Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2024, 04:53 AM

Default Hunting in WMU 228 in 2024

Who all hunts in 228?

There will be some minor changes in a couple of sections, that won't effect most of you guys and gals.

There is some land west of Demay Lake that will NOT be OPEN for hunting anymore. Just look for the new No Hunting signs.
A group of us have received written permission from the landowner to hunt on his land.... and he has not given any others permission.
We are very experienced hunters, and the owner will press charges if you guys are on his land. We have been told if they do say they have permission that they are lying and politely send them on their way.
Last season he was disgusted by the number of hunters on his 8 quarter sections again without being allowed there. Dozens he said, Deer just getting slaughtered.
One hunter shot and gutted a deer only 200 yards from his sister's home. That is dangerous guys and totally disrespectful. We as a group are better than that.
Each area that our group will be hunting will be clearly marked NO HUNTING AND NO TRESPASSING. I will be personally posting a few hundred signs, We just want a nice peaceful and safe hunt.
Please, follow the signs. when people go on somebody else's land, without asking it, ruins it for all of us hunters,

This was not meant to offend anybody, as 99% of you are awesome and respectful people. I am sorry for having to post this on here.

Feedback and comments are welcome
Old 01-23-2024, 06:33 AM

Thats to bad. But it only takes a few bad apples and its over. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me in 348.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:02 AM

I am familiar with the zone and area as I grew up in Camrose. Sorry to hear that the landowner is having trouble with trespassers and good on you for helping out.

Also happy for you that you and your group have secured access and ongoing permission to the property

This is an issue that permeates in all zones in which private land is present. Understandably, landowners and hunters are fed up with it.

I don’t think it’s likely that posting on AOF about this specific parcel of land will prevent trespassing on it, but I guess it’s worth the try…
Old 01-23-2024, 09:36 AM

Everyone I know who hunts private land seems to have issues with trespassers. Seems more and more landowners are saying no do to either idiots or trespassers

Sadly posting no trespassing signs or not allowing hunting isn’t going to fix it. What needs to start happening is landowners have to report these people and consequences needed to be harsher. Most are just kicked off the property and told they can’t hunt there not a real deterrent for a guy willing to trespass. They will just keep doing it

As for the post starting this thread announcing that you have exclusive permission and signs will be posted congrats but I am pretty sure those who trespass don’t care. There is a ton of land that would fit into this category across Alberta. I have a number of buddies hunting places with exclusive permission on posted land and they are kicking off trespassers every year

I will stick to do most of my hunting on public land it’s way less hassle once you learn how to hide from the slobs
Old 01-23-2024, 09:45 AM

I live in 228, and trespassing is a huge issue, but signs won't make much of a difference.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:11 AM

I haven't hunted private land in 25 years. I'll be out in the big bush crown land as long as the Lord is willing.

Congrats on your 'Exclusive Rights' to hunt...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-23-2024, 10:19 AM

Kindda weird post.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klomas98 View Post
Who all hunts in 228?

There will be some minor changes in a couple of sections, that won't effect most of you guys and gals.

There is some land west of Demay Lake that will NOT be OPEN for hunting anymore. Just look for the new No Hunting signs.
A group of us have received written permission from the landowner to hunt on his land.... and he has not given any others permission.
We are very experienced hunters, and the owner will press charges if you guys are on his land. We have been told if they do say they have permission that they are lying and politely send them on their way.
Last season he was disgusted by the number of hunters on his 8 quarter sections again without being allowed there. Dozens he said, Deer just getting slaughtered.
One hunter shot and gutted a deer only 200 yards from his sister's home. That is dangerous guys and totally disrespectful. We as a group are better than that.
Each area that our group will be hunting will be clearly marked NO HUNTING AND NO TRESPASSING. I will be personally posting a few hundred signs, We just want a nice peaceful and safe hunt.
Please, follow the signs. when people go on somebody else's land, without asking it, ruins it for all of us hunters,

This was not meant to offend anybody, as 99% of you are awesome and respectful people. I am sorry for having to post this on here.

You do realize land posted "No Hunting" by law means NOBODY, not even the landowner is legally allowed to hunt it!
You better just stick to "No Trespassing Without Written Permission" and add "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" then hope for the best because trespassers trespass, plain and simple, signs or no signs...
Old 01-23-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
You do realize land posted "No Hunting" by law means NOBODY, not even the landowner is legally allowed to hunt it!
You better just stick to "No Trespassing Without Written Permission" and add "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" then hope for the best because trespassers trespass, plain and simple, signs or no signs...
False that doesn’t apply in Alberta call F&W if you doubt me

There is a province or provinces that this is true and likely where this originated. I know for a fact it doesn’t apply in both Alberta and B.C.. I have done my due diligence on this in the past do to a $50 bet
Old 01-23-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
HaHa, who told you that?
I suppose if he hangs a No Trespassing sign then his family can't come home either.
The land owner has to press charges so he would have to report his self.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Not true in Alberta or Saskatchewan.We had a guy threaten to call F&W , and report us for hunting on land posted no hunting, and for using an atv before noon. The landowner told him to go ahead, F&W knows where he lives.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-23-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:14 PM

Always thought, that land posted 'No Hunting" etc then no one is allowed to legally hunt on that land.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Who all hunts in 228?

