Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Default chronic wasting diseasse

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/04/14...kly+Newsletter

good information on the disease in the States
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Dissimilar health advisories than we have been given in AB.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Prions cant be killed by heat. Very good articles on CWD and other deer diseases in this months Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine
Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Cwd

Much of the information given in this article is contrary to that given by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the Health Departments of many states who have been dealing with CWD for many years.

I suspect the fact he is in the business of selling deer attractants, etc. is affecting his answers and opinions.

Bottom Line - All Health Departments that I am aware of warn against consuming the meat of infected animals and it is an accepted fact that regardless of how well you cook the meat the CWD prions will be unaffected.

At a recent information session on CWD I believe the temperature of 900C was provided as the only way the CWD prions could be destroyed.

Phil
Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Much of the information given in this article is contrary to that given by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the Health Departments of many states who have been dealing with CWD for many years.

I suspect the fact he is in the business of selling deer attractants, etc. is affecting his answers and opinions.

Bottom Line - All Health Departments that I am aware of warn against consuming the meat of infected animals and it is an accepted fact that regardless of how well you cook the meat the CWD prions will be unaffected.

At a recent information session on CWD I believe the temperature of 900C was provided as the only way the CWD prions could be destroyed.

Phil
thank you for that I would not consume any meat that had either chronic wasting or mad cow. I wonder what happened back 30 years ago we never had to worry about this.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Default Cwd

For recent very detailed info on CWD google:

The Challenge of Chronic Wasting Disease: Insidious and DIre
Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 AM

Default Mad Cow Disease

In a study at Yale University when people diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease were examined after death it was found that 13 per cent of the Alzheimers patients had Mad Cow Disease (CJD).
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM

We need a very drastic cull of deer population in eastern Alberta to slow spread of CWD westward. GOA were doing good job couple years ago until bleeding hearts decided it was to cruel. Every year it migrates one WMU westward, now near Ft Sask. and Camrose.
Alberta Agriculture knows how to deal with major anthrax or other disease spread, kill the entire herd.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
We need a very drastic cull of deer population in eastern Alberta to slow spread of CWD westward. GOA were doing good job couple years ago until bleeding hearts decided it was to cruel. Every year it migrates one WMU westward, now near Ft Sask. and Camrose.
Alberta Agriculture knows how to deal with major anthrax or other disease spread, kill the entire herd.
According to the Alberta Government Chronic Wasting Disease was discovered in Whitetailed Deer and Elk on game farms north of Edmonton in 2002.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
According to the Alberta Government Chronic Wasting Disease was discovered in Whitetailed Deer and Elk on game farms north of Edmonton in 2002.
First found in Saskatchewan game farms in captivity...and then found in mule deer in the wild there.

LC