Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Good overnight RV spot?

Greetings, all. My wife and I will be venturing forth with our 27' trailer in the first week of July. Launching from Williams Lake, we're heading for the area around Wildhorse. Our tentative route will be Hwy 1 to Medicine Hat, then south on 41. Can anyone suggest a nice area for a layover about halfway? Hookups would be nice, but certainly aren't a requirement.
Thanks
Pete
Old 05-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Greetings, all. My wife and I will be venturing forth with our 27' trailer in the first week of July. Launching from Williams Lake, we're heading for the area around Wildhorse. Our tentative route will be Hwy 1 to Medicine Hat, then south on 41. Can anyone suggest a nice area for a layover about halfway? Hookups would be nice, but certainly aren't a requirement.
Thanks
Pete
From what I can tell, it is 1200KM's from Williams lake to Medicine Hat so in order to help you, let us know where you plan on ending up at your half way point? When you mention WIldhorse, I assume your are talking the border crossing and heading to Havre......
Old 05-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Sorry, I wasn't very clear...I had it in my head that anywhere from Golden to Canmore would fit the bill, if that helps. Our destination will be the area around Wildhorse to visit our daughter and her beau.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear...I had it in my head that anywhere from Golden to Canmore would fit the bill, if that helps. Our destination will be the area around Wildhorse to visit our daughter and her beau.
Thanks
The park pass is free this year so you can stopp anywhere in the parks and not pay the fee....There is a campground by Field that you could stop by between Golden and Lake Louise. So basically, from there to Wildhorse border (and I am just guessing here), you are looking at another 6-7 hours of non stop driving....If you want to drive past Canmore, you can stop at Bow Valley campground as well. Keep in mind, if you are planning on the layover on the weekend, you will not find a spot to camp....
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Exclamation Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

The park pass is free this year so you can stop anywhere in the parks and not pay the fee ....

It's true that the Canada Park pass is free this year, but you still have to have one!
Don't get caught in the parks without it.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks, Kevin, I'll have a look at staying in the one of the parks. It'll be a midweek thing, so don't anticipate much trouble finding a spot somewhere. I'll peek at the interweb to see what Parks Canada has to say.
Sorry I can't be more definitive about Wildhorse. Our daughter only moved there about a month ago, and I know nothing about the area yet. Only that they're working on a large cattle ranch that covers 8 townships (?) of land.
Thanks again.
Pete
Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
It's true that the Canada Park pass is free this year, but you still have to have one!
Yes... I failed to mention that you can order your pass online but you can also stop at any Parks border and they will give your free pass there as well...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

one good thing........you sure as hell won't have trouble finding a parking place around wildhorse!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Tunnel mountain in banff has sites with full hookups.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...g/trailercourt

No fires allowed in that section but good for an overnight stop
Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
And what will happen if you get caught without one?
Generally they've never enforced it even when you needed to purchase one other than the stop checks they've done at Lake Louise and other area's .
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Thanks, rena, that's just the sort of thing I'm thinking of. I'll have a look at the website.
Pete
Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 AM

If you get a good days travel in you can also skip right through the parks and stop at Bow Valley Prov. Park just east of Canmore. No park pass needed and there are several campgrounds to consider. This one is very easy to access from the highway and is a very nice over night spot. GN
http://www.albertaparks.ca/bow-valle...g/willow-rock/
Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Thanks, GN, I'll have a look at that too. Not sure if I can keep the better half in the truck that long, though.....Many options to consider now, thanks to all of you.
Pete