Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Default How's the bow

I headed to the bow a little early this year and it was a disaster. Heading there tomorrow morning to see if I can get any luck. Anyone know how the conditions are and how's the fishing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35 PM

The bow was good 2 days ago. Water visibility was pretty good and I landed a good amount of fish in a few hours out
Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishislife1 View Post
I headed to the bow a little early this year and it was a disaster. Heading there tomorrow morning to see if I can get any luck. Anyone know how the conditions are and how's the fishing ?

Conditions are good, but it is the Bow---it is a fickle, fickle river. I went 5 times with authoritative skunkings, then pulled double digits in a couple hours. The adult rainbows are spawning, so there are fewer fish, but it has not seemed to affect the fishing too much.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Sweet thanks for the info guys hopefully I don't get skunked and chased out of Calgary :/

Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Sweet thanks for the info guys hopefully I don't get skunked and chased out of Calgary :/

Did you have a confrontation with someone???

As far as the fishing is concerned it's been good lately. I even got my first on the dry the other night. Nymphing and streaming your best bet however.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Did you have a confrontation with someone???

As far as the fishing is concerned it's been good lately. I even got my first on the dry the other night. Nymphing and streaming your best bet however.

Hehehehe no but every time I come I get skunked and have to go farther south to catch. And sweet Nymphing is what I come to do!!! And tips on where to go besides fish creek?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hehehehe no but every time I come I get skunked and have to go farther south to catch. And sweet Nymphing is what I come to do!!! And tips on where to go besides fish creek?

Oh man there's so many places south of the glenmore bridge...and depending on the day they could be in so many of the different holes.

Honestly my best piece of advice no matter where you go is to keep moving...if you're nymphing try to keep moving upstream a few feet every few casts. Don't waste your time casting in the same spot for an hour. If you find a hole work it top to bottom, if you don't get anything then move on!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Oh man there's so many places south of the glenmore bridge...and depending on the day they could be in so many of the different holes.

Honestly my best piece of advice no matter where you go is to keep moving...if you're nymphing try to keep moving upstream a few feet every few casts. Don't waste your time casting in the same spot for an hour. If you find a hole work it top to bottom, if you don't get anything then move on!

Good advice thank you I'll do just that.