Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Wedge Pond, Bear Pond, Quarry Lake...looking for updates

Anyone out trying these lakes yet? Winterkill signs? Fish sizes?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Was out by wedge yesterday, May 4th.

FROZEN. thawing around the edges but no open water yet.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

is there a gate that closes on the route to Bear?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
is there a gate that closes on the route to Bear?
Sure is, but I am fairly certain the road opened May 1st unlike the section of highway 40 that's not for a while yet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Sure is, but I am fairly certain the road opened May 1st unlike the section of highway 40 that's not for a while yet.

thanks. bear doesn't thaw until fairly late, it's quite a bit higher than chain lakes but with this really nice weather we've been having I might go see next week

Old 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
thanks. bear doesn't thaw until fairly late, it's quite a bit higher than chain lakes but with this really nice weather we've been having I might go see next week
Be sure to take pics.

I will be living vicariously until the cast comes off and the rehab is "done"

Old 05-04-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That would be great. I am going to watch hard for those poacher dudes at Bear Pond again. This time maybe sneak out and get their license number.

Hopefully some grayling are over 16.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Has anyone made the hike past bear to big iron? I hear the path is relatively hard to find.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Has anyone made the hike past bear to big iron? I hear the path is relatively hard to find.

yes. and yes. Takes a bit of bushwhacking/map reading skills. On the way in I sorta just hoofed it past bear pond, on the way out I took a trail of sorts that lead me back to the road instead of past bear pond.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM

I went into Big Iron 25 years ago and the only place to lose the path is crossing the meadow after climbing the hill above Bear Pond. Head straight across and there was a cairn on the other side by the path at the forest edge. Big Iron would winter kill frequently and I don't know if F&W gave up on stocking it.

This hill going down to the lake is steep for a short section, to the point where you could not get down it without using tree roots as stair steps. Not a problem but if you find yourself heading down this path, you are on the right track.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I went into Big Iron 25 years ago and the only place to lose the path is crossing the meadow after climbing the hill above Bear Pond. Head straight across and there was a cairn on the other side by the path at the forest edge. Big Iron would winter kill frequently and I don't know if F&W gave up on stocking it.

This hill going down to the lake is steep for a short section, to the point where you could not get down it without using tree roots as stair steps. Not a problem but if you find yourself heading down this path, you are on the right track.
18 inch plus grayling at Big Iron. 10-16 inch at Bear
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM

I got half a dozen at big iron last year and they were all 10-14". If anything, smaller than the ones in bear. It seems like it'd winterkill easier

Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I got half a dozen at big iron last year and they were all 10-14". If anything, smaller than the ones in bear. It seems like it'd winterkill easier
Good Intel.

At Bear Pond after ice out I saw a dead 18 incher. Didn't catch any that big. Guy coming back from Big Iron said they were 18 inchers there. Hoped they had nicer ones.

It is nice that they are catch and release. They seemed fickle at times however I did ok at Bear.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM

I definitely do better with flies than the gearchuckers do there, they can be downright squirrely at times. If the weather's bad I've only found them down deep, and if it's good sometimes I get them on dries 3 feet from shore

Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 PM

bear's mostly off and not winterkilled

Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
bear's mostly off and not winterkilled
Woohoo great news.