Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Question Osman Auction Vs Michener Allen Edmonton

Hey Folks. Thinking of selling my 2006 F150 longbox 4wd at the auction. 164KM and was wondering if anyone knew where I would get the most bang for the buck. Best exposure? Best price? Lower commission?
I could call those businesses but I would get a biased answer obviously.
Thanks

Last edited by wildwoods; 05-17-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 PM

Shameless self bump. Very interested in someone's experiences
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 PM

put it on Kijiji
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Shameless self bump. Very interested in someone's experiences
In the past, I would use Michener to buy, as often better units were there, and used Osman to sell those that were problematic. If your unit is decent, you probably will get more money at Michener as they get many more public as opposed to dealers at Osman.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 PM

I have bought a bunch of stuff from Michener Allen over the years. Generally they have a huge turnout. That being said look at the fees they charge, you will come ahead if you sell on Kijiji. Get it detailed and have all service records handy.

Best of luck
Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Folks. Thinking of selling my 2006 F150 longbox 4wd at the auction. 164KM and was wondering if anyone knew where I would get the most bang for the buck. Best exposure? Best price? Lower commission?
Thanks
I have used Michener to buy and sell. I used to be a regular there. I can tell you that they give a good effort to sell vehicles for the fleet suppliers and dealers that bring them lots of repeat business. They do not give a fig about the guy that brings in the odd car or tuck to sell. When you go to a sale ,the first cars through before the crowd warms up are the private one off guys and they put little effort into it same for the end sale enders. They are filler and that's it. Don't think that because you bring your truck in early that it will get a better position in the sale ,because it won't Trust me on this!
When it comes to buying, be careful there to they have those magical "internet bidders" that drive the price along with the ringers in the crowd. Some on here will say oh your full of BS , just go to a sale or too and watch,especially on the recreational stuff like sleds and atv's. I quit dealing with them a few years ago because I saw too many sketchy sales going on. I have never been to Osman's. I would Never! sell a vehicle at auction again unless I was willing to take a bath on it ,because that is what will happen unless you are a known fleet supplier to them.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 PM

Default selling f150

Try adrenalin motors in sylvan lk.they just purchased my managers brothers 2005 f150 low k for around 12grand!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 PM

A friend of mine's dad is one of the upper guys at Osman, and he pretty much told me unless you need cash fast or it's ****ed, just put it on Kijiji. The extra few hundred or even few thousands you'll make selling it on Kijiji should easily compensate the time you have to put in to list it and deal with all the morons on Kijiji.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 AM

Unless you can't bring yourself to look in the eye of the guy you are selling it to, go Kijiji.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM

Michener definitely gets a better crowd out too their sales, they get a lot more vehicles as well. However they only have 1 sale per month where Osman has 1 per week (used to be 2). The auction company works for the seller, it is in their best interest to get as much for the vehicle as possible so dpnding in the interest in each vehicle that's what determines how much time is spent on it. If there are only a bid or two it goes through quick, if the bidding keeps going, the auctioneer doesn't stop until the bidding is done. You can put reserve prices on units as long as they are reasonable and within the market for that vehicle. If you want a crazy number they won't even consign it as it just wastes everyone's
Time.

There are no mystical internet bids, all internet bids are shown on a screen that everyone can see. Pretty hard to create a bid that everyone can easily tell there is no one bidding online. There are reserve prices as mentioned so the price does need to get to that number in order to sell in some cases.

The fleet units generate a lot of interest so they tend to get more time, private consignments are generally sought after as well, more so than the corner car lot guys dumping their stuff.

You will get more from kijiji buts it's a pain in the ass to deal with those people usually, I've done it both ways.

I know the business well, I've been an auctioneer at both places over the last 18 years.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM

I have gone to too many auctions chasing sleds, quads, etc.

I always see these guys in the back of the crowd that look pretty rough, that are EAGER TO BID in the beginning, then fall away. They never hold up a buyer's card??? Also, watch for changing hand signals from the Auctioneer.

A wholesale auto broker spoke to me about the practice of "bidding the wall" and the frequency of guys bidding you up, getting stuck with the vehicle when you quit bidding, and then refusing to buy. Then you get approached by an auctioneer representative saying the other guy backed out and if you still want it you can have it for his price.

All I can say is do not take the auction process as honest, even if the auctioneer is. Too much opportunity for friends to bid up equipment for owners, ghost bidding, hidden mechanical problems, severely abused vehicles, etc.

Also, there is no way to really test drive the equipment to find out beforehand that the Tranny slips between 3rd and 4th, or that the new tires on the unit are there to hide a major front end issue.

Finally, what is with these crazy buyers fees and sellers fees? I have seen 10 & 10 meaning that an Auctioneer with a gravel lot, a PA system, and a web site is getting 20 points on something he has no money into????

Set your price and walk away if you are at it. Make sure that there is a serious discount to address the surprises that you should expect.

Drewski
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM

I wouldn't go near an Osman Auction.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I have used Michener to buy and sell. I used to be a regular there. I can tell you that they give a good effort to sell vehicles for the fleet suppliers and dealers that bring them lots of repeat business. They do not give a fig about the guy that brings in the odd car or tuck to sell. When you go to a sale ,the first cars through before the crowd warms up are the private one off guys and they put little effort into it same for the end sale enders. They are filler and that's it. Don't think that because you bring your truck in early that it will get a better position in the sale ,because it won't Trust me on this!
When it comes to buying, be careful there to they have those magical "internet bidders" that drive the price along with the ringers in the crowd. Some on here will say oh your full of BS , just go to a sale or too and watch,especially on the recreational stuff like sleds and atv's. I quit dealing with them a few years ago because I saw too many sketchy sales going on. I have never been to Osman's. I would Never! sell a vehicle at auction again unless I was willing to take a bath on it ,because that is what will happen unless you are a known fleet supplier to them.
This is not BS, I've seen it with my own eyes. Bunch of guys biding on a truck, then the winning bidder disputes the final price.
I'm thinking the auctioneer is going to make them buy it anyway (as he should), but he let it go...it went to the second highest bidder. If it was me I wouldn't have bought it. This was at Osman's old place on 75th.

If I absolutely had to buy at auction I'd take a friend to scan the crowd just to make sure there actually is another bidder bidding against me
Old 05-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks
06 with only 164 k ... private sale ... your best bet ... !!!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Default ADESA in Nisku

Ask for Vance.
Professional auction selling to professional buyers.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybreaker View Post
Ask for Vance.
Professional auction selling to professional buyers.
Need a dealer's license to sell there. From their website:

ADESA Edmonton auctions provide registered dealers, brokers, automobile manufacturers, rental agencies as well as corporate and government fleets with a complete vehicle marketing solution in Alberta.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM

i was at osman one time the auctioneer started his routine ended up selling the vehicle called for the next one to roll in all the while his eyes never left his desk i left and have not been back since
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Private sale will net you more money unless the vehicle has significant mechanical issues.

It's a pain in the butt sometimes - but a couple extra grand makes that pain go away quickly.