Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I like it....small place to store items...and yup if they want it they will make enough noise to alert you....not all guns need to be stored in there...

I kinda like the idea of a false room...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
You can put all the pins and rods and gizmos you want on the front door, but when the side walls are made of 16 ga. steel....
Very true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Nevertheless, when he came back from Mexico, the thieves got in by removing the drywall/studs from one of the sides of the vault, jack hammering the concrete and sawing the hardened rebar and steel bar and got all his stuff ............didn't touch the door at all, so, if they have time, the tools, and the patience, they will get into just about anything.
Yikes. There goes my plan B.....
Old 01-26-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There is a home in St.Albert one of our contractors/clients was working on that poured a concrete elevator shaft, and put in a true vault door, etc... a true secure room.

Nevertheless, when he came back from Mexico, the thieves got in by removing the drywall/studs from one of the sides of the vault, jack hammering the concrete and sawing the hardened rebar and steel bar and got all his stuff ............didn't touch the door at all, so, if they have time, the tools, and the patience, they will get into just about anything.
Yeah, that is a possibility. But if I was a betting man, I'd put money on A:Just about everyone knowing about this vault, B:No security system, and C:Inside knowledge of how long he/they were going to be gone.

And there was no house sitter, or someone doing regular checks either, I'd guess. If you are going to spend big cash on something like that, there are a few things to do to make it all work.

Probably the same incident I heard about a few years back.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
And going through the side or back wall of one of those so called "gunsafes" would be no more difficult than going through the sidewall of the seacan. You can put all the pins and rods and gizmos you want on the front door, but when the side walls are made of 16 ga. steel....
I don't know how tough it would be getting into a real gun safe, but it's quite a bit heavier than 16 gauge. A real safe is a step up from a Stack On locking cabinet. And I believe that there is layers, and aggregate lining in the big ones also. Or some of the more serious ones.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
What about welding a “net” of rebar on the inside, but offset it a bit from the sea can wall, and then have some 1/4 plywood on the inside , and then pump the cavity full of concrete. Will the concrete corrode the sea can wall?
The can is pretty cheap. Much cheaper than a gun safe. With all the extra engineering I think I should be $5000 all in. Then I can also lock up generators, power saws and some tools.
My logic says the scumbag will kick down every locked door in the house till he finds the guns. If he gets to my “safe room” he will use the same technique to open that than he would use on the sea can. I have unused space in the garage. Might as well use it.
But I appreciate the ideas and feedback. Keep it coming

Edit: I guess I could build a room out of those styrofoam blocks too.
I like this one. People may notice or know you have a sea can in the garage but the reinforcing could be done on the sly. 3" or 4" of concrete with bar in it may not be invincible, yet it would most likely deter the first attempt at breaking in. You only need it to last long enough for someone to respond to the b&e.