Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2023, 08:11 AM

Default I need suggestions

To make a long story short, I no longer have keys for my 2006 Ford F150. What is the easiest, cheapest, quickest way to get new ones made? I am hoping all I have to do is take the VIN to the nearest Ford dealership. Suggestions please. BEL
Old 05-01-2023, 08:18 AM

It isn't cheap they will want proof of ownership call around and see if a locksmith can do it cheaper
Old 05-01-2023, 08:21 AM

Not cheap. Sherwood Park Dodge wants 500.00 for a new ignition key and program for our Jeep Wrangler. Just haven't pulled the pin on getting that extra key yet...
Old 05-01-2023, 08:25 AM

An 06 may be cheaper than some of the newer models. I had a chip key made for an 01 f150 and it was around 120$. I had a key for them to copy though. Not sure how to do it outside of the dealer if you don’t have any of the keys.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Not cheap. Sherwood Park Dodge wants 500.00 for a new ignition key and program for our Jeep Wrangler. Just haven't pulled the pin on getting that extra key yet...
Get it done, keys are cheap on Amazon and if you have one key, local hardware store can cut it, the programing is fast and easy, but you need one functioning key to do it.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 05-01-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:25 AM

Ford was one of the last to get chipped keys. Your 2006 should be before that so a cheap key. If the dealer can't look up your key cut code from the serial number, your stuck with a new ignition and key. Then you have to get your door locks coded to the new key.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:40 PM

Default thanks

Thanks guys. I am looking at the various options listed here. BEL
Old 05-02-2023, 07:25 AM

from ford's support website:

"Key codes for vehicles older than 10 model years are not available. If your dealer is unable to duplicate your key, they may be able to recommend a reputable locksmith in your area to perform this service."

https://www.ford.ca/support/how-tos/...placement-key/

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:39 AM

I lost my keys for a F350 [stolen truck ] and Calgary Lock and safe drove on site and made the keys and I drove my truck out of the compound
Not sure of cost but they were very helpful
Old 05-03-2023, 10:04 PM

Pick and pull? Get a whole assly with key(s). Probably isnt that much but i dont know for sure. Best of luck.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Ford was one of the last to get chipped keys. Your 2006 should be before that so a cheap key. If the dealer can't look up your key cut code from the serial number, your stuck with a new ignition and key. Then you have to get your door locks coded to the new key.
My 01 f150 has a chipped key. Pull the ignition apart and you can see the sensor. Throw a regular cut metal key and it will turn but not start.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:09 PM

Default ford

After phoning various sources, it appears I may have to tow it to a ford dealership. BEL
Old 05-06-2023, 12:21 AM

I am a Ford mech of 10+ years.

The 2006 half ton has PATS (chip key). Ford dealerships can typically look up a key code for the cutting of new keys for up to 10 years from the date of manufacture.

My advice:

1) first ensure that the local Ford store cannot get you a key code by vin. If you happen to know the selling dealership then call them , too. Some proactive stores will log the key codes of the vehicles they sell from new and you may get lucky. If you don't know the selling dealership then reach out to me via PM

2) if no luck with Ford then visit a locksmith to get a steel blank cut. Most locksmiths only have the ability to 'clone' the chip on a key, and seeing as you have nothing to clone I would not expect the locksmith to be able to program your keys.

3) take your cut blank over to Ford and have them cut and subsequently program 2 chip keys. Of note, when they enter into the PATS functions with their IDS scan tool you may want to ask them to erase all previous keys. This way if the old keys end up with somebody who shouldn't possess them your truck has a better chance of remaining in your driveway ; )

You're looking at an hour's labour from a Ford service department to cut and program 2 keys.

For what it's worth, if you have 2 programmed chip keys then you can program further keys yourself without needing a Ford store to do it. There is a sequence cycling the keys in the ignition which allows for this.

Best of luck.
- Tyler
Old 05-06-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
After phoning various sources, it appears I may have to tow it to a ford dealership. BEL
Kid lost his one and only key while quading. Locksmith drove out and cut a key on site and programmed it for 400 I think it was. Still cheaper than the stealer ship wanted if towed in.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtpQnSZ_VM