Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Just an observation. Go people watch and see how many are doing it wrong.

Masks are a great idea if used properly. So many people think they are invincible with them on. They don't practice proper hand hygiene. I really don't feel safer because you wear a mask and want to come right beside me.

I get how it transmits in the eyes and nose as well. That's what makes the ones who freak out the most with the cheap masks that do nothing the worst.
I agree with you 100%. I would bet less than 50% of the population are wearing them correctly let alone putting them on and off without further contamination. Its funny you mention hygiene, if you can smell the other person then the mask you are wearing is not effective.
Another thing I find funny is those people who are wearing masks with the PM2.5 filters. If you cut one open the carbon layer is so thin you can see right through it and the holes are bigger than the ones in the outer fabric, yet these are the people that I have noticed social distancing the least.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-06-2020, 08:06 AM

Not Edmonton, but similar rules are in place. Went to Calgary yesterday, stopped at Popeyes in Airdrie for lunch. Sign on the door, you must wear a mask, put ours on, like good boys and girls and enter. What the Heck, we're the only ones in there with masks. Waitress does up our order, wearing a mask, with with her nose exposed, she apparently has a "breathing problem ". Carry on to Calgary, make the obligatory stop at a thrift store, looking for books to read, sanitizing station at the door, some woman poking at the dispenser bottle on a stand, Sorry lady, you have to push the tiny pedal on the floor, like the sign says. lots of people wandering around, some masked, some with nose exposed and a couple with mask hanging around their chin. Didn't mention it, because that, no doubt would have been a racial issue. Point of this little diatribe being, it's unenforceable.

Grizz
Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I'm starting to see quite a lot of face shields in use.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Banned

Where do you see faceshields being common? I've seen 3 people with them since beginning of pandemic, in general public anyway.

As a retail operator, masks are a nightmare, everyone is touching them and then they are touching everything else. From my observation of common folk, maybe 1 in a 100 is doing it correct, rest is laughable at best, including myself.

Forgot to mention, handshakes are coming back into fashion since masking began.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 AM

I'm disappointed in the lack of Plague Dr's and Tusken Raiders.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sorry Chuck, but you have failed to come up with any reasonable argument against using PPE other than your misguided and inaccurate views based strictly on a political agenda. Show some real credible data and then maybe....
Old 08-06-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Where do you see faceshields being common? I've seen 3 people with them since beginning of pandemic, in general public anyway.

As a retail operator, masks are a nightmare, everyone is touching them and then they are touching everything else. From my observation of common folk, maybe 1 in a 100 is doing it correct, rest is laughable at best, including myself.

Forgot to mention, handshakes are coming back into fashion since masking began.
I just saw three people working at Canadian tire wearing face shields.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry Chuck, but you have failed to come up with any reasonable argument against using PPE other than your misguided and inaccurate views based strictly on a political agenda. Show some real credible data and then maybe....
A political agenda?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
A political agenda you say?
It must be as it has zero medical backing.........
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post

Last week I went to the lab to get blood taken. Every phlebotomist was wearing a face shield and a mask. So was I. If professionals wear masks and shields, that's what I want to emulate if I have to be closer than 2 m to anybody.

I note that some in this thread are calling for goggles. I think that's because "goggles" sounds weirder than "face shields" and goggles are more onerous to wear. The posters are either making fun of eye protection or trying to slant people away from it. As far as I can tell, the medical opinion is that infection via eyes is much less likely than other routes, eyeglasses provide some protection, but shields or goggles are the best.

The authorities have suggested masks and face shields. In some places masks are mandatory. More is not being done because of the outcry in places like this forum where people are refusing to do the simplest things, like keep 2 m distance from others and wear masks. Dealing with the pandemic has become political as well as medical, unfortunately.

Just because some people wear masks improperly is not a reason to give up on masks. Most of those people leave the parking lot without stopping at the "Stop" sign and without using their turn signals. They don't know how to change lanes. Some will be fooling with their phones while driving off. No one is suggesting we should stop using cars and trucks because so many people are careless.

The authorities need to pass bylaws or regulations requiring the wearing of masks indoors in public places. These rules should be enforced, just like parking tickets. Stores that don't enforce the rules should be ticketed along with their patrons. Once everyone is wearing masks, if the experts are correct the Covid-19 infection rate will go down. If they are wrong, we will have proven it to them and the commentators on this forum who don't believe the experts will be proven correct.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
It must be as it has zero medical backing.........
Well no. That’s not the case.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You want a reasonable argument?
Have a quick read with some common sense goggles on. If you don't get it after that....don't know what to say

Covid 19 stats in alberta

Population: 4.3 million
Deaths: 196

97% of deaths had underlying health condition

Chances of dying from the vid in Alberta: 0.000045

Chances of dying if you have no underlying health condition:0.00000144
(6 so far)

