Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Southern Alberta

Does anyone know if the grow in Southern Alberta. Say as far south as Lethbridge or Medicine Hat?

I dont recall ever seeing them, but never went looking specifically for them. Googled it, but most info seemsto indicate they grow further north.

I pick tons of meadow mushrooms but the can be somewhat bland.

Thanks,

Looper
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
Does anyone know if the grow in Southern Alberta. Say as far south as Lethbridge or Medicine Hat?

I dont recall ever seeing them, but never went looking specifically for them. Googled it, but most info seemsto indicate they grow further north.

I pick tons of meadow mushrooms but the can be somewhat bland.

Thanks,

Looper

I can't say for certain that you should be able to find them but I do know that lots of guys in the states pick them so I would guess they around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I can't say for certain that you should be able to find them but I do know that lots of guys in the states pick them so I would guess they around.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Alot of what I read refernces treed areas. I live in the bald ass prairie so maybe a walk through the cottonwoods along the SSR would be productive.

Looper
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Default Good year for Morels?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Ones we found are in aspen parkland mixed deciduous forest with a few conifers.

LC
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
Makes sense. Thanks.

Alot of what I read refernces treed areas. I live in the bald ass prairie so maybe a walk through the cottonwoods along the SSR would be productive.

Looper

You nailed it!

You will mostly find Golden Morels associated with Cottonwood in the Lethbridge/ Medicine Hat area.
In addition to the river bottoms, look at those old treelined irrigation canals.

Morels along the southern rivers typically start growing about now, with the main flush occurring in early to mid June. This year seems to be a week or so early from the norm. Time to start looking.

Morels fruit best where there has been some surface disturbance.
With the buffalo long gone, cattle do a pretty good job in helping morels grow.

Cottonwoods and Cattle = Morels

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Morels

I have been hunting them for years and have noticed that deer will eat the golden and black morels but will leave the verpas. Only know this by the tracks that were left after waiting a couple days for the morels to mature.Unless of course someone was only picking verpas lol.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I have been hunting them for years and have noticed that deer will eat the golden and black morels but will leave the verpas. Only know this by the tracks that were left after waiting a couple days for the morels to mature.Unless of course someone was only picking verpas lol.
Deer get their first fresh boost of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, vitamins and other elements in the springtime from morels.

When picking it is good to leave a few for the animals. A few animals love eating morels. And if you pick where you hunt if you pick all the morels maybe it will affect the antler quality of the ungulates that live there. Maybe?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Morels

Boy if I had a sniffer like a deer I would always have morels
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

I could no resist going out for a couple hours today for some more Krevanka's. Tried some different spots in search of some black tops, but still only brown tops in my zones. Maybe a week or two. Did find a couple jumbo's that are bigger then most of the perch I've caught lately. Lol. I can't believe the amount of Shrooms this spring.
DAMN... can't send pic of 6" Krevanka

Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper View Post
makes sense. Thanks.

Alot of what i read refernces treed areas. I live in the bald ass prairie so maybe a walk through the cottonwoods along the ssr would be productive.

Looper
yes!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I can never tell if your for real or just playing with us.....

all mushrooms should be cooked. SHGGY MILK CAPS are poisonous but I seen people collect and eat them after boiling. You got to change water about three times and boil for 45 min.

would you eat these? (first pic) I did and they were |Fkn delicious. Chopped, fried in lots of butter letting juices come out then adding little bit of water and simmer for 15 min. Then add potatoes to skillet. Oh salt and pepper for taste.

How about this? (second pic) bread it then fry in butter, serve with maple syrup. can freeze but taste is affected, also dry, taste affected.

Waterninja should be telling you all about liberty bells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orange milk caps Lactarius Deliciosus.jpg (94.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Western Giant Puffball (Calvatia booniana).jpg (42.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfri View Post
all mushrooms should be cooked. SHGGY MILK CAPS are poisonous but I seen people collect and eat them after boiling. You got to change water about three times and boil for 45 min.

would you eat these? (first pic) I did and they were |Fkn delicious. Chopped, fried in lots of butter letting juices come out then adding little bit of water and simmer for 15 min. Then add potatoes to skillet. Oh salt and pepper for taste.

How about this? (second pic) bread it then fry in butter, serve with maple syrup. can freeze but taste is affected, also dry, taste affected.

I wouldn't eat the ones on the left, because I'm not 100% sure they are safe. The one on the right looks like what we have always called a "Puffball". They are supposed to be edible when fresh and Iv'e read taste good fried in butter. I've always passed.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Deer get their first fresh boost of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, vitamins and other elements in the springtime from morels.

