Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Banned

Again, stay away from the dealerships and chains.
Just had the backs done on my 2007 Trailblazer...$375 with new rotors.
Small independent shop that charges $110/hr labour.
He’s been in business over 50 years (the owner is 83 and still goes into work every day).
As he says, he’s not getting rich but he doesn’t gouge.
They’re still out there.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Noticed a leaky axle seal on the old truck last weekend. Took it to my buddy in Blackfalds last Sunday. He changed the wheel seal and did the brakes on all 4 corners. Including rotors, pads, and new gear oil in the diff. 550.00 and he bought lunch today. Great deal! Now new tires for winter

BW
Old 08-18-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Noticed a leaky axle seal on the old truck last weekend. Took it to my buddy in Blackfalds last Sunday. He changed the wheel seal and did the brakes on all 4 corners. Including rotors, pads, and new gear oil in the diff. 550.00 and he bought lunch today. Great deal! Now new tires for winter

BW
Please give me his number...I thought I was cheap!!! Wow that don't add up musta been lonely. Honestly tho if hes lookin for work I got some projects and I'll even pay for lunch. Pm pikeman06
Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Please give me his number...I thought I was cheap!!! Wow that don't add up musta been lonely. Honestly tho if hes lookin for work I got some projects and I'll even pay for lunch. Pm pikeman06
I don't think he's looking for work. We've been friends for many years and I know he did me a good turn.

BW
Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I priced out my Ram 2500 at the local mechs about three weeks back. They wanted $1200 for front and rears.

Did the rears last week with a buddy. Parts were:

brake pads $109.24
brake rotors $211.49

Need to get around to doing the fronts next. I think the front rotors are abit more IIRC.

All in for parts (all four) will prob be about $700 give or take
just did the front brakes on my 3500 Ram ( 195,000 km on the stock front brakes ) just over $500.00 all in for the parts
for pads/rotors/new slide pins and rubber covers
Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
just did the front brakes on my 3500 Ram ( 195,000 km on the stock front brakes ) just over $500.00 all in for the parts
for pads/rotors/new slide pins and rubber covers
I should of added my truck is a 1999 F250 4x4 it is not the Super Duty version.

BW
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’ve thought about having a mechanic buddy of mine do the brakes and rotors on my plow truck but it’s so easy and I can save the labor why not just do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Trick is to get the old rotors off, I've found. Can't find the video, but it involves using one of the Caliper bolts to put pressure on the rotor, Just pops of.

Grizz
Ended up doing my brakes today before swapping the winter tires on in prep for a 5 day snow storm. Parts all in at Napa we’re a few pennies shy of 260$. Just pads rotors and brake cleaner. Took around 3 hours as 2 of the rotors were well stuck and required some convincing.(wish I had a torch to heat them up and break that rust up...) Glad I did them though as one of the front pads was worn down to the metal. As far as I know this is the 2nd time the brakes have been changed and 1st set of rotors other than factory. Just shy of 205000 miles so no arguments from me. Now it looks like the wife’s Cherokee needs brakes so I’m in the debate of its still on warranty have the shop do it or just do it myself for less than 150$....
Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Curious how often guys are having to do their brakes. Just did the front rotors, pads and rear shoes on my wife's 2007 Honda Fit.First brake job on this vehicle since new at 200,000 km mostly city stop and go.
But it is a manual and we downshift wherever possible.

On the other spectrum I had a new 2001 Chev Malibu for a work vehicle and had to panic stop for some deer on the highway and it was enough to warp the rotors with under 3k on the odometer
I often see late model trucks for sale on Auto Trader that claim the brakes were just done and the vehicle only has about 40,000 km
Yeah depends on the vehicle, quality of parts and type of driving. Give them a visual when you change your tires each season. My last set had 90k on them (tacoma; lots of logging roads and some towing). Forgot when I did them last, checked my log book, said oh poop and pulled them. Still plenty of wear left.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Found this tool to be a real time saver:

Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005GLQCKA/..._JTCRDbP1PYFH2
Old 10-21-2019, 12:27 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/DASBET-Spreade...SJZQYHEFKKCGB9

This works and can be used with ratchet to spread calipers
Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Just bought new rotors and pads for front and rear on my ‘15 F150 from Can Tire. $600 for the OE Plus stuff. I did the fronts myself when putting winters on. Rear drivers side was seized on pretty bad, even with a big hammer. Decided to take it to my local mechanic. Cost me an hours labour for him to swap them out for me but saved me a lot of frustration and cussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Curious how often guys are having to do their brakes. Just did the front rotors, pads and rear shoes on my wife's 2007 Honda Fit.First brake job on this vehicle since new at 200,000 km mostly city stop and go.
But it is a manual and we downshift wherever possible.

