Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Glad to hear you got out ok. It only takes ablink to change.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-20-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Accidents

No human error here.You were in the wrong place at the wrong time--10 mins later the ice gone.The seat belt most likely saved you from serious injury or death.You walk away thank your lucky stars------
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Glad to see you walked away and yes it does not take much...….just curious were you using your cruise control at the time of the accident?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Glad to see you walked away and yes it does not take much...….just curious were you using your cruise control at the time of the accident?
No I wasn't on cruise, and I was very close to the speed limit.

It was early so Deer were a concern and there were dense fog patches so I wasn't using cruise just in case I had to slow down suddenly.

The one thing that may have contributed was, I was wearing sun glasses because I was driving into the rising sun and with the glasses I could see better.
But they would also have cut any glare that may have been caused by ice thus, very likely making it next to impossible to see any ice.

Even then I may have detected the ice had I been watching for it, but ice was the last thing I expected that morning. After all, it was only a degree or two below freezing and the pavement was partially dry.

It had rained the previous evening but it that was hours before, and the road was close to dry. But that one bridge was not.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 PM

What truck were you driving ?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 PM

Glad you’re ok Keg. The Lord was definitely watching out for you. A reminder for everyone of us how quickly this life can be over and we begin eternity
Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 AM

There’s nothing funny about it, but I had to chuckle to myself all the same - about 40 years ago I had a Ford pickup in that very same fence, in almost the exact same spot, with a roof almost exactly as flat.

Other than the wild ride one midnight about thirty miles up the Chin road, I was happy about it. I hated that truck, and it was the best thing that ever happened to it. I was still young enough then to be convinced that I was bullet proof, and still too dumb to be scared. I know differently now, and that realization kind of sucks. Young, dumb and bullet proof was way more fun.

I’m glad you’ve dodged another bullet; I’m sure we’ve both dodged a few before. Here’s to dodging the next one as well.

P.S. - better pick up a package of Preparation H, you’re going to need it when the insurance company gets done with you.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM

So glad you’re okay, Keg! You’re right, it only takes an instant.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Keg, sorry to hear about your accident. My son who does lot driving for work told me last week he went out of control coming to Red Deer river bridge. He said he was using cruise control in winter. I gave him sh_t as he is 40 years old. I would sure miss you my trapping Mentor if you had not been wearing your seat belt and had your angle riding with you.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsid1 View Post
What truck were you driving ?
It WAS a 2007 Nissan Titan.

Funny thing about that, when I was looking for a truck in 2007 I looked at a Titan and didn't like it, so I bought a Toyota Tundra.
I hit a Deer with that truck and the only viable replacemnt available was this Titan. So even though I wasn't impressed with them I bought it.

It turned out to be the best truck I've ever owned. I got good fuel milage for a full sized 4x4 and never gave me any trouble. I did the brakes a couple of years ago and the tie rod ends but other then that it cost nothing other then fuel, oil and tires.

It had about 250,000 on it and no signs of age yet. Well it did need a muffler, but ran perfect and didn't burn a drop of oil and no rust yet.

I had figured on driving it till I had to give up driving due to my age. I hoped that would be ten or more years down the road and I fully expected this truck to last well past that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Glad you’re ok Keg. The Lord was definitely watching out for you. A reminder for everyone of us how quickly this life can be over and we begin eternity

He sure was. There is no other explanation for why I walked away with so little injury.

George Bernard Shaw