Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default Banned firearms list?

Have those folks in ottawa come up with a banned firearms list yet? will they go after rim fire rifles like the 10/22?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:08 PM

yes
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
yes
Yes to both questions or yes to the first question. Your answer is a bit ambiguous and doesn't tell me a whole lot. Can you be a bit more specific please?
Cheers,
Trooper
Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post

Yes to both questions or yes to the first question.
Your answer is a bit ambiguous and doesn't tell me a whole lot.
Can you be a bit more specific please?
Cheers,
Trooper
I reckon he's of the same opinion... You need to be more clear, as to which list you're referring to...

There's the "original list", with items such as the Uzi - Tech 9 - AK47 & variants - etc.

Or are you inquiring about the "new list", which is currently being amended by the Powers That Be ?

Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 PM

Bill Blair has not released anything yet whatsoever.
He stated to media that he, and his office, would not do so prior to completion of their plan in its' entirety to prevent panic buying.
In other words they don't want to allow you to go buy any of the non-restricted but "to be banned" firearms before they announce all the details.
Presumably this would also mean they would bring this into law via an Order in Council which would effectively eliminate the possibility of this being debated in parliament - thus becoming law incredibly swiftly.....
That is all anyone knows.
The rest is pure speculation at this time.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yes, sorry about that, I should be a bit more specific. I was referring to that "new" list being put out. Will they go after the rim fire semi autos like the Ruger 10/22? These are the only semi autos that my wife and I own and would sure hate like hell to lose them to those goofs in ottawa.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:36 PM

There is no new or old list per se.
The Liberals announced they would be getting tougher on gun control.
Trudeau is known to be aligned in his firearm philosophies with that of his counterpart in New Zealand where they banned pretty much everything including lever actions and semi 22's.
They have openly mentioned the Mini 14 and the AR15 by name. They have stated they will be going after "military style assault weapons" and allowing municipalities to ban handguns. There is no accepted definition for military style assault weapons...
This is virtue signalling with no logic, rhyme or reason to it.
Of course it is entirely possible they will go after rimfires, especially if magazines are available for them of a capacity larger than 5 rounds.
Again, they may not, but who knows what is in store for us.
All I can say is if you haven't already then sign petition E-2341 and write letters to your MP, Bill Blair and Trudeau and let them know what you think !
This isn't going to stop with just one type, class or style of firearm - it is the beginning of something much much larger to be sure.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:53 PM

There is a prohibited firearms list. Just go to Google and search for it.
There is no list of firearms newly proposed to be banned yet, though several have been mentioned.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Have those folks in ottawa come up with a banned firearms list yet? will they go after rim fire rifles like the 10/22?
Nothing public.

The possibility is very good.

EVERY firearm (yes, that includes grandpa's old 1894) will eventually be on "the list". The leftists want you disarmed.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:33 PM

I figure the list will include any black rifle capable of semi-automatic fire. Ignorant politicians figure it's the only way to stop the gangbangers in our biggest cities from killing each other with illegal handguns.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
Bill Blair has not released anything yet whatsoever.

The rest is pure speculation at this time.
This forum is full of pure conjecture and speculation on this topic and many others. I am not saying we should not be concerned, but we should also not become alarmists either. Our voices to our legislators is critical.