On the other spectrum I had a new 2001 Chev Malibu for a work vehicle and had to panic stop for some deer on the highway and it was enough to warp the rotors with under 3k on the odometer
I often see late model trucks for sale on Auto Trader that claim the brakes were just done and the vehicle only has about 40,000 km
Definitely depends on usage. I bought a 2006 Silverado 2500 from the original owner with around 250k on it. He claimed they were the original brakes. Only did highway driving with it. I mean heck here on the Prairies on a secondary highway you can go 100+ km without even touching the brakes.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM

I replace all my pads, rotors and buy them from Auto value here in Calgary...

Set of pads and rotors usually run me around $250-$300 bucks. Could take me about an hour, but with beer breaks and a hockey game...4 hours
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM

Exclamation Brake caliper compression tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Found this tool to be a real time saver:

Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005GLQCKA/..._JTCRDbP1PYFH2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/DASBET-Spreade...SJZQYHEFKKCGB9

This works and can be used with ratchet to spread calipers
^^Those tools are fine for the front calipers, but they do not work on rear calipers that require the piston to be "screwed in" while compressing. The Orion Motor Tech Disc Brake toolkit shown on both of those pages is an example of one that will compress most brake calipers.:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FW3U26G/...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you plan on doing your own brakes, might as well buy one tool that works for most applications

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-23-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
^^Those tools are fine for the front calipers, but they do not work on rear calipers that require the piston to be "screwed in" while compressing. The Orion Motor Tech Disc Brake toolkit shown on both of those pages is an example of one that will compress most brake calipers.:

If you plan on doing your own brakes, might as well buy one tool that works for most applications
This was probably said but I do not want to read every comment. I just have a big C-clamp and use the old pads to compress the piston.

Never failed me yet even on double piston system for the front,

Then I bought a little square thing from Auto value for $12 and it turns rear pistons with a 3/8' ratchet
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Mileage on brakes depends on a lot of things and one off the biggest is how you drive. Last truck had 270,xxx on it with no brake change. Truck before had 350,xxx and no brake change. Both GMC HD.

I went at changing my brake pads yesterday afternoon. I am no mechanic. I hate that work. I only got the one side done in about 3 hours. The calliper bolts are definitely on there tight. I could get one bolt on one side broke and out with straight force. Today it will be heat on it. I think I paid about $115 for the best pads. I always buy the best rotors as well as I feel the cheaper versions are susceptible to being warped over time.

Either way I have seen some of these $1800 quotes for brakes. Absolutely not paying that. With the proper tools there is no way it’s worth that.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
This was probably said but I do not want to read every comment. I just have a big C-clamp and use the old pads to compress the piston.

Never failed me yet even on double piston system for the front,

Then I bought a little square thing from Auto value for $12 and it turns rear pistons with a 3/8' ratchet
FYI,

CT has a tool kit to compress pistons. you pay up front and return in 2 days for a full refund. SInce you paid it up front, you have the choice to keep it as well....
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 AM

Default Rightly Charged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
I just got billed Just over $750 for back brakes on my half ton truck! It needed rotors but thought this was excessive. Shop rate is $150 an hr I was told as well. Sounds crazy. I havn't done brakes for a while in a truck so just wondering
You have been charged right because in Alberta the average cost for a brake caliper replacement is between $724 to $1,400. Labor costs are also high for repairing and replacement job which is estimated between $94 and $120 while parts are priced between $630 and $1322.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post

Agreed. I have aways used a Blue-point compressing tool on my trucks until i encountered the screw-in style on the wife's Mazda. Used a pair of angled snap-ring pliers to turn them in enough to get the caliber back on... bought this kit the next day.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
^^^This
I do them myself as well. A piece of cake to slap on some new rotors and pads.
I’m not about to pay the stealership 3 hours of labour for a job I can do easily in 45 minutes.
True eh....how do they round up the numbers when a guy can run a YouTube video and do it in or under an hour.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2019, 06:21 AM

Have to do the fronts/backs plus all rotors on my 04 f150 XLT. Parts were $425 plus $150 labor for a mechanic friend who does side work. $575 all in. Dealer was looking to be 1100+.

Best bet is trying to find a good side job mechanic who wants to earn some extra cash.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 AM

I did the brakes on my ‘15 F350. I went with the one click brake system. They call it one click as you get everything you need with one click.
Anyway all four corners, slotted directional coated discs, top notch pads good for towing, and everyday traffic. All hardware, $990. I got a bit of a deal. I do all the work myself, 2 hrs, and they work great. No brake fade going through mountains hauling our trailer, and good feedback at the pedal.
Got them from Truck place in Airdrie.
Tullfan
Old 10-31-2019, 08:32 AM

When doing the rear brakes, don't forget to back off the park brake inside the rear rotors before removal.