Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Default 8x or 10x Binocs

Whats all the bowhunters using for binoculars?

I was set on 10x but then have been checking out 8x in higher end optics and they sure do open up alot of veiwing area.

Most of my hunting is treestand but do some stalking as well.
I got it narrowed down to the zeiss conquest line but cant decide 8x or 10x.

any opinions?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM

Default 10x

I used 8x for years and 3 years ago got a pair of 10x. I wish I would have gotten the 10x 25 years ago. Any high end bino will be stellar at either 8 or 10x.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 AM

I use a 10x and have had success with it...like the post above form wctbowtech any high end bino will give you what you want in an 8 or 10x.
Good luck!
Shane
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Default 8x or 10x Binocs

I don't think I could replace my 8 x 32 Leica Ultravids with better glass. I was a 10 X 40 (Leupold gold ring) user up to then. I can spot more animals, even at relatively far distances with the 8X, and I think it's due to good light gathering qualities, edge to edge clarity and colour contrast. Quality optics are the key to happiness regardless of X power choice.

The 8's are more compact, but not too small, they still offer enough resistance in weight to easily hold steady. In fact, when I'm holding my bow, I can 1 hand them for a quick look at an animal at close quarters without shaking excessively. By far, most guys I know carry 10X but I wouldn't say no to an eight in any binocular without giving them a try first.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Whats all the bowhunters using for binoculars?

I was set on 10x but then have been checking out 8x in higher end optics and they sure do open up alot of veiwing area.

Most of my hunting is treestand but do some stalking as well.
I got it narrowed down to the zeiss conquest line but cant decide 8x or 10x.

any opinions?
Treestand and some stalking eh.............How far can you see from your treestand? I'd be lucky to see 50 yards from any stand I'm in. Same as stalking in bush...............cutlines and clearcuts and clearings and prairie sure you can see forever......but your use is for more close in work and 8X would work fine. 10X are HEAVY and if I'm not in a tree I might be in the mountains putting on miles.....don't want any excess weight.......10X is not enough for mountains anyway.......that's where the spotting scope comes in. Thats how I view it
Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the opinions. Kinda how i was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Treestand and some stalking eh.............How far can you see from your treestand? I'd be lucky to see 50 yards from any stand I'm in. Same as stalking in bush...............cutlines and clearcuts and clearings and prairie sure you can see forever......but your use is for more close in work and 8X would work fine. 10X are HEAVY and if I'm not in a tree I might be in the mountains putting on miles.....don't want any excess weight.......10X is not enough for mountains anyway.......that's where the spotting scope comes in. Thats how I view it
true, ehntr but when the leaves drop, I can see a 500 yards. My biggest concern is having 10x and not being able to lock on the deer quickly as i found that trouble with a rifle scope in dense areas.
oh well, i think ill start off with the 10x, good thing about optics is they are always in demand.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 AM

I own a pair of B&L 8x. They are fine for scouting. I don't even bring them bow hunting .. I just use my range finder to view things. Then again, I'm not trophy hunting.