Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 10:23 PM

Default Foxes harassing my chickens.

Been an issue for the last 5 yrs but finally found a den of 6 pups and a vixen in the subdivision. So now I think I’m in for it. Regulary woken up through out the summer nights with foxes doin laps around my coop tryin to get in. Any suggestions? I’m a hardcore hunter but realize the fact that it’s a mom just tryin to care for her babies so I’m lookin for deterrents vrs other methods. Any help would be great and yes I have a big live trap that they steer away from.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:14 PM

Default my thought

get rid of the chickens ?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 AM

If you have power close by a small electric fence might make them want to go elsewhere for a meal.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Electric fence, make it hard for them to attempt to get a meal and they will move onto another area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-24-2022, 08:26 AM

It costs time and money to be soft hearted. Electrify a chicken wire perimeter fence away from the chickens so the fox doing laps doesn't stress your chickens and they quit laying eggs. You can also setup a feeding station well away from your chickens. If you supply food for the fox it has no reason to bother your chickens.

Long and short however, a fox throwing litters is just going to make your problems a lot worse over time.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It costs time and money to be soft hearted. Electrify a chicken wire perimeter fence away from the chickens so the fox doing laps doesn't stress your chickens and they quit laying eggs. You can also setup a feeding station well away from your chickens. If you supply food for the fox it has no reason to bother your chickens.

Long and short however, a fox throwing litters is just going to make your problems a lot worse over time.
If the habitat is there - there will always be foxes. Killing one just buys you time until the next one moves in.
IMO - fencing is the key
Old 05-24-2022, 09:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Just man up and remove your problem, protect your food supply, and give your domestic animals the proper care they require.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:11 AM

If you want to take a light-handed approach, try some Critter Rid'r, apply around your coop periodically.

I use it to keep pests out of my yard, works reasonably well in my situation.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:32 PM

Remove the problem fox and her babies and backfill the den. if you setup a feeding station u might aswell put a leash on her like a family pet. A fox den has a distinctive smell and will only make it a home for generations and generations of predators unless dealt with in a humane manner to protect your food source.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 PM

I have a trip line i can lend you i you want, if trips a 209 primer goes boom, it might scare her out of your yard
Old 05-24-2022, 08:14 PM

What do you think she is going to teach her “babies”

The lady I buy eggs from has employed all manner of nonlethal deterrents…the fox always figured them out. Eventually the 22 came out and the problem went away until the next one. But it’s better to only have a few dead chickens now and then instead of all of them getting wiped out.

It’s just part of raising livestock. They are prey, so you will always have to deal with predators.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

Just had to kill one that took out 5 chickens in one evening. Foxes will kill for fun as well.

There's really only 2 options here. Kill the foxes, or lose the chickens.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM
AO Sponsor

I like foxes and think they are pretty cool animals, but they eat my pets or livestock they ded...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-25-2022, 08:21 PM

I have tried this for cats.Buy some rat traps ,set them up around the coop.Cover with a little loose soil, you can add some liquid bait if you wish.Wont kill them but they wont like getting their nose pinched or a foot caught .
Old 05-25-2022, 09:56 PM

Had a dog growing up on the farm that instinctively went after the fenced chickens. Kept crawling under the chain link fence. We ran an electric fence just outside the chain link at low level. Problem solved, but it would sit 2 feet back and stare at them all day long.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:27 AM

If you have foxes harassing your chickens, there are a few things you can do to deter them. One is to put up poultry netting around your chicken coop and run. This will keep the foxes from being able to get to your chickens. Another option is to put up electric netting. This will give the foxes a mild shock if they try to go through it, and will deter them from getting to your chickens. You can also try putting deer or bear urine around the perimeter of your property. This will make the foxes think that there are predators in the area and will keep them away from your chickens.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:36 AM

A few motion activated lights would help too. They won’t like being lit up. Hopefully you have neighbours that are cool because I see some .22 action in your future.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:51 AM

Going to have your hands full when the pups get older . time to kill or get rid of your chickens
Old 06-17-2022, 10:56 AM

What is wrong with really big aggressive guard dog that likes to run fox and coyotes? He will earn his keep and you can sleep through the night.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:31 AM

Shoot em all
Old 06-17-2022, 03:37 PM

D E D spells ded.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-17-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I like foxes and think they are pretty cool animals, but they eat my pets or livestock they ded...
Agreed! Cool critters but not close to people because it’s a matter of time before they get in trouble.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:29 AM

Ill still lend you my trip line if needed