Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 PM

Default Selling shoulder mounta

So the wife and I are looking at buying a house and the owner doesn’t want to take the mounts so he is including them in the sale. We don’t really want them but figure we would take them and sell them off as the number of richy riches around here is insane and they all want some type of “western” theme for their second third or fourth home.... the mounts are all in good shape and I’m just trying to get a ball park figure if they are worth say 200$ each or more less. Prices on eBay are all over the place and I do get they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay but I would just want to be asking a fair market value. all are shoulder mounts except for The black bear rug. The mounts include an antelope white tail bison moose elk and wilder beast...(not really a Montana animal there...) I think there is a pheasant as well which I kinda like and may keep for my office if we end up getting the place. Thanks for the help as I’ve never been a mount guy so no clue on their value. None of the critters are trophies but good mid range size wise.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Any idea how old the mounts are? 5 years ago when I got my last deer shoulder mount done I paid $500. Now I think the price has jumped to about $750 from
the same taxidermist. Personally I would never buy any mount that I never shot myself. Only way I would hang another mount in my house would be if I inherited one from say my dad or someone like that. But like u said some people may be willing to buy for decoration.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 AM

No clue on the age. House was built in 2007 and this guy has been slowly buying them since then for decorations. I agree I wouldn’t buy someone else’s mount but there’s a lot of people who will.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 AM
Banned

don't you need sell wildlife permits first from fish and feathers? and don't said permits take a like a year or two to get?
Old 08-05-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
don't you need sell wildlife permits first from fish and feathers? and don't said permits take a like a year or two to get?
Have a peek at his location
Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM

The current owner of the mounts would have to sign a waiver donating you the mounts or he is doing something illegal. He can't make the mounts part of the house sale without a waiver. Then if you want to sell them you will need to register each one with F&W and then wait 3 years to sell them.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Have a peek at his location
ha...good catch, he's should check a local forum for this question then, much like our gun laws....things like this are very 'canadian' also haha
Old 08-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The current owner of the mounts would have to sign a waiver donating you the mounts or he is doing something illegal. He can't make the mounts part of the house sale without a waiver. Then if you want to sell them you will need to register each one with F&W and then wait 3 years to sell them.
ya, that's what i thought, muchos gracias
Old 08-05-2020, 10:57 AM

I'd suggest you tell him you don't want them and are not willing to pay for them - if he leaves them, tell him you will donate them and leave it up to him.

After that you can donate it to a hunting club, a hunter education training place or whatever you have down there locally.

Like most people, I have zero interest in someone else's mounts.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

check out a local watering hole...always see a few mounts etc in rustic places enjoying a pint.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...