Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2001, 08:01 PM
rumor or t

Default rumor or truth??

I heard the other week from a friend who said that he heard about a month or so ago that the government was going to refund us all the money we spent on getting our posession/purchase licenses.

Any truth to this? Personally I can't recall the feds ever giving anything back.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:13 AM
captain2kca

I heard that too...It was announced over a local radio station. Guess the gov figgers if they make it free, everyone will jump on the chance to register their firearms....yup...I am right on that myself.....yup...
Old 12-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Don Meredith

The only refund is for the one-time registration fee ($18.00) if you've already paid it. The feds are waiving the gun registration fee, but only for a short time during a specified period based on the region in which you live. The period is already over for licence holders in the Maritimes, is about to expire for those in Ontario and is about to begin in Quebec. They haven't published a schedule for the rest of Canada as of yet, although they say they will in early 2002.

Each firearms licence holder will receive a package in the mail when their region is activated. Go the the Canadian Firearms Centre website for more details.

Don
Old 12-01-2001, 12:35 PM
What a dea

Default What a deal!

I hope none of you are going to run down and register your guns so you can save $18 freekin' dollars. Their Gun Registration plan SUCKS and they can't make it smell any better by making it free. And they can't make it smell much worse by charging any more.

The more people that register before the deadline the less uncomfortable they will feel. Don't register and make them squirm. Then on the last possible day, if you must, swamp them with applications and start phoning and asking when they will get your registration prossessed.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:57 PM
rumor or t

Default rumor or truth

Can someone tell me how a flint lock is not considered a firearm? Is it because they are not capable of rapid fire? If you own a flint lock you don't have to register it but anything else that shoots a projectile has to be registered.
I gotta tell ya, responsible firearms ownership starts at home. No amount of registration will stop "violence".

We all heard about the daylight shooting in Thorsby, AB.
Why don't the police just go to the great data bank and find out who owns a shotgun and a .22 ? The crime would be solved right?
If your from Toronto this would be the belief. In the rest of the universe we know better.
How many of us own a Cooey .22 that has no serial #?
I have three. How does anyone tell the difference btwn on and the other?
Old 08-20-2002, 02:00 PM
gun regist

Default gun registration

I recently heard that this bill hasn't been ratified in the house of commons yet and therefore isn't officially a law yet, and if it doesn't pass it may never be. can anyone verify?
Old 08-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Don Meredith

Default Re: gun registration

Sparky,

If what you mean by "bill" is the recent Firearms Act, then yes, it has been passed and its regulations approved. Go to the Firearms Centre legal texts page for more information.

Don