Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 01:28 PM

I worked at the Abbotsford store from set-up until 2018 and in the beginning it was a good job. Then management changes, the present Gen. Mgr. came over from Dollarama, and the Bass Pro take over made the job a nightmare. All of the good employee deals are gone thanks to Bass Pro and the wages and scheduling suck. I would rather sell oranges at a stoplight than work there. Also, so sorry guys, but most Cabelas customers are *****holes that need a slap in the head.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Banned

bwahaha, loved that post! thank you
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 PM

I worked at WSS a few evenings per week as well as a few hrs on the odd Saturday. It was fun to spend time around like-minded people, and the discounts/getting your hands on stock as soon as it arrived was a great perk.

It was sometimes difficult to get motivated to go there, as I wasn't overly desperate for the few hundred bucks a month I was making. If you're a retiree, I think it's a great idea. If you're working a decent paying full-time job, it might not be worth the hassle.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Banned

Yes, I did a short stint behind the gun counter at the southside store back around 2011 and I was not impressed. Maybe it was the management, but I would have thought that the sales staff would be there to assist the customer instead of "sell sell sell".. I had an older gent ask me for a 22 cal rifle. He then told me that he intended to use it for coyote control on his farm. I suggested something more powerful like a .223 and explained why. this probably took 15 to 20 minutes but I did sell him a savage rifle in .223. After he left the store, the gun counter manager called me aside and proceeded to climb on me for spending too much time with the customer. I attempted to explain to this idiot that customer service has more to do with a happy customer than the bottom line. Another incident got me to thinking that there are better places to be that selling guns for minimum wage. A customer wanted information on the choke tubes that came with his remington shotgun. He asked another member of the staff who told him that he didn't have time to explain to him what the names that remington gave each tube represented eg "open field=3/4 choke" etc and refused to help the customer. The exchange quickly degenerated to a yelling match where I quickly called the supervisor over to sort out the mess. I found the phone number for the remington company in Canada and called them for the explanation that this customer asked for.. The other counter staff was fired for his display of stupidity.. Now I tend to stay away from box stores and if I need to make a purchase it's either done online or at P and D enterprises.

Last edited by trooper; 08-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:44 PM

After listening to some of the interactions at the gun counter over the years between staff and customers at places like WSS, Bass Pro and Cabelas. You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with that.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM

I worked there part time for 18 months. Discounts are ok, but only on the clothes (some of it). Rest is just a joke, except for the manufacturer discount. Sale prices are usually better than any employee discount anyway. Because Cabela's stores are so overpriced, even with the discount I would need to pay more than without it somewhere else. I left the place with no beef, but my advice is simple. Don't. That place sucks.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Banned

I just went into the Cabelas North store in Edmonton to pick up some CCI 450 magnum small rifle primers that I purchased online. I approached the customer service and asked for my order. The staff member asked me for a PAL. I told her my PAL wasn't required when buying ammo components. When she began to argue with me, I told her to get her manager to sort this out. The manager came over and to her credit, she delivered the package to me with no issue. I then asked her to "educate" her staff member to which she complied. The problem is either poor training or a staff member just having a bad day. Either way, it puts box stores like this company in a bad light.