Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 11:49 AM

Default anyone ever work at Cabela's

just wondering if any kind souls from our board have worked at bass pro or Cabela's.....?

liked it, loved it, didn't care for it..?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:50 AM

I kinda want to just for perks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 PM

I think the only perks would be you be working every weekend while everyone else is out fishing and hunting

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 PM

45% off all Cabelas gear is decent.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:16 PM

I don't have any first hand knowledge but I know a few people who have worked there. They all hated it after a few months. Take the job, buy the items you want then leave seems to be the best option

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-31-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I don't have any first hand knowledge but I know a few people who have worked there. They all hated it after a few months. Take the job, buy the items you want then leave seems to be the best option
Sums her up
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM

From the few times I've been there it looks like no one works at Cabelas

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-31-2020, 12:52 PM

Not exactly the best place to work just for perks haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-31-2020, 01:22 PM

The employee relations must be better at the Saskatoon Cabela's. A number of retired members of our club worked there part time, from its opening until some health issues forced their retirement.
Most of them admitted that they spent much of what they earned.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I think the only perks would be you be working every weekend while everyone else is out fishing and hunting

Id rather fish during the week, when those weekend warriors are back at work. Likely be more restful then listening to quads tear the place up!

BW
Old 07-31-2020, 03:04 PM

That is true I never go too many places on the weekends in Alberta hunting or fishing

Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Default I did

I was part of the Crew that opened the Calgary location. It was great at first. The management team was amazing. The discounts in store werent anything to write home about but the different companies that had product in store often had discounts that were worth it. I dont know if that has changed.

The original management team is gone and since the merger with Bass Pro the people I still knew there didnt like the change. Wages are pretty standard for box chain retail (low) the hours and shifts arent great lots of evenings and weekends.

The fun thing about working there was everyone had a passion for the outdoors. Good people overall. There are much worse places to work.

I would suggest working at a place that pays a higher wage and use the extra money to purchase what you want in the outdoors. Wait for sales and you will often pay less than the staff discount.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:56 PM

I worked at Bass Pro from 2009-2012. Low wages as expected in retail. Lots of good things, chat about guns and hunting all day, good discount on store branded stuff, but not great on other things. At that time you could get some good deals with some of the company reps, like below dealer cost on Browning and Winchester guns, but managment was putting a stop to that for some reason when I was leaving.

I met some lifelong friends there. Some of the employees really knew their stuff, some didn't have a clue.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:21 PM

If working there was so great, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:02 PM

If this is a retirement gig, and you happen to like the outdoors (which I think is obvious), and you have a background in sales (which you do), I think that it would be a pretty natural fit. No night shift or being on the road, and you'll get to meet all sorts of folks, both good and bad. If it isn't a good fit, oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I had a co-worker that retired about 10 or 12 years ago that wasn't ready to just sit around, he took a job at WSS when they were still in business and really enjoyed it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:

....and fishing and hunting during the week when no one else is out there....:-)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I would prefer to have days off during the week for hunting and fishing rather than be out there with the weekend warriors.

edit: Lol saw Bigwoodsmans post after I posted.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 AM

Worked there for a few years running the fly shop. Was a decent place to work although I moved on for a variety of reasons. Big store and on your feet a bit too much. Did enjoy my time there mostly I was able to talk the things I love the most.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-01-2020, 08:39 AM

My sister and her boyfriend worked at the South Edmonton location for a couple years, until getting laid off due to covid. They said it was great, until the Bass Pro merger. Then everything went to crap. Management sucked, hours were cut etc. The employee discounts were apparently only really good on Cabela's branded clothing. 5 -10% on anything else.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:33 AM

I’d rather shave my nuts with a cheese grater than work in retail.....
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Come on now, it could be entertaining.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Come on now, it could be entertaining.
Afraid I don’t have the patience, disposition or a craving for torture.... lol
Old 08-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It really depend on the type of retail I think. The best job I've ever had was in my late teens/early 20's when I worked at an independent fishing and hunting store in BC. I ended up managing the fishing section. Getting paid to talk fishing and hunting all day long, while getting to handle all the cool new gear was awesome. Lots of perks too once the product reps got to know you. I got to try out protoype products, was given free lines and lures and would get dealer discounts. The shop I worked for gave employees 30% off everything except guns, which we paid cost + $25 for. Some smaller items usually under $50, we'd get for free now and then if the boss was in a particularly good mood.

I wouldn't want to work for a big box retailer as the management and clientele aren't the same as you get as a small independent with 50+ years in the community. If you find a good small shop to work for, it can be great though.

I'd still be in that industry but $10 per hour (I guess it'd be $15 per hour now with min wage increases) doesn't really fund the lifestyle I want.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
It really depend on the type of retail I think. The best job I've ever had was in my late teens/early 20's when I worked at an independent fishing and hunting store in BC. I ended up managing the fishing section. Getting paid to talk fishing and hunting all day long, while getting to handle all the cool new gear was awesome. Lots of perks too once the product reps got to know you. I got to try out protoype products, was given free lines and lures and would get dealer discounts. The shop I worked for gave employees 30% off everything except guns, which we paid cost + $25 for. Some smaller items usually under $50, we'd get for free now and then if the boss was in a particularly good mood.

I wouldn't want to work for a big box retailer as the management and clientele aren't the same as you get as a small independent with 50+ years in the community. If you find a good small shop to work for, it can be great though.

I'd still be in that industry but $10 per hour (I guess it'd be $15 per hour now with min wage increases) doesn't really fund the lifestyle I want.
I hear you. I’m more of a gun and hunting kind of guy. But I can’t spend 5 min listening to the brain dead drivel at gun counters nowadays and I definitely wouldn’t want to work a gun counter knowing im a contributing factor to letting those types loose in our beautiful forests. Hard no....
Old 08-01-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I hear you. I’m more of a gun and hunting kind of guy. But I can’t spend 5 min listening to the brain dead drivel at gun counters nowadays and I definitely wouldn’t want to work a gun counter knowing im a contributing factor to letting those types loose in our beautiful forests. Hard no....
Yeah I'd be fired for recommending they take up a suitable for them hobby, like glamping, bedazzling or E sports in future.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:48 PM

Default Choices

Not having worked much in many years I am looking forward to the challenge of retail at Cabela's. Only one way to find out how much you are going to like some thing, will keep you all posted.......FS
Old 08-02-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Not having worked much in many years I am looking forward to the challenge of retail at Cabela's. Only one way to find out how much you are going to like some thing, will keep you all posted.......FS
Which location?

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-02-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

That is a very good point, if you work at a smaller , more specialized store that carries more high end product, you will be dealing with more people that actually have a clue about the product, which will make your job much less frustrating.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Good luck to you! Keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Thats what my friends have said as well. Its great for the first few months, then the power dynamic really hurts moral.