Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Default How to Pick a New Bow?

I have about a 15 year old Lynx compound bow made by Martin. The bow weights a tonne compared to today's standards and has little spring left. The deer last year could literally turn in a circle before the arrow hit it at 50 yards. Luckily it still landed true.

How do you guys go about picking a new bow/setup?

I don't need anything too fancy as this old Lynx has treated me well with about a deer or two a year.

Would you feel comfortable buying used?

Lastly, has the compound bow technology changed much in the last couple years and if so what?

I want to get a new bow this summer, but figure I had better learn what is out there to begin with.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 PM

Depends on your price range. I would try a bunch of different bows out. Then pick the one that feels right and is within your budget. There are so many options. I took my bow in a couple weeks ago to get re-served and ended up coming out with a new APA viper. Smoothest bow I've ever drawn. The kicker is it was over 1100$ set up.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

First thing you need to do.......is go to the BOWTECH section.

But seriously, go try a couple out and see which one you like. Your an experienced archer by the sounds of it,so it should be pretty simple for ya. I love my bowtech but I hear the others are good tooMaybe ross or APA, would be my next choice.

Have fun shopping
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Yeah Go to a shop try a couple of bows and see what one feels the best for you. It wouldn't hurt going in to the bowtech selection like knownonscents said. Maybe try the Bowtech nitrous?

Good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Hoochie Papa

I used to own that exact model of bow. Dual speed cams, loud, heavy and slow. Not to mention a tough pull to get the cams to roll over.

The technology today is so far past that bow, any one you pick off the shelf is going to feel like a Cadillac. Don't get rushed on the first one. Some are still better than others,but the differences can be very subtle nowadays. Bowtech gets my vote because of performance, warranty, and service. They carry a wide range for every budget, but maintain the quality in each setup.

Every shop should let you shoot a variety of bows before you buy. That is how you pick the one you like.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks a lot for your comments.

That is exactly what I was thinking too. Any bow I try out will feel amazing compared to my beast now. What is it you guys are feeling for when you try out a bow?

What are some of the main differences between a lower priced bow and upper priced ones?

Someone here at home staring with a 'w' and ending in 'ife' tries to keep my hunting budget in check. What brands/models would you suggest are a good bow for there price range? Some of you have mentioned BowTech.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Every brand has their base models and their cadillacs

Howdy,

Every make of bow weather it is a hoyt, bowtech, martin, or PSE etc etc will have a base model bow for around 200 bucks all they way up to the cadillac for 1800 bucks.

There are some decent packages out there, but usually the bow ends up being the best part of the package.

I suggest you set your price range first. Let's say 500 bucks for the bow and 300 bucks for accessories (Sight, release, arrows, stabilizer etc etc). Then go into any of the archery stores in alberta that have a range for shooting and tell them what you budget is. Ask to shoot all the bows in the store that will fit that budget and will fit you (draw length, and preferred poundage).

Then it's a matter of picking the one that fits the best and feels the best. Some bows draw like a dream and let off nicely, but they really jump when they shoot. Other bows draw like a bag of crap, but shoot like a dream. Most bows do a good job for the draw and the release. You just have to shoot a bunch to find one that feels right.

Joe Bob, can tell you that BowTech is the best or Hoyt is the best or man those new PSE bows are the fastest things on the planet. None of this matters, it is just Joe's personal opinions.

Try a bunch out for yourself and form your own opinions. The staff at the shops will be able to answer the techy questions about differences in cams, cables etc etc, but I can't stress enough the importance of trying a bunch of bows you will be surprised how different they all feel.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM

I agree, set a budget and go try a bunch of bows in that price range. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 AM

tried a lot of different bows and PSE Bow Madness XS was the bow for me smooth, quiet, and NO hand shock. For the price there is not a nicer bow!!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallery View Post
tried a lot of different bows and PSE Bow Madness XS was the bow for me smooth, quiet, and NO hand shock. For the price there is not a nicer bow!!
I LOVE those bows. They are one of the best bows for the dollar out right now. Go for it. The XS is the only one I was interested in. I like short bows.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm hoping to start giving them a try here in the next couple weeks. I'll have to give that PSE Bow Madness XS a try as I am looking for a good quality, good price bow.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM

You might want to inquire further into the apa's as well. Not sure where abouts your from, but your title section sais sk. Apa's are designed, and built in biggar, and they make a beutifull bow, I'm on my second viper, love shooting it, infact got my first ever robin hood last week with it at 30yds.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
You might want to inquire further into the apa's as well. Not sure where abouts your from, but your title section sais sk. Apa's are designed, and built in biggar, and they make a beutifull bow, I'm on my second viper, love shooting it, infact got my first ever robin hood last week with it at 30yds.
Cuz,
I'm only about 100km from Biggar. I just looked on their website and the reviews look pretty good. They don't advertise price, so what kind of range are you looking at for one of their models?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 PM

trail cam,

most of the apa s are in the higher end for pricing . You are looking at over $ 800 buck s for most of their models. Definatley look in to them ,they are some of the smoothest bows on the market . I have 3 of them and wouldn t shoot anything else.. Good luck and have fun shoppin.

mamba
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Well guys thanks for you help,

I went ahead a bought a PSE Stinger today. Nothing fancy, but I figure it is a nice step up from my Lynx Martin. I tried a whole bunch of bows over a couple day period. There were a lot that shot better and felt better, but my pocket book was a little low for the time being. I liked the Bow Madness XS, Diamond Marquis, and the Darton AS500 quite a bit. Seems like the Stinger will do the job just fine for now.

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailCam View Post
Thanks a lot for your comments.

That is exactly what I was thinking too. Any bow I try out will feel amazing compared to my beast now. What is it you guys are feeling for when you try out a bow?

What are some of the main differences between a lower priced bow and upper priced ones?

Someone here at home staring with a 'w' and ending in 'ife' tries to keep my hunting budget in check. What brands/models would you suggest are a good bow for there price range? Some of you have mentioned BowTech.

Thanks
weight speed noise.you can get a used bow tec or mathews really cheep if you look around.