Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 PM

Default Fly Fishing in Northern Alberta

In recent years I have been exploring the vast network of rivers and their tributaries in the Whitecourt/Fox Creek/Swan Hills areas. I have to say that the fish populations are back up after the flooding in 2013. I believe that the efforts of the Alberta Government through Fish and Wildlife has been a huge factor in the recovery of this fishery.
Last summer I drifted the Berland River with a local guiding outfit out of Whitecourt. It was an amazing day of fishing we got 35-40 fish in the net, saw a few elk all in a 12km stretch of the river, what a great day!
Other small creeks and streams also produced some really good fish! It seems every time I go out I find a new little stream, it surprises me with good fish, oh and I learned quick about the bears. Ya gotta protect yourself!
This area has proven to me time and time again to have "World Class Fly Fishing" hands down! Love this Place!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Memories

I spent a good part of my childhood exploring these streams, and the lakes in the area, with my Dad. I LOVED every minute of it. I didn't take up fly fishing until many years later, but a while now I've tried to make it back at least annually, to get my grayling fix! I'd like to spend a bit more time reacquainting myself with the area (and fish)...maybe this year (my own kids are almost old enough to tag along now)

Doug
Old 05-12-2017, 10:02 PM

Maybe the fish numbers aren't up since the flood.........maybe you just got better at fishing

Tags
fishing in whitecourt, fly fishing, river fishing, whitecourt