Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Snows on a Canada setup.

Think I know the answer, down south, thousands of snows and blues, all I have is my Canada setup, worth a shot, or waste of time?
Old 10-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Snows and specs are arctic geese so really don’t mix. Or if there is allot of lessers it’s worth a shot otherwise pass shoot em. Lots of guys with Full snow spreads I’m sure would join in
Old 10-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Snows and specs are arctic geese so really don’t mix. Or if there is allot of lessers it’s worth a shot otherwise pass shoot em. Lots of guys with Full snow spreads I’m sure would join in
Saw some swans in with the Canadas yesterday. Nobody seemed concerned.

Grizz
Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 AM

With that many snows around very unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 AM

If you are in the field the snows want to be in, you may have a lot of fun. If you aren't, you'll get to do some birdwatching. I set up with 33 honker decoys one day, some were floaters, some shells. Birds wanted into that field,was a great shoot. And have also setup in a field they were in the night before with 700+ snow and speck dekes, and watched them all fly by to another field and barely even look at us.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Question

I was out east chasing roosters early last week saw a bunch of Specs, Canada's and snows all together in the same field ...... who knows
Old 10-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Snows you may not kill a pile of but we kill piles of specks out of our Canada spread no problem.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 PM

All waterfowl are gregarious by nature, meaning they enjoy the company of other waterfowl, and not necessarily they’re own species. As mentioned it is more common than not to see a slough full of ducks of all types happily interacting with one another, or a field with every type of goose feeding together. That said, a large spread of any style of decoys tends to pique the curiosity, instinct to eat, and gregarious nature of both ducks and geese but I find light geese are the least likely to react favourably to a decoy spread of dark geese and ducks decoys. Of the white geese, the white snow geese and Ross we get here in Alberta don’t seem to be as picky as the snows and blues of the more eastern part of the Central Flyway. If all other variables line up perfectly you might have a productive shoot; these being the realism of your decoy spread, the invisibility of your hides, correct calling strategy, being in the exact spot where the geese already wanted to go at that specific time of day, and good wind/weather conditions. Lots and lots of these white snows of Alberta have been killed over Canada goose decoys, so your chances are at least good enough to make it worth trying.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Default yes - use your dark spread

I set up last week for darks and ducks - no snow decoys and shot 18 snows as well - take a camo tarp to hide dead birds
Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the answers guys, couldn't get permission, so was for naught
Old 10-23-2019, 07:50 PM

If its a mixed field I have better luck setting up a mostly dark spread with snows mixed in on the upwind side. Snow geese will come into an all dark spread better then darks will usually come into a white spread. Ive killed a lot of snows that come into Canada decoys. Make yourself a couple dozen snow silhouettes or Sillosocks to add in and youll be in the money for getting at least some snows in, especially early morning birds