Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Yup..^ our grandkids will have even less opportunity of choosing fishable lakes to fish. Like I said, be patient, the next ice age will be here soon enough and the receding glaciers will form all kinds of fresh fishing opportunities.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Not saying that fracking doesn't cause problems, but the drop in water levels in Alberta is almost entirely due to climate. Too many dry winters, too many hot summers. It all adds up to reduce water levels, and once they are down the water warms up more and therefore evaporates more, and that's a hard cycle to break. Beaverhill Lake in the late 1980s was a 200 square kilometer birder's paradise, now it has dried up completely. Sandy Lake northwest of Edmonton was a nice place to swim in the 1980s, now it is a cattail choked slough. Miquelon Lake has gone from a great swimming location to a big slough where swimming is no longer recommended. Hastings Lake dropped about 8 feet during the dry years and has gone from a good place to fish to having no fish. Heck, even in Elk Island Park, where there is no industrial activity, Astotin Lake has dropped so much that the Boardwalk Trail over a wetland is now largely over dry land, and the Tawayik Lake trail used to be impassible in summer because it went through a wetland at The Narrows, but a few weeks ago I was there and that part of the trail is now high and dry, even in Spring.
wow , a rational comment . thanks for commenting .
Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
No he was in charge of construction of the leases and was in constant contact with all aspects of this.he knew exactly which lease we were moving to next which ones were coming up and where the rigs were moving to.All our work was building multi pad leases for methane but there was oil/gas drilling as well.IT's pretty obvious something happened to the spring feeding Clear,I went there almost every year since 1981 and seen it dry up during and soon after the drilling occurred.
The water in that lake looked like tap water,one of very few in AB.
was his name brad ?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
was his name brad ?
I can't remember ......but idiot works
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Thunder lake used to be nice. Growing up in Barrhead I been there lots. Last time I was there was year ago and it was bad! And heard it only gotten worse. All the lakes in the area are bad! But have came up a bit not lots but a bit with the wet year last year and wet weather lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Thunder lake used to be nice. Growing up in Barrhead I been there lots. Last time I was there was year ago and it was bad! And heard it only gotten worse. All the lakes in the area are bad! But have came up a bit not lots but a bit with the wet year last year and wet weather lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's up to the normal spring level but it looks like chit soup.I was amazed to see minnows but not surprised to hear "no bites". The weeds are beginning to grow in the launch and it stinks! By July it will be a cesspool of leaches.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Not saying that fracking doesn't cause problems, but the drop in water levels in Alberta is almost entirely due to climate. Too many dry winters, too many hot summers. It all adds up to reduce water levels, and once they are down the water warms up more and therefore evaporates more, and that's a hard cycle to break. Beaverhill Lake in the late 1980s was a 200 square kilometer birder's paradise, now it has dried up completely. Sandy Lake northwest of Edmonton was a nice place to swim in the 1980s, now it is a cattail choked slough. Miquelon Lake has gone from a great swimming location to a big slough where swimming is no longer recommended. Hastings Lake dropped about 8 feet during the dry years and has gone from a good place to fish to having no fish. Heck, even in Elk Island Park, where there is no industrial activity, Astotin Lake has dropped so much that the Boardwalk Trail over a wetland is now largely over dry land, and the Tawayik Lake trail used to be impassible in summer because it went through a wetland at The Narrows, but a few weeks ago I was there and that part of the trail is now high and dry, even in Spring.
This really is the crux of the issue,,, many more drier years than wetter years since the mid 70's.

A string of wet years will do more to restore higher water levels than anything we can do. Just look at how wet East Sask has become with several years of above average precip in the last ten years .
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I can't remember ......but idiot works
There was 1 of them running around who went by the name of Duke something or other who was a top shelf A___H__LE.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I will agree with this whole heartedly. But I'm siding with Batteredbeer on Clear Lake. The change at Clear Lake was night and day and literally happened overnight. I fished that lake regularly from the mid 80's until the late 90's and the water was always clear like tap water. Quite suddenly it became a muck hole and never recovered.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-25-2017 at 03:49 PM.