Are you an outfitter?
Old 01-23-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Are you an outfitter?
That would be my guess.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Who all hunts in 228?
There is some land west of Demay Lake that will NOT be OPEN for hunting anymore.
Where is Demay Lake? I live in 228 as well and have never heard of it...
Old 01-23-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Where is Demay Lake? I live in 228 as well and have never heard of it...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...82jz?entry=ttu
Old 01-23-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That would be my guess.
Likely not lol
Old 01-23-2024, 02:06 PM

I’m so disappointed. I really like hunting that land. Never ever thought about asking permission there cause my cousins friend said he asked every year and never had a problem. Fields. Were pretty smooth also, could fly across them in a pick up. Oh well, I’m sure we will find some place else to hunt.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Always thought, that land posted 'No Hunting" etc then no one is allowed to legally hunt on that land.
The landowner, or anyone with permission can hunt regardless of the wording on the sign.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:37 AM

Not sure your post will have the intended result you want. For example, there's GPS coordinates to the lake, you've narrowed down which sections of land are over run with deer. All anyone needs to do is stop in and ask for permission now.

If what you say is true that the 8 sections of land owned by one guy won't let new hunters on, I'd move on to the nieghboring properties if there is that many deer around.

You've made it as easy as ever for a new hunter to get out and find a new spot.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Not sure your post will have the intended result you want. For example, there's GPS coordinates to the lake, you've narrowed down which sections of land are over run with deer. All anyone needs to do is stop in and ask for permission now.

If what you say is true that the 8 sections of land owned by one guy won't let new hunters on, I'd move on to the nieghboring properties if there is that many deer around.

You've made it as easy as ever for a new hunter to get out and find a new spot.
The reality is, if you find a good hunting location, it's best to not draw attention to it.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The reality is, if you find a good hunting location, it's best to not draw attention to it.
My family and I hunt that zone a lot. Very rarely hunted that small area but ill make a point to knock on doors and say hello now.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
My family and I hunt that zone a lot. Very rarely hunted that small area but ill make a point to knock on doors and say hello now.
Lol. Maybe that was the point. Like I said, a pretty weird post.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Who all hunts in 228?

I will be personally posting a few hundred signs

I am sorry for having to post this on here.

Cool story

Congratulations

I'm sure we're all super jealous that we won't get to hunt 2 sections of "exclusive" land that has a hundred signs on it

No you didn't have to post this here

Maybe stick to asking for people's fishing spots

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Are you an outfitter?
I don't know about outfitter, but a group of guys that has paid for access is probably a better bet.

As the saying goes " money talks, bullsh$t walks"
Old 02-07-2024, 06:59 AM

Love how everyone instantly starts throwing out accusations of illegally paying for access or must be an outfitter

Reality there is a ton of hunters who are granted exclusive access do to simply developing a relationship with a landowner. There is also a ton of landowners who are sick of idiots and became more restrictive about access or don’t give access anymore. I also know landowners who just don’t want a free for all on their land

More likely the OP just thinks he is getting the word out in hopes of deterring people from trespassing but reality is slob idiots who intentionally trespass are not going to give a crap about signs or that someone has exclusive access. There is also a low % chance that he is even going to reach those with a past of trespassing on this property by posting it on AO

But let the conspiracy’s fly so I think he is blackmailing the landowner with photos of him cheating on his wife because really there is no other way to get exclusive permission to hunt from a landowner

Just like a bunch of old farts spreading negative gossip with no facts over coffee at A&W
Old 02-07-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Love how everyone instantly starts throwing out accusations of illegally paying for access or must be an outfitter

Reality there is a ton of hunters who are granted exclusive access do to simply developing a relationship with a landowner. There is also a ton of landowners who are sick of idiots and became more restrictive about access or don’t give access anymore. I also know landowners who just don’t want a free for all on their land

More likely the OP just thinks he is getting the word out in hopes of deterring people from trespassing but reality is slob idiots who intentionally trespass are not going to give a crap about signs or that someone has exclusive access. There is also a low % chance that he is even going to reach those with a past of trespassing on this property by posting it on AO

But let the conspiracy’s fly so I think he is blackmailing the landowner with photos of him cheating on his wife because really there is no other way to get exclusive permission to hunt from a landowner

Just like a bunch of old farts spreading negative gossip with no facts over coffee at A&W
Yup this ^^^^^ correctamundo we have exclusive access to a number of properties for the exact reason you stated, landowners are tired of slobs tearing around on their land and leaving behind a mess, we all know how a couple of irresponsible entitled hunters can leave a bad taste in a landowners mouth.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup this ^^^^^ correctamundo we have exclusive access to a number of properties for the exact reason you stated, landowners are tired of slobs tearing around on their land and leaving behind a mess, we all know how a couple of irresponsible entitled hunters can leave a bad taste in a landowners mouth.
I have had landowners offer exclusive access, without being asked. One person wanted some deer removed, because they were eating his shrubs, but he wanted someone he trusted hunting his home quarter. Another landowner, and AO member, offered us access, because he was sick and tired of dealing with a couple of disrespectful outfitters.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Are you an outfitter?
Exactly what I thought , just matter of securing the area for the clients , I do not hunt private lands at all but this is a weird post
Old 02-07-2024, 08:42 AM

My buddy owns a lot of land out that way also but on the other side of 834 . He told me any farmer out there he knows well ,and can get me on any land .Just might take him up on that invite now