Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 03:12 AM

Default Anybody excited for Spring Bears??

Extra barrel gathering and bacon grease collection going for 6mos now. All the wonderful items that have expired will soon make their way to the stands. Only running two baits this year and have my 12 yr old daughter up first with a xbow. Or her .243 whatever she likes better. I am so excited words cannot describe my passion for bear baiting and bear hunting in general.

Anybody gonna getting baits rolling again? Getting back into it? Lets discuss bear stuff please. Also post a pic of your target or up&comers.

Baiting and trail cams, campfires, whiskey, lil fishin and some wood cuttin. Good food and some good company. Stress free time in stand reading a book. How exciting is that?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2024, 08:26 PM

Maybe a bit excited.
We stopped spring baiting 3 years ago now.
Brought in almost as many grizz as black bears.

I still get a tag on the off chance of seeing one tho, both fall and spring while doing tasks on our property that boarders crown.

TBark
Old 02-17-2024, 10:53 PM

Default Yup.

I am definitely looking forward two reducing their numbers by 2 where I hunt moose. See lots of bears there but no calf moose with the cows.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:26 AM

I am planning to go bear hunting for the first time this spring - I am excited to try something new. I do not have time as any sort of luxury so not baiting. Been doing some looking around on AO for tips on spot and stalk bear hunting.

I promote environmental conservation.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:44 AM

I have never been out for them but I think that is something I want to do this spring. Some of the hunting grounds I frequent do have a fair number of black bears. The only thing that is always in the back of my mind is trichinosis. Do any of you have tips for preparation of the meat and cleaning the bear to stay safe while doing it?

OP sorry if this is a derail but I know you said lets talk bear stuff.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:52 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=19254582

This search is Bear, as the key word, posted by me, Dean2. I have done a lot of posts over the years on bear hunting and meat handling of bear. Once you have read through these posts, if you still have questions, post them on this thread and I will try to answer them.

My easy version for spot and stalk.

If you are out spot and stalk hunting and there is not much green around, the Bears will be out but sticking close to their den sites. Find running water, river valleys, Beaver Dams etc. Bears need enough green plant material to get rid of the plug and water with sun is the first place green shows up. Move VERY slowly into the wind, bears are really hard to sneak up on in the bush.

You won't see bears out feeding on pipelines and oil roads until there is new green plants for them to eat. You need to go in looking for them, which is great fun but a lot more challenging way to hunt them. Best of luck, it is a great time to be out in the bush.

If the lines and lease roads are green, then cruising till you spot one then stalking it is far more effective than walking. If you are cruising you want to be off of main roads in areas with relatively little traffic if possible.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-18-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=19254582

This search is Bear, as the key word, posted by me, Dean2. I have done a lot of posts over the years on bear hunting and meat handling of bear. Once you have read through these posts, if you still have questions, post them on this thread and I will try to answer them.

My easy version for spot and stalk.

If you are out spot and stalk hunting and there is not much green around, the Bears will be out but sticking close to their den sites. Find running water, river valleys, Beaver Dams etc. Bears need enough green plant material to get rid of the plug and water with sun is the first place green shows up. Move VERY slowly into the wind, bears are really hard to sneak up on in the bush.

You won't see bears out feeding on pipelines and oil roads until there is new green plants for them to eat. You need to go in looking for them, which is great fun but a lot more challenging way to hunt them. Best of luck, it is a great time to be out in the bush.

If the lines and lease roads are green, then cruising till you spot one then stalking it is far more effective than walking. If you are cruising you want to be off of main roads in areas with relatively little traffic if possible.
Hey Dean, I tried the link but it just goes to a notification page on my Tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2024, 09:29 AM

Honestly? nope not in the slightest and I looking forward to it!
Old 02-18-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Hey Dean, I tried the link but it just goes to a notification page on my Tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Use the advanced search, put bear in the keyword and Dean2 in the posted by, and hunting as the forum, it should bring up the results for you.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Use the advanced search, put bear in the keyword and Dean2 in the posted by, and hunting as the forum, it should bring up the results for you.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Dean. I’ll sit down with a coffee and take a read through the threads. Appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Maybe a bit excited.
We stopped spring baiting 3 years ago now.
Brought in almost as many grizz as black bears.

I still get a tag on the off chance of seeing one tho, both fall and spring while doing tasks on our property that boarders crown.

TBark
Oh Man, u always had some great bears too. Dang grizz. I had em twice in 17 years of baiting.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:58 PM

Yes and no....

Spring bear is one of my favorite things to do, but I can't help but get discouraged by the impending "atv ban" for the spring I keep hearing about.

Nothing like putting in all the effort to set up a nice bait site in April just to have another ATV ban from May 1st- June 15th.

I wouldn't be so ****ed about it, but bear guides were allowed to use ATV's last spring when the local hunter wasn't.