Average age of death: 84 years old
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Well no. That’s not the case.
Sorry again Chuck but yes it does. None of your "arguments" against PPE are credible and from a medical stand point are laughable. When and if you, or your family, end up in ER with covid, make sure to let those looking after you know what they are doing wrong and feel free to assist them with an impromptu information session to help get them up to your standards on infection control.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry again Chuck but yes it does. None of your "arguments" against PPE are credible and from a medical stand point are laughable. When and if you, or your family, end up in ER with covid, make sure to let those looking after you know what they are doing wrong and feel free to assist them with an impromptu information session to help get them up to your standards on infection control.
What's the chances of Chuck ending up in ICU? What's the chances of Chuck not pulling thru if that were to happen. As far as I know Chuck is quite healthy and I'm guessing middle age
Remember, Chuck lives in Alberta so use those stats
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
My wife is a nurse.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post

I note that some in this thread are calling for goggles. I think that's because "goggles" sounds weirder than "face shields" and goggles are more onerous to wear. The posters are either making fun of eye protection or trying to slant people away from it. As far as I can tell, the medical opinion is that infection via eyes is much less likely than other routes, eyeglasses provide some protection, but shields or goggles are the best.

Goggles will be more effective than a shield.
If you're masking up to enter an H2S laden environment, would you prefer a mask that is sealed or open to atmosphere?

If you're gonna do it, do it right
Old 08-06-2020, 09:18 AM
AO Sponsor

I am truly curious here and not just being facetious when I pose this question...

Has anybody in these multiple pages of jibber jabber changed their original viewpoints regarding masks based on any of the information and opposing arguments made? Seriously...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My wife is a nurse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
What's the chances of Chuck ending up in ICU? What's the chances of Chuck not pulling thru if that were to happen. As far as I know Chuck is quite healthy and I'm guessing middle age
Remember, Chuck lives in Alberta so use those stats
Remember that we are dealing with a small sample size when quoting Alberta statistics. Didn't Kant say that our ethical decisions should be made as if they would apply universally?

I have a friend who is a nurse and another who is a health care executive. I also read about the research being done. Agreed that there are differences of opinion among experts about some of these issues. Almost all of the above suggest wearing masks.

Why not take the most prudent route if it is cheap and easy? By that I mean remain 2 m away from people and wear a mask indoors in public places.

What if Chuck is one of those people who suffers chronic impairment from Covid-19? Some studies show this to be a high proportion of patients who have been discharged.

You guys are lucky you didn't live in a time when immunizations were required to leave or enter Canada, children were routinely immunized and you had to get tested for STDs before you could get married.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Goggles will be more effective than a shield.
If you're masking up to enter an H2S laden environment, would you prefer a mask that is sealed or open to atmosphere?

If you're gonna do it, do it right
If it's good enough for the phlebotomists . . .
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am truly curious here and not just being facetious when I pose this question...

Has anybody in these multiple pages of jibber jabber changed their original viewpoints regarding masks based on any of the information and opposing arguments made? Seriously...
Well, I don't think that the strenuous exchange of opinions, leavened with at least a few facts, constitutes jibber jabber .

I have refined some of my opinions and extended my knowledge as a result of postings and my online research regarding the issues raised.

Unfortunately, my opinions about humanity have slipped a few notches towards pessimism and original sin. But you are correct that I still think we should all wear masks indoors in public places.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
My wife is a nurse.
Nursing is a respected profession, and I appreciate the services they provide. However, I'm not getting my expert advice from a nurse.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:34 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Well, I don't think that the strenuous exchange of opinions, leavened with at least a few facts, constitutes jibber jabber .
By jibber jabber I mean the exact same thing being said exactly the same way over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...............................
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-06-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
By jibber jabber I mean the exact same thing being said exactly the same way over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...............................
You got me with your definition.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Heck no. Trump said masks are optional, so why change an opinion? He's a stable genius and recently completed an online dementia test. C'mon, Bob.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Did you think that was even remotely possible ? It is a two sided world and no one is crossing over.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM

This whole covid thing really makes me appreciate not living in Edmonton or Calgary. When it started, there wasn't the mad panic in my city to buy out all of the groceries like people in the large cities were describing. People weren't fighting over items on store shelves. At the peak, perhaps 30% of people were wearing masks, but that has dropped to around 10% now, and I have not seen any arguments or confrontations over the use of masks.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This whole covid thing really makes me appreciate not living in Edmonton or Calgary. When it started, there wasn't the mad panic in my city to buy out all of the groceries like people in the large cities were describing. People weren't fighting over items on store shelves. At the peak, perhaps 30% of people were wearing masks, but that has dropped to around 10% now, and I have not seen any arguments or confrontations over the use of masks.
Pretty calm around here too. We were invaded by some from Edmonton in the great hoarder trend though

I lived in Edmonton or Calgary I probably would have snapped on someone
Old 08-06-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Nursing is a respected profession, and I appreciate the services they provide. However, I'm not getting my expert advice from a nurse.
You are misrepresenting the context

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:

About the same chances of me (strong conservative) changing the mind of a left of centre liberal.
Gotta fight the good fight tho
Old 08-06-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Very good point. These threads are likely useless.
I certainly haven't changed my view because of internet discussions.

There are people who are still on Rev. 1, where this is worse than the Spanish flu and everyone is going to die.

I've tried to keep in line with the current status, where this virus is is only marginally worse than the common flu and very few people are going to die, statistically.