When picking it is good to leave a few for the animals. A few animals love eating morels. And if you pick where you hunt if you pick all the morels maybe it will affect the antler quality of the ungulates that live there. Maybe?
What an interesting tip Red. I know that if you are picking Shrooms in a Provincial Recreation Area like Blackfoot/Cooking lake, you are asked to restrict your harvest and leave some for the wildlife. I always thought that referred to smaller animals, but I never thought about deer. My main picking area's have a healthy population of both Whitetail and Mule deer. It never occured to me that I was competing with them for shrooms.
Looks like it will be a great year for both deer and mallard ducks.
As for deer eating only Morel's and ignoring Verpa's, I'm sceptical.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfri View Post

What are "SHGGY MILK CAPS"?

Do you mean liberty caps? If you know about them you definitely are "experienced".
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=Red Bullets;3544255]What are "SHGGY MILK CAPS"?

Do you mean liberty caps? If you know about them you definitely are

Liberty caps is another name they are known by so yes.

I NEED TO CORRECT THE SHGGY MILK CAPS. THE ONES I MEANT TO MENTION IN MY PREVIOUS POST, ARE WOLLY MILKCAPS!

WOLLY MILKCAPS

These are the ones I heard you need to boil like 3x changing water every time for about 45 min each time. I have heard this from a few europeans, two of them were russian. Russians are big into foraging for mushrooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woolly Milkcap.jpg (76.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg Woolly Milkcap2.jpeg (13.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=Fishfri;3544455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
What are "SHGGY MILK CAPS"?

Do you mean liberty caps? If you know about them you definitely are

Liberty caps is another name they are known by so yes.

I NEED TO CORRECT THE SHGGY MILK CAPS. THE ONES I MEANT TO MENTION IN MY PREVIOUS POST, ARE WOLLY MILKCAPS!

WOLLY MILKCAPS

These are the ones I heard you need to boil like 3x changing water every time for about 45 min each time. I have heard this from a few europeans, two of them were russian. Russians are big into foraging for mushrooms.
I have even eaten Fly Agarics when prepared properly. I won't describe the process because it can be screwed up and the results while safe were not worth the effort when there are plenty of safer shrooms out there.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Banned

This post is full of misinformation!! Haha

I'm off picking some black morels today. Picked a pound yesterday. Still early in my northern spots.

I should be rolling in the good stuff today, I'm expecting 5-20lbs
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
This post is full of misinformation!! Haha

I'm off picking some black morels today. Picked a pound yesterday. Still early in my northern spots.

I should be rolling in the good stuff today, I'm expecting 5-20lbs
Happy Hunting. I'm hopeing the black tops start next week in the area's I pick. Would love to see some pic's of your Morels. I here they can grow quite large.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM

The lad's first Morel hunt, K-country came through. Not many but enough to have with supper tonight - 4 year olds get bored with looking pretty quickly. Will check the same area next weekend, could be even better

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Oooohhh....

You boyz been hidin on me......

"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM

Picked 2 icecream pails full today, with lots this size. Was a good day.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 PM

^^^

That's the real deal!

LC
Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
The lad's first Morel hunt, K-country came through. Not many but enough to have with supper tonight - 4 year olds get bored with looking pretty quickly. Will check the same area next weekend, could be even better

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats a beautifull mushroom. Believe it or not, I would really like to pick some this week. Looks as happy as he would if he was holding an ice cream cone.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM

I found a whole 3 golden morels yesterday along with some tasty asperagus..mmmm

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I found a whole 3 golden morels yesterday along with some tasty asperagus..mmmm

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Very nice. There is some volunteer asparagus growing along the river in Edmonton too. Noticed you are in the south.

Across the lake from Kelowna the shoreline of Okanagan lake is filled with wild asparagus. Used to pick huge bundles.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 PM

How long does the season last in central Alberta? First time picking today, fluked out and started seeing them 5 minutes in. I'm obsessed now after sautéed with butter and cream over toast haha.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 PM

I get a few suppers a year around here but its like combat picking with the locals usually ..lol
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
How long does the season last in central Alberta? First time picking today, fluked out and started seeing them 5 minutes in. I'm obsessed now after sautéed with butter and cream over toast haha.
Not very long. Hopefully a couple more weeks in central Alberta.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Banned

Asperagus. Another great thing to look for in the spring. At least Asperagus seems to hang around a lot longer then Morels. Congrats on a good find.