Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Thunder Bull Down!!

This season was to be a bow zone combo: whitetails early, moose during the rut. Having seen moose on the property 4 years in a row I was somewhat confident that it would happen. Thing is, every 3blade moose hunt is a clufster duck: been charged twice, almost drowned, almost froze, stuck in the mud, wolves circling the tent, vehicle mishaps etc etc etc.

5 big mature bucks showed up in August so I was completely focused on a PR whitetail. Shot a doe on the first day, meat in the freezer, now I can be picky. Passed fawns and forkies for three weeks with only rare far off glimpses of the big guys - even when you do everything right, they just know what’s up. Last couple sits were very slow and nothing interesting on trail cams.

Yesterday I decided to switch it up, went in and moved my ground blind to a pinch point that had plenty of tracks, put out some scent wicks, and settled in to call. At the 15&45 min marks I did a series of grunts, at the 30 and hour marks I cow called. 7 pm I heard thunder in the distance, started packing up, something stopped me mid step told me to wait. I no sooner sat back down than a cow, calf and bull trotted 2 FEET past my blind - I would have met them head on had I opened the door - dang it stop! let out a loud UGHHHH! and the bull turned back. Draw30aimreleaseTHUMP the lighted nock disappears right where I was looking. He bolts, I scramble to get out of the blind, round the corner just in time to see him drop 80 yards away - HELL YEAH!! FIRST BULL MOOSE!!! Well 5 seconds later it starts raining and flashing so I duck back in the blind. The storm closes in, thunder shaking the ground, hail, blinding flashes, whatever, I’m happily calling family to let em know. It’ll blow over right? It does in a few minutes. So I get out in the field to tag and take pictures, only to be greeted by the second, much bigger storm on the horizon and closing fast. Ohhhh crap. I don’t wanna do this in an open field. Call the landowner, in minutes he graciously brings out the bobcat and drops the moose nuts guts and all into the truck box. Start driving home and hit the second worst storm I’ve ever been in...torrential rain, nonstop lightning and hail, 4x4 and 60 km/h on the henday. Thought the hail was gonna come through the windshield. Got home and looked at the drowned, very large critter in the box. Well I can tie it to a tree and drop it, but everything is soaked and muddy - just do it where it’s at. FWIW, cutting up a moose is not any easier in the box of a truck - I do not recommend. But it’s better than no moose. Plenty of help from my poor mom, laughing, swearing, blood and moose puke later (gutless method - he over pressured - head off the tailgate so no meat damage but what a smell), 3:30 am he’s on the makeshift meat pole, it’s 3 degrees and windy, and I’m done. What a day.