Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Opinions on yeti coolers?

What are some opinions on Yeti coolers? Worth the $$$$?
PB Rocky White 5.3lbs
PB Lake Trout 17lbs(need to step my game up)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

I have 2, medium and large. When I bought them there was nothing better and there still may not be but I think there may now be some that are just as good or close to a yeti but cheaper
Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeebs View Post
What are some opinions on Yeti coolers? Worth the $$$$?
In short, ABSOLUTELY!!!! I was skeptical until my family all pooped in and bought me one. A firm believer now with not only a hard cooler but the ramblers and soft cooler in the family. They sure aren’t cheap but they work! I would t be scared of using an off name brand like cabelas instead of yeti or grizzly. Just remember that for them to be officially bear proof they need the locks installed not just the latches they come with. Surprising how many people don’t know that.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 AM

I picked up an RTIC cooler. It is a HUGE improvement over my old coleman extreme. The new rotomolded coolers are VERY efficient.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
In short, ABSOLUTELY!!!! I was skeptical until my family all pooped in and bought me one.
You have a strange family.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
lol
Old 12-08-2018, 11:25 AM

I bought an Engel from UK here in Edmoton - as good as Yeti, 30-40% lower cost. But worth the coin compared to the old coleman crappers.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM

We use Mainline coolers. I believe just as good if not better than Yeti, but not cheap either. Day 8 of Elk camp this fall we still had ice cubes and no water in the bottom of the cooler. An investment but well worth it IMO.

Craig
Old 12-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Default the youtube 5 day challenge is interesting

https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...d-and-reviewed

https://bestcooler.reviews/best-insu...nd-rotomolded/

https://thecoolerbox.com/coolers-like-yeti-but-cheaper/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg&t=115s

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 12-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Dissenting opinion. I don't think their price is warranted for the performance. I could care less if a cooler is bear proof. Bear comes that close to camp he isn't going to be chewing on my cooler and if I am not in camp the cooler isn't where a bear can get at it.

As far as the improved cooling, if you are camping in hot weather for more than 5 days where you can't get more ice, maybe. If replacement ice is available then no.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Yeti

My kids bought me a yeti for my birthday now security for it becomes an issue because I like to leave it in the back of my truck. If I was looking to buy one I would look at the cooler they have at Peavy mart half the price of a yeti. Yes they will keep ice for a long time but don't expect that if you put in warm drinks that haven't been cooled down
Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

I have a "Roadie", I think that's what it's called. Cost $260 at Cabelas. It does a good job, but boy was I a sucker to have paid that much!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Coolers

Check out the Pelican Coolers. Free shipping from a dealer in Stittsville, Ontario.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM

I looked into both yeti and pelican. Ended up buying a 70 quarts pelican at the time I love it since bought a 30 and 20 quarts pelican. They are great coolers a little cheaper then yeti and I didn’t like the rubber straps on yeti. I prefer the hard plastic lid lockers on the pelicans
Old 12-08-2018, 03:17 PM

On 21 April 2018, NRA-ILA (the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action) issued a press release reporting that the YETI brand of coolers had severed their business relationship with the NRA:

Suddenly, without prior notice, YETI has declined to do business with The NRA Foundation saying they no longer wish to be an NRA vendor, and refused to say why. They will only say they will no longer sell products to The NRA Foundation. That certainly isn’t sportsmanlike. In fact, YETI should be ashamed. They have declined to continue helping America’s young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities. These activities enable them to appreciate America and enjoy our natural resources with wholesome and healthy outdoor recreational and educational programs.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Lots of really great roto cooler options for heavy users these days. Yeti, Pelican, Engel, RTIC, etc, etc. I have a buddy who used his ancient Yeti weekly. I own a couple of Pelicans, that we use often and they’ve been superb. Solid, solid coolers, and like many of the competitors in this corner of the industry- lifetime warranty.

Worth every penny, IMO, if you use your coolers often.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Gosh darn auto correct lol pooled. Although I could see them pooping in one and giving it to me too....
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Dissenting opinion. I don't think their price is warranted for the performance. I could care less if a cooler is bear proof. Bear comes that close to camp he isn't going to be chewing on my cooler and if I am not in camp the cooler isn't where a bear can get at it.

As far as the improved cooling, if you are camping in hot weather for more than 5 days where you can't get more ice, maybe. If replacement ice is available then no.
Some places require the use of a bear proof cooler such as the Smith River State Park in Montana.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Gosh darn auto correct lol pooled. Although I could see them pooping in one and giving it to me too....
I was wondering why that would make someone so happy lol.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator john View Post
Check out the Pelican Coolers. Free shipping from a dealer in Stittsville, Ontario.
Website for this?
PB Rocky White 5.3lbs
PB Lake Trout 17lbs(need to step my game up)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Honestly, YETI makes great products, IME. But, their sponsorship of BHA, and by extension Y2Y, I'd choose a different cooler.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Have had an Engel for about six years now. usually take two week long camping trips during the summer and like to find places that are quiet and a long way from humanity. Used to use your basic Coleman and would have to make at least one trip to civilization for ice. With the Engel, if we're careful and don't leave the lid up for any more than necessary we can get through the entire week...and that has included Cypress Hills in 30c weather.
Figure the money I've saved not having to run into some town for ice over the years has paid for what the cooler cost over the Coleman.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 PM

Yeti! Typical US marketing to sell products that are way over priced!!

If your interested in learning something about coolers go into Underwater Kenetics and get an education. And, I bet you will buy a really good cooler for a much better cost!! Or just buy a Yeti!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
In short, ABSOLUTELY!!!! I was skeptical until my family all pooped in and bought me one. A firm believer now with not only a hard cooler but the ramblers and soft cooler in the family. They sure aren’t cheap but they work! I would t be scared of using an off name brand like cabelas instead of yeti or grizzly. Just remember that for them to be officially bear proof they need the locks installed not just the latches they come with. Surprising how many people don’t know that.
Id never use a cooler if my family pooped in it . Lol
Old 12-08-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
We might be related .lol
Old 12-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Some places require the use of a bear proof cooler such as the Smith River State Park in Montana.
That would be a huge concern for most of us.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

For the last 30 some years I've only had 2 bears get into my cooler.
Not a common problem.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:25 PM

From some of the reviews I have read the orion cooler beats the yeti. Rokslide does a big review on the top brands every year.

https://www.rokslide.com/2018-rokslide-cooler-showdown/

https://westerncanoekayak.com/gear-a.../new-category/
Old 12-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

It’s like anything.

It’s what one is willing to afford.

If you have $$$ to spend and it doesn’t bother you, then buy it.
If you don’t, then you will buy what you can afford.

It’s like having a girl friend vs having a wife.

Both do the same thing, but one will cost more.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM

We thought the owner was bit goofy bringing in Yeti stuff to sell at the shop. The cups and stuff sell pretty well, the coolers are slow going, even to staff. I always look at them as that, they are only as good as what you put in them, was cold to start with, and they won't perform any better than anything else, if you are constantly opening them. And if you are not opening them-- why did you haul it out there in the first place?