Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Thumbs down Case 621b driveline failure- was a U-JOINT!!!

I was using my 1996 Case 621b payloader moving snow last night. I started again this morning. When I was bringing it home I felt a vibration that was never there before. I stopped and got out to check underneath, but saw nothing. I hoped it was just ripples on the icy road. Then there was a thunk. It sounds like a gear is being eaten. It would actually stop the wheels from moving. Again I went underneath, checked the driveshaft, nothing. I limped it 2 blocks home barely moving, if you go slow enough it doesn't lock up, obviously I could not leave it on a street.
I am not sure what it is, transmission most likely, but there are parts looking for sunshine. I have not dropped filters yet looking for shavings, I know they will be there.
I will very likely end up parting the old girl out, even though I am quite mechanically able and active, this is too much for me to tackle.
Any ideas?

I just talked to a guy parting out a fire damaged unit that thinks it may be the crown and pinion.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:37 PM

I had a similar problem with a old '88 4-Runner.

Turned out a seal leaked on a rear axle, and the lube got onto the rear brake shoes. The shoes stuck to the drum so well when I applied the brakes, that the drum yanked the shoes right off of the anchors.

I got the same strange noises and "symptoms" that you describe, and had a 'heck' of a time both stopping and starting.
Like you, I had to crawl home.

I was amazed at the mess I saw when I removed the drums.

Not sayin that's the problem, but it might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't panic just yet; it takes two guys to figure out where the crunches are coming from - one to move it, and one on the ground to listen.

It might be a brake issue, a tooth off a pinion, a U-joint....could be a lot of fairly cheap and easy fixes. I don't know anything about 621B's, but if it has final drives, that's the first thing I'd be listening closely to. (I just looked; it does. Get your buddy to stick his ear up against them first!)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Don't panic.
It always sucks when something fails. Good news is there is nothing in that vintage machine that is beyond your ability based on your previous projects posted.
I'd suspect trouble in a diff more than tranny but either is manageable.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Two words Ken...(and for all the snowflakes, exit now so you don't get triggered..but this is a very old expression with a specific meaning....)

Jewish Lightning.

(for those who are triggered, it really just means to insure property then burn it to the ground for a profit, it's not anti semitic, the expression originated in New York where condemned buildings were bought, over insured, and torched...)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-09-2018, 04:25 PM

It’s an axle ring and pinion that is toast, they are a weak point on the older case machines. Figure out which one, most likely the front would be my drive by troubleshooting lol. Pull the drain plug on both to confirm.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM

If anyone has real life experience on these, or knows someone that does, and has some time I would sure appreciate some help. I cant pay $125 per hour but you will not go home hungry or unhappy. I am going to do what I can but will never turn down an experienced hand.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 PM

So, I went out today to pull the oil plugs in the planetarys to check for shavings, but of course did not have a 7/8" allen socket. I welded some nuts onto a bolt, but kept breaking the welds.
Then a buddy showed up, got him to listen and put his hand on the planetary on each corner. He couldn't figure out for sure which one it was, so I went underneath to take a look.
Then I saw the sheared U-joint. Happy day!!

A few of the bolts are pretty rough, but I think I can get them out. At the very worst a new pinion yoke is $540, U-joint is only $160

Not so bad. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 PM

That's great to hear!!

I know the stress, always seems to be worse case when I have to dig into something but sometimes the worry is the most frustrating part.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Good news Ken.

Get the yoke and then you’ll have piece of mind. Check the machine over to make sure it was properly serviced to avoid any more head aches.

BW
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM

oh you bet, going to take it to the carwash, clean everything to find any oil leaks, check over / change all fluids

thank you

Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 PM

Glad to hear you will not lose your new snow toy for to long
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 PM

I called redhead eqpt Lloydminster for parts, yoke turned out to be $1250, yoke nut $98, seal $190, bolts and straps $100+.
Happily in was able to buy a complete used driveshaft, yoke, bucket pin for $560 shipped. I didnt have to change out the yoke, was able to get the broken bolt extracted. Yehaw. Now I have some spare parts and I am ready to beat up on snow again.
Anyone got some 24v 4x6 floodlights for sale?