If someone can post anything credible, from the government or legislators, of substance, then we can discuss it intelligently.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
There is no new or old list per se.
The Liberals announced they would be getting tougher on gun control.
Trudeau is known to be aligned in his firearm philosophies with that of his counterpart in New Zealand where they banned pretty much everything including lever actions and semi 22's.
They have openly mentioned the Mini 14 and the AR15 by name. They have stated they will be going after "military style assault weapons" and allowing municipalities to ban handguns. There is no accepted definition for military style assault weapons...
This is virtue signalling with no logic, rhyme or reason to it.
Of course it is entirely possible they will go after rimfires, especially if magazines are available for them of a capacity larger than 5 rounds.
Again, they may not, but who knows what is in store for us.
All I can say is if you haven't already then sign petition E-2341 and write letters to your MP, Bill Blair and Trudeau and let them know what you think !
This isn't going to stop with just one type, class or style of firearm - it is the beginning of something much much larger to be sure.
I am from NZ, and had to surrender a couple rifles, (Semi auto centerfire),
But your full of it, and completely incorrect, about both semi .22 and lever actions.
And the NZ rifle buy back/theft, is considered a complete failure, its now receiving the scorn it deserves, from media on both sides, of the political debate, and current lefty government, is unlikely to now survive the next election.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 AM

I canot believe how little discussion on this topic is on this website

If every single member of this site hasnt signed this petition youre all siding with the Liberals on banning firearms and legal property of law abizing citizens of this country.

I don't care if you think it wont do anything. That is the same apathy that helped us in one of many ways to lose this last election.

I dont care if you are a muzzle loader, own one gun, a singleshot 22. We need to all stand together on this one, because as Im sure you hate to hear it it will be your typical "fudds" that will cost us our rights and property.

In one way or another the folks that own restricted firearms by and large are what keep this tradition and sport afloat in this country with range membership requirements and the billions of dollars they funnel into this firearms economy that allow your stores and clubs to operate.

If you dont care because you dont own a gun that is currently on the chopping block you are absolutely to blame and are only opening the door to having your precious over under taken from you too.

I may sound frustrated but I have 10s of thousands invested into this hobby. It is my go to sport its what I work my ass off every day to help pay for and many of my friends and businesses will suffer horrific losses should this come to fruition.

Sign the damn petition. Its 2 minutes and its the right thing to do.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-2341
Old 01-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
But your full of it, and completely incorrect, about both semi .22 and lever actions.
And the NZ rifle buy back/theft, is considered a complete failure, its now receiving the scorn it deserves, from media on both sides, of the political debate, and current lefty government, is unlikely to now survive the next election.

Southerman;
Here is a screenshot of a portion of the official buy-back price list for New Zealand. I hope my computer skills were up for the task.
Am I somehow mistaken or are these in fact semi auto .22's and lever actions? How is what I said in my post "full of it and completely incorrect"? If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it, and graciously so.....
You may know something that I don't but the list clearly shows these types of firearms included within the ban.

image.jpg
Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Southerman;
Here is a screenshot of a portion of the official buy-back price list for New Zealand. I hope my computer skills were up for the task.
Am I somehow mistaken or are these in fact semi auto .22's and lever actions? How is what I said in my post "full of it and completely incorrect"? If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it, and graciously so.....
You may know something that I don't but the list clearly shows these types of firearms included within the ban.

Attachment 160698
Truly alarming if they use the same list as NZ.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Truly alarming if they use the same list as NZ.
Considering that such gov’ts hold each other’s failing policies in high regard, I’d expect ours to try not only emulate NZ’s but to try and go one step further so that they can gloat about being more progressive-er
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM

Keep in mind the NZ list has a disclaimer at the beginning that qualifies any of these firearms as prohibited/banned if they have a magazine either detachable or not ( tubular mag) that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds.
But nonetheless, it still affects lever actions and rimfires.
My Remington 597 with its' 25 round mag would be on the ban list down there from what I can see.....
Older levers with calibers like 38-40 had mag capacity over 10 so they would be gone too.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post

Did you really have to surrender them though?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:

There is no new or old list per se..
Quote:

If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it, and graciously so...
http://www.firearms-safety-course.co...bited-firearms

Well start your apology... Where do get your info, CBC ?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:07 PM

They will not be happy till they have them all...so.... YES
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:57 AM

I expect it will wind up with some of this in it and some NZ and Aussie stuff, when they do it, this is presently in the Senate in the US, I believe. There is a tracking tab on the main page somewhere, I posted this before, in the C71 thread;

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...bill/1296/text
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
http://www.firearms-safety-course.co...bited-firearms

Well start your apology... Where do get your info, CBC ?

