Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 09:05 AM

Default Backpacking sleeping pad

I have been using a NeoAir XLite the last ten years. This past season it was feeling pretty uncomfortable. At 11 oz the weight is great. What pad is everyone using?
Old 02-06-2024, 09:42 AM

You might want to post in general or some type of camping forum rather than a hunting forum.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You might want to post in general or some type of camping forum rather than a hunting forum.

I want to know what my fellow backpack hunters are using.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:08 AM

This probably doesn’t help, but I have been using my Thermarest Prolite Plus for about 20 years, maybe more, for all outdoor activities.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:21 AM

https://www.thermarest.com/ca/sleepi...m-nxt-max.html

That's the one I use. Best R value and pretty thick. Reasonably comfortable for the weight.
Could run a yoga matt of some sort on top of yours if not soft enough. Yoga matt won't weigh much
Old 02-06-2024, 01:30 PM

I use a xped 5.5r amazing, bought my wife the new xped r7 it is even better.
Been using mine for a number of years, don't think I could ever use anything else now. Expensive but comfortable and warm.
Tried a number of others but they either didn't last or were not comfortable.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:08 PM

Xtherm for me. Warm, comfortable, and light. I’d go with a 25” pad minimum for width as well for that extra comfort. My pads are 20” but I’ll be doing 25” as I replace.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:30 PM

It is bad enough when someone within 100 yards is sleeping on one of those crinkly pads. Can't imagine actually trying to sleep on one. Haven't had any complaints with my ProRest yet.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:16 PM

I’ve had the xped synmat 9 for as long as I can remember. I’ve used it for hunting, camping and the last ten years or so at work in these crappy camp beds. I sleep on mine about 180 nights a year and always have a restful sleep on it.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:19 PM

Been using a thermarest prolite.
Planning on upgrading to a thermarest xlite nxt this year just for weight and packed size
Old 02-06-2024, 04:54 PM

I use a Nemo 3D Regular. I got the wider size and have had no issues with it. Inflates with a supplied pump sack. Got one of their pillows too which beats the heck out of a stuff sack filled with a fleece jacket. Weighs about a pound and half and packs into a small surprisingly small stuff sack.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:58 PM

It's probably not the ideal backpack hunting pad, I use it on the back of the ADV bike, but I bought one of the Big Agnes Boundary Deluxe pads in the 30" wide and long version. WOW. Where has this thing been all my life. I sleep on my back, and sometimes side, and this thing is a miracle compared to any other pad I've tried. It's like sleeping at home in my own bed. It ain't cheap, but buy once, cry once. It's made an unreal difference for me.

I bought it here - https://sequoiasupply.ca/pages/outdoor-categories Awesome people to deal with and super knowledgeable about their stuff and anything camping in general.

I also bought the ZenBivy lite bed on sale at Black Friday, and that is definitely backpack hunting compatible. No real world experience yet, but on my basement floor, this thing is awesome. Soooo comfortable. I can hardly wait to get out with it.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:20 PM

I also have an Xped. Light, compact, warm and comfortable. I didn't believe the hype until I tried one.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-07-2024, 03:03 PM

Had a thermarest for years. Just switched to a Nemo. A little lighter and better insulated.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:15 PM

I have the Exped Synmat. Light, relatively compact, and sturdy for the amount of loft and cushioning it gives when sleeping on the rocks.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:23 PM

Thermarest Z lite is my favorite. Not the comfiest, but never fails

Klymit Static V is good.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:35 AM

I have been running a Sea to Summit UltraLight Insulated Mat but really thinking about going with a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Ultralight Foam. On my last Caribou hunt my pad touched the wood stove while our tent was being ripped off from GAIL force winds on the 2nd night of 8 lets just say sleeping on cloths and Spruce Bows SUCK!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:24 AM

I have a nemo tensor that I’ve been using the last couple trips, quite happy with it so far. I’m a bigger guy so the long/wide footprint is nice. Much quieter than the sea to summit that I had previously.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:45 PM

That was what drove my decision too. A sleeping pad is a critical piece of gear. "What happens if this fails?" becomes an important question to ask.

I've been known to double-up the Z Lite with a Klymit or a Neoair, depending on the trip.

But the Z Lite goes everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I have been running a Sea to Summit UltraLight Insulated Mat but really thinking about going with a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Ultralight Foam. On my last Caribou hunt my pad touched the wood stove while our tent was being ripped off from GAIL force winds on the 2nd night of 8 lets just say sleeping on cloths and Spruce Bows SUCK!
Old 02-11-2024, 01:36 PM

xtherm from thermorest is the one i have 4 season pad,
Old 02-14-2024, 06:05 AM

Thermarest NeoAir for after the snow flies. Typically run the Thermarest uberlite. It’s a little noisy and slippery. But you can’t beat the comfort for only 9 ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2024, 06:43 AM

Been rocking a big Agnes for 3 years. Hasn’t let me down, good r value and puncture proof, packs down small and you can get the “wide” version for us men who aren’t skin and bones!