Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Things like the Thompson submachine gun were banned a lifetime ago and it doesn't affect anyone. If the AR15 is banned there are tons of suitable 223 semi auto replacements on the market. If you look at the 3 gun guys, many of them compete with non AR platform rifles. Many of these are non restricted so you can use them for shooting away from the range as well.
I don't think you're getting it.

1 - AR type rifles and the mini 14, along with some other infamous non restricted black rifles.

2 - more non restricted semis and even a few semi auto hunting rifles. Maybe semi auto tactical shotguns.

3 - chassis type bolt action target rifles and the balance of semis.

4 - levers and pumps.

5 - anything left with a detachable magazine.

6, 7, 8...

You get it yet?

Colin
Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
I don't think you're getting it.

1 - AR type rifles and the mini 14, along with some other infamous non restricted black rifles.

2 - more non restricted semis and even a few semi auto hunting rifles. Maybe semi auto tactical shotguns.

3 - chassis type bolt action target rifles and the balance of semis.

4 - levers and pumps.

5 - anything left with a detachable magazine.

6, 7, 8...

You get it yet?

Colin
Where did you get this information from? I have been looking and I cannot find anything supporting this. Do you have a link or something?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 AM
Banned

New Zealand prohibited firearms list:

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...bited-firearms
Old 01-26-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
New Zealand prohibited firearms list:

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...bited-firearms
Have you been able to find anything for Canada? New Zealand tends to closely follow Australia and their tight gun laws. I am confident our will be no where as restricting as the NZ stuff.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Where did you get this information from? I have been looking and I cannot find anything supporting this. Do you have a link or something?
There is no list. There is no official plan. But if you think for a second this government will prohibit ar15s and a few others and say 'good enough. Problem solved', you are sadly mistaken.

There is no statistical data to support any gun ban. This whole thing is based on emotion and pandering to the sheeple.

Statistically, the owners of these firearms are the least likely to commit a crime - any crime. Less likely than the masses that are, through ignorance, afraid of them. Inner city crime is not being wrought by target shooters and hunters with their legally purchased modern sporting rifles. It is being committed by street gangs with illegally obtained pistols typically smuggled in from south of the border. And btw, many - don't know how many - of these new gangbangers have been recently welcomed to Canada by the same government who wants to disarm law abiding citizens.

So if you don't think this is a big deal, think about that old winchester model 70 you've been hunting with and your Daddy hunted with before you, given to him by his Daddy on his 18th birthday. Its not on the list. Not yet. But if they start with Ar15's, how long is it going to be before they come after your sniper rifle?

Colin
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
There is no list. There is no official plan. But if you think for a second this government will prohibit ar15s and a few others and say 'good enough. Problem solved', you are sadly mistaken.

There is no statistical data to support any gun ban. This whole thing is based on emotion and pandering to the sheeple.

Statistically, the owners of these firearms are the least likely to commit a crime - any crime. Less likely than the masses that are, through ignorance, afraid of them. Inner city crime is not being wrought by target shooters and hunters with their legally purchased modern sporting rifles. It is being committed by street gangs with illegally obtained pistols typically smuggled in from south of the border. And btw, many - don't know how many - of these new gangbangers have been recently welcomed to Canada by the same government who wants to disarm law abiding citizens.

So if you don't think this is a big deal, think about that old winchester model 70 you've been hunting with and your Daddy hunted with before you, given to him by his Daddy on his 18th birthday. Its not on the list. Not yet. But if they start with Ar15's, how long is it going to be before they come after your sniper rifle?

Colin
I cant agree more with you about how banning these are not going to solve the problem as criminals will continue to do criminal things. This is very short sighted by our elected officials. I just feel that they will ban the AR15 and Ruger Mini 14 and that will make their voters happy. You need to remember politicians do things to buy votes, not actual changes for the greater good. If they ban these 2 platforms, it will likely be the best bang for the buck for future votes. If they go as deep as you fear, they will alienate a bunch of voters.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I cant agree more with you about how banning these are not going to solve the problem as criminals will continue to do criminal things. This is very short sighted by our elected officials. I just feel that they will ban the AR15 and Ruger Mini 14 and that will make their voters happy. You need to remember politicians do things to buy votes, not actual changes for the greater good. If they ban these 2 platforms, it will likely be the best bang for the buck for future votes. If they go as deep as you fear, they will alienate a bunch of voters.
That might win them votes this go round. But what about next time? And the time after that. And no conservative government is going to lose votes by bringing them back off the prohib list. The gun owners of Canada have over 2 million votes. That's a fair sized special interest group that is being ignored.

Colin
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That might win them votes this go round. But what about next time? And the time after that. And no conservative government is going to lose votes by bringing them back off the prohib list. The gun owners of Canada have over 2 million votes. That's a fair sized special interest group that is being ignored.

Colin
2 million voters is a significant group for sure. You also have to remember that a political platform has many facets and their position on firearms is a small slice of the position pie. If you have a hypothetical provincial party that is promising economic prosperity in Alberta for example but they are anti firearm, many unemployed people would vote for them as a roof over their heads is more important than a 3 gun match. Ya gotta look at the big picture on this one folks.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:51 AM

So where do we draw the line then?
What is an acceptable sacrifice before WE say enough is enough !

If they proceed with banning the AR-15 and all variants ( since there is no conceivable way they would withstand criticism from their gun-control zealots by not extending it to the NR versions of this platform ), they ban the Mini 14, Mini 30, then it also stands to reason they will go after other "miiltary style" assault rifles.