Lol, I don't think anyone on here, and certainly not the OP ,was referring to firearms that were restricted/prohibited decades ago.....and is common knowledge.
That is kinda obvious isn't it ?
This conversation was clearly about firearms that Trudeau and Blair are looking to ADD to what will surely be the start of a much wider, growing list since they announced their "get tough on gun crime" strategy.
The OP is concerned about his 10/22 possibly being affected.

So now back on track, go have a look at the NZ list and tell me that some levers and .22's are not included on there !
.....then I'll queue the apology.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 AM

No official list released yet but I'll put this as simply as I can:
Is it a scary looking firearm?
Will any politician crap their panties if they saw one in real life?
Does it offend someone in any way, shape or form?
Is it fun to shoot?
Does it make a bang sound?
Has it ever been featured in movie where someone died?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then yes, the government will try to ban it at some point in time. It may or may not be during this round but it will happen eventually.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol, I don't think anyone on here, and certainly not the OP ,was referring to firearms that were restricted/prohibited decades ago.....and is common knowledge.
That is kinda obvious isn't it ?
This conversation was clearly about firearms that Trudeau and Blair are looking to ADD to what will surely be the start of a much wider, growing list since they announced their "get tough on gun crime" strategy.
The OP is concerned about his 10/22 possibly being affected.

So now back on track, go have a look at the NZ list and tell me that some levers and .22's are not included on there !
.....then I'll queue the apology.
Yes, I'm aware of, and know about old lists, I was referring to any new additions to the current list. As I stated, My wife and I have Ruger 10/22's that was the main portion of my post. Thank you, C2C3PO for setting them straight!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM

We should start placing bets on witch firearms will be on the list...? and what’s the dollar amount that will be paid to “buy them back”...? would it be fair market value? The original purchase price plus inflation? How about collector value...? Or liquidation pricing basically here is $50 bucks now hand over that AR15 that you paid $3500 dollars for or you will be going to jail...? And how about that compliance rate...?

My predictions are: Probably every thing from SKS’s to AR15’s, anything with a pistol grip or flash hider, basically anything that looks too scary for a private citizen to own. I don’t see anyone getting any more than $200 bucks per firearm turned in and just like our previous “ failed” long gun registry a 70% to 90%+ non compliance rate.

Basically all I see is another erroneous waste of public funds and resources just so a political party can make themselves look like they are doing something to really tackle the real issues at hand.

There are so many other issues at hand that the government should be focused on right now but they are doing such a good job on a non issue that it amazes me on what if they were to put all that energy and focus on other things like the economy...
Old 01-25-2020, 10:04 PM

I think the AR15 and Ruger Mini 14 will only be the highlights on this list. Probably wont hurt the shooting community all that much.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I think the AR15 and Ruger Mini 14 will only be the highlights on this list. Probably wont hurt the shooting community all that much.
You're already talking about over 100,000 firearms. If this happens, that's hardly insignificant. And this is only round one. By round 3 or 4 they may be after those scary sniper rifles with 'military style' detachable magazines.

Colin
Old 01-26-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
How about those of us who 90% of the time shoot AR’s? If it hurts some of us it hurts all of us. We need to stand together against further controls regardless off whether you like the firearms being banned or not.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Any time ANYTHING that is LEGALLY owned by a citizen of a country is takin away its a loss of freedom and affects someone. If it hurts just one person and they suffer a financial loss of any amount it goes against the grain of democracy.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 AM

Things like the Thompson submachine gun were banned a lifetime ago and it doesn't affect anyone. If the AR15 is banned there are tons of suitable 223 semi auto replacements on the market. If you look at the 3 gun guys, many of them compete with non AR platform rifles. Many of these are non restricted so you can use them for shooting away from the range as well.