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Get a 4ft high metal plant stand and hang a bird feeder with sunflower seeds on one arm. Seems to work quite well.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM

it was indicated you live in town. I would check the town bylaws regarding the use of various poisons. Just saying you may be opening yourself up to a legal issue. I know this may or may not be a factor for you but where I live it certainly is a bylaw making it illegal to set out any type of poisons for pest control. The only legal method of pest control allowed is live traps.