I fully expect them to go after things like the Benelli MR-1, CSA-VZ58, M305, and of course the beloved SKS .
This will not be just one or two firearms but general "classes" of firearms that 1) appear militaristic ( folding/telescopic stocks, pistol grips, flash-hiders), 2) are semi automatic , 3) have detachable magazines regardless of whether they are pinned to 5 or not.

I don't have a crystal ball obviously, but if anyone for a second believes they are just going to go after 1 or two types of firearms and we should all just stand-by like the villagers when they come round looking for a sacrifice and if we don't make eye contact we'll be safe, then before you know it we are all screwed.

In less than a lifetime I have seen society change from when it was commonplace to see a gun-rack in the back window of a pickup truck, or kids walking down the ditch-line with rifles in hand going to shoot gophers to now where people over-react to even symbolisms and vague references of firearms and are calling out the police . There is no middle-ground and zero common sense.

Decades ago not everyone hunted or shot a gun, but they would dare not question your ability to own a firearm ( regardless of it's type) and categorize your intentions based upon it either. Now the Liberal mantra is "No one needs to own one of those guns" and it is spoken without even the slightest of hesitation as if it is a universally accepted fact.
It won't be long before those guns become all guns.
Because don't forget their other favourite saying "The only people who need guns are the police and the military".....
Old 01-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
So where do we draw the line then?
What is an acceptable sacrifice before WE say enough is enough !

If they proceed with banning the AR-15 and all variants ( since there is no conceivable way they would withstand criticism from their gun-control zealots by not extending it to the NR versions of this platform ), they ban the Mini 14, Mini 30, then it also stands to reason they will go after other "miiltary style" assault rifles.

I fully expect them to go after things like the Benelli MR-1, CSA-VZ58, M305, and of course the beloved SKS .
This will not be just one or two firearms but general "classes" of firearms that 1) appear militaristic ( folding/telescopic stocks, pistol grips, flash-hiders), 2) are semi automatic , 3) have detachable magazines regardless of whether they are pinned to 5 or not.

I don't have a crystal ball obviously, but if anyone for a second believes they are just going to go after 1 or two types of firearms and we should all just stand-by like the villagers when they come round looking for a sacrifice and if we don't make eye contact we'll be safe, then before you know it we are all screwed.

In less than a lifetime I have seen society change from when it was commonplace to see a gun-rack in the back window of a pickup truck, or kids walking down the ditch-line with rifles in hand going to shoot gophers to now where people over-react to even symbolisms and vague references of firearms and are calling out the police . There is no middle-ground and zero common sense.

Decades ago not everyone hunted or shot a gun, but they would dare not question your ability to own a firearm ( regardless of it's type) and categorize your intentions based upon it either. Now the Liberal mantra is "No one needs to own one of those guns" and it is spoken without even the slightest of hesitation as if it is a universally accepted fact.
It won't be long before those guns become all guns.
Because don't forget their other favourite saying "The only people who need guns are the police and the military".....

Don't forget in the last go-round they also made a bunch of .22"s restricted and prohib just because they look like their big brothers. Armi jager AP74, the AJ AK47 lookalike copy in .22. This go round will probably include the STG44, MP40,GSG16,and the list will go on and on.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Things like the Thompson submachine gun were banned a lifetime ago and it doesn't affect anyone. If the AR15 is banned there are tons of suitable 223 semi auto replacements on the market. If you look at the 3 gun guys, many of them compete with non AR platform rifles. Many of these are non restricted so you can use them for shooting away from the range as well.
Wrong..it affects the folks with the proper 12X classes.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:14 PM

A small clip from Toronto...

Officer said Oskar Berrios Juarez, 49, and Jennifer Neira, 35, both from Toronto, each face numerous charges, including ten counts of making or possessing an explosive, four counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm, five counts of a prohibited or restricted weapon or prohibited device, and possessing a firearm with an altered serial number.

Once again, criminals are the problem...
Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
A small clip from Toronto...

Officer said Oskar Berrios Juarez, 49, and Jennifer Neira, 35, both from Toronto, each face numerous charges, including ten counts of making or possessing an explosive, four counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm, five counts of a prohibited or restricted weapon or prohibited device, and possessing a firearm with an altered serial number.

Once again, criminals are the problem...
And me, 42 years without any criminal activity on my record - checked daily - can't be trusted with a modern sporting rifle because...

And I am gonna say it in my next post *******edit mods if you need to *******...

Old 01-26-2020, 07:47 PM

Default Cuss words coming

Faak you if you can't recognise the truth.

If I need I time out than be it. I said my bit

Colin
Old 01-27-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Faak you if you can't recognise the truth.

If I need I time out than be it. I said my bit

Colin
Who are you upset with?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
And this is the reason we can't own anything nice in Kanacastan.....Some people are just ...thick.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 AM
Banned

I’m guessing this isn’t a hot topic given the fact that many or most are going to say pound sand and burry their guns for better times. This will be an even bigger and more expensive failure then the long gun registry I’m sure.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:28 AM

Default Something to think about

Had a conversation the other day and this was brought up ,where he got his info not sure.He said if and when restrictions are in place Governing bodies will go after reloading components IE ,powder ,brass,primers,tax the crap out of these so you can have as many guns as you want but no one can afford to reload,disturbing thought for sure.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:28 AM

What about the nerf gun are they gonna take those away 2 ?