Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Fly Fishing in Oregon & Washington

I'm taking a road trip through Washington and Oregon in mid-June. I was wondering if any of you had any fly-fishing experiences in these states? If so, what would you compare them too here in AB?

I was also wondering if any of you know of any decent B & B's along the way that might be worth checking out?

Basically if you have any experience with these regions whether it be lodging, site-seeing, fishing etc. I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Try to fish the Deschutes if you can. It is awesome for steelhead and bows. I only had 2 hits but watched fly fishers and spin casters around me hook into some nice steelies. It is a great mid-sized river with excellent shore casting and floating opportunities. I think you would really like this river. This was around 12 years ago for me so it has been awhile though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschutes_River_(Oregon)

I think I have a book on Oregon rivers and will check that out tonight when I’m back home.

I also fished a river near Salem that I cannot recall. Started at the dam which was shoulder to shoulder but explored and found some nice quiet spots…not hits though.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Try to fish the Deschutes if you can. It is awesome for steelhead and bows. I only had 2 hits but watched fly fishers and spin casters around me hook into some nice steelies. It is a great mid-sized river with excellent shore casting and floating opportunities. I think you would really like this river. This was around 12 years ago for me so it has been awhile though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschutes_River_(Oregon)

I think I have a book on Oregon rivers and will check that out tonight when I’m back home.

I also fished a river near Salem that I cannot recall. Started at the dam which was shoulder to shoulder but explored and found some nice quiet spots…not hits though.
I have done some research and the Deschutes seems to be popping up quite a bit. Looks like a nice stretch of river. I will have to find a place to set up base camp.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Hi,

I have done a few trumps on the deachutes both above and below maupin - not to be missed, it is a fantastic fishery. Located close by is the John day (bass and steelhead), and the hood river is also worth it (enters the Columbia at the town of Hood River) heading towards Portland.

Depending what time of year and how far south In Oregon you are going I would also suggest the willamette river in Eugene - rainbows, cuties and steelhead. Also there are all the "s" rivers of Washington - skagit, skykomish and stilliguamish - for trout - steelhead have been decimated last few years.

Some are easy to walk and wade, others better to have a boat - the snake and salmon are also options. What route are you going to get there from AB? Lots to fish in MT and ID on the way.

Cheers,
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Thought I had a book on it but I do not. I have Alaska, Montana and Idaho.

We fished only the one day it was downstream of Maupin. Here are some pics from the first stop:

Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 PM

Rogue river Oregon .. lots of salmon and steelhead

if you can head into Whiskey creek

when the runs on

fun fun fun

David
Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Hi,

I have done a few trumps on the deachutes both above and below maupin - not to be missed, it is a fantastic fishery. Located close by is the John day (bass and steelhead), and the hood river is also worth it (enters the Columbia at the town of Hood River) heading towards Portland.

Depending what time of year and how far south In Oregon you are going I would also suggest the willamette river in Eugene - rainbows, cuties and steelhead. Also there are all the "s" rivers of Washington - skagit, skykomish and stilliguamish - for trout - steelhead have been decimated last few years.

Some are easy to walk and wade, others better to have a boat - the snake and salmon are also options. What route are you going to get there from AB? Lots to fish in MT and ID on the way.

Cheers,
Well the plan is to head out through BC and work our way to Seattle. Then drive the coast down to about Bandon. Head east from there and spend some time in the crater lake area. Then back up north from there (this is where I will probably hit the Deschutes). Then from there work our way back home through Idaho and Montana.

I am not gonna bring the drift boat...probably just wade for the most part...although it is MIGHTY tempting.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:40 AM

You can sure have fun in Idaho and Montana too.

Good fishing shows on a couple of Oregon rivers last night on WFN. Deschutes has a salmon fly hatch from mid-May to mid-June that looked to be amazing. That and caddis.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Well the plan is to head out through BC and work our way to Seattle. Then drive the coast down to about Bandon. Head east from there and spend some time in the crater lake area. Then back up north from there (this is where I will probably hit the Deschutes). Then from there work our way back home through Idaho and Montana.

I am not gonna bring the drift boat...probably just wade for the most part...although it is MIGHTY tempting.
I understand that Crane Prairie Reservoir is supposed to be one of the premier still water fishing experiences in that Bend Oregon area. Need to be on the water though. A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to accompany him there, and I think it is on my list for next summer.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Default deschutes

I believe there is a no fishing from boats or tubes restriction on the Deschutes better check when you pick up your licence local fly shop in Hood river has the scoop

You can also fish the Columbia up around Rufus Oregon side small mouth bass on poppers. The wind can be a bitch not much fun unless it is a calm day