Nothing like watching a guide hunt pretty close to the bait you set up a month before him because he can use a atv but you can't.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:17 AM

I’ve harvested bears in the past but this year will be the first year I will be taking one with the Bow!
Old 02-19-2024, 05:55 AM

My first spring bear hunt was in 1978, there was no baiting allowed so it was all spot and stock so you pretty much had to wait until the cut lines and clear cuts greened up then put on the miles and the hours behind the glasses.
A couple springs we hunted the Athabasca river in a small 12' aluminum boat and a 9.9 kicker, down stream from near Blue Ridge and pull out at Athabasca was a nice 4 - 5 day trip, lots of lazy floating or just idling the kicker, good times for sure. I have not actually gone out for a number of years now, was planning it last spring in Northern Sask with a buddy of mine that lives up there but things fell off the tracks.
Bear 1978.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:29 AM

Very excited. I came up empty handed the last 2 seasons spot and stalk hunting but I've learned a lot. And I can't wait to put what I've learned into practice and hopefully have a successful harvest.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2024, 11:54 AM

Meh, after many years of running baits I dont know if im going to this spring. Same as TBark (if i remember correctly from what ive read we both own land in the same neck of the woods, which is where ive been baiting the last few years, and Grizz are a real problem), and dont have the time to re-fire up the old baits. Probably get out for a spot and stalk a time or 2 but thats about it.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:45 PM

Bear meat has been my main source of protein for me and my dog for the last 10 years or so. Not many undulate's here. This season I'm more concerned than excited, last spring my daily usual of 10-15 bears a day went down to 2-3. Grizzly numbers are climbing fast and I suspect they will continue to decimate the black bear population.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:50 PM

Very excited for spring bear this year. I’m excited to be taking some friends and my grandpa this year. Hopefully can get one of my friends his first animal with his bow as well. Running 2 baits again this year and have already started to save bait.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Very excited for spring bear this year. I’m excited to be taking some friends and my grandpa this year. Hopefully can get one of my friends his first animal with his bow as well. Running 2 baits again this year and have already started to save bait.

Now were talkin. Cannot have too much bait. Post pics with their firsts man. Awesome.!!.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:11 PM

I have 1 bait left out of 3 from last spring fires in Athabasca. Going to fire it up and see what turns up. Had a real nice bear 🐻 hitting it in daylight but fire ban made getting to it impossible. Setting one up on my private quarter have to thin them out. Way to many bears on that side of the river. My youngest son might take one with his .243 100 gr partition.
See if he can sit long enough and keep from talking the bears to death
Old 02-22-2024, 09:27 AM

This thread makes me miss living up north. I ran baits up my lac la biche. Lots of bears and good times.

I made one of my biggest hunting mistakes up there though. I didn't pay enough attention to the regulations. One zone closed on the end of May and the other on June 15. Started getting loys of daylight pictures of a gorgeous big old brown boar on June 1st and like an idiot I thought the zone was closed. Nope, I found out later that I still had 2 weeks to hunt.

Live and learn

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2024, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Extra barrel gathering and bacon grease collection going for 6mos now. All the wonderful items that have expired will soon make their way to the stands. Only running two baits this year and have my 12 yr old daughter up first with a xbow. Or her .243 whatever she likes better. I am so excited words cannot describe my passion for bear baiting and bear hunting in general.

Anybody gonna getting baits rolling again? Getting back into it? Lets discuss bear stuff please. Also post a pic of your target or up&comers.

Baiting and trail cams, campfires, whiskey, lil fishin and some wood cuttin. Good food and some good company. Stress free time in stand reading a book. How exciting is that?????

As always a wonderful feelings it is.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:23 PM

No spring bear for me but 320 acres of oats might just make up for it in the fall.....lol
Old 02-28-2024, 01:31 PM

Shot my last bear in 2012 but continued hunting bears for awhile. I finally pulled the pin due to work and a growing family. Now with a 12 year old fresh out of hunter safety, with an interest in hunting I think its time to get back into it. Always enjoyed the way it gets you out of the house in those early days of spring avoiding the not so fun yard work. I'm not sure who's more exited me or the boy but it may end up being one of my most memorable hunts to date. Let the gathering begin!
Old 04-17-2024, 12:50 PM

1 sit in. Nocturnal. 0/1

I get back to work and he shows up in daylight w half hour to go.

Little girl is really excited about this bear. Crossbow it is she says.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:02 PM

Great to see. Good luck to her!
Old 04-17-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahfaye View Post
Bear meat has been my main source of protein for me and my dog for the last 10 years or so. Not many undulate's here. This season I'm more concerned than excited, last spring my daily usual of 10-15 bears a day went down to 2-3. Grizzly numbers are climbing fast and I suspect they will continue to decimate the black bear population.
That can't be can it? The govt tells us that griz are few and far between, endangered even. They wouldn't lie to us would they?
Old 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM

Default Anybody excited for Spring Bears??

Can’t wait to film the youngest Reddeerhunter shooting her first bear!! Excited for Spring 2024, closed the chapter on Sonic my spring bear from 2021 with the rug coming home this month

Last edited by Byron; 04-17-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:51 PM

I have my hands full and not really feeling it but did see my first little bear of the year a few days ago well scouting for deer. Who knows maybe I will pick up a tag and drag a rifle when I go out just in case I get the itch

This little one would be a hard pass but he stuck around all dopey like for a pic

Old 04-17-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have my hands full and not really feeling it but did see my first little bear of the year a few days ago well scouting for deer. Who knows maybe I will pick up a tag and drag a rifle when I go out just in case I get the itch

This little one would be a hard pass but he stuck around all dopey like for a pic.
I don't know, gun in hand and tag in pocket might be too much excitment to contain...let er bark!
Maybe not on that little one though lol.