Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
On the recommendation of my breeder, for the first week, I woke up twice every night to take my pup out at 1 and 4am every night. For the ext two weeks, I switched to one time at 3am. By the fourth week , my pup was making it through the night without issue, and within a month, accidents were rare.
This works especially well in the winter. The cold hits the little gaffers and they cannot help but pee.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-02-2018, 02:34 PM

I had the bright idea of taking my guy when he got about 6 months over to the elementary school so he could get used to kids. Two little girls spotted him and freaked and ran out into the middle of the road. Lucky no cars were coming. I never went back to the elementary school but went to lots of parks.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Hoping for a 1 week update from the OP to determine what is working and what he might do differently in regards potty training. 3 weeks till we get the new pup. Also curious about vaccination schedules and costs.What exactly does each shot protect against?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 AM

EVERY time the puppy barked I put it out side, It very soon learned that if it had to go , all it had to do was bark to get our attention.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:06 PM

The more time you spend with the pup and continue positive reinforcement the easier it gets, show the pup what you want and be consistent.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Congrats on the new pooch!

Lots of good advice here.

Be consistent, and concise in your training commands. Practice the KISS rule, keep in mind you are the last S in this rule not the dog. Lots of praise for the good things they do, and do not d'well on the bad.

BW
Best post yet!
You let a dog " ring a bell" or bark when they gotta go, that's some wrong chit!
We have dogs to please us, not the other way!

Firm and no compromise. Just like raising kids.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Almost 1 week update folks. I think we were fortunate in getting a really smart puppy (border collie) as she is doing great in my mind. With scheduling the meals we have her poop schedule down pat! Lots of praise and a treat when she goes outside does business. I did break down a bit and put her kennel in our bedroom, shes much calmer when someone is wiyhin sight, and allows me to hear her wine... 1-3 times a night and out she goes. The bigger issue is chewing, which was expected. Stay on kids to pick up their toys and stuff! Purchased a rawhide type stick (non odour) or they stink bad. And she loves it and stays away from the shoes alot better. So far i think we are doing good? Yesterday was the first full day accident free!! and i gotta say its helped my fat butt too, getting out for a walk 2-3 times a day is great!!

I want to thank everyone for the great tips!! and i will update again in another week or so.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Just found a show on Nat Geo called Puppy Days.
They follow six different 8 week old puppies for a few months.
On now and for the rest of the evening

Last edited by omega50; 12-09-2018 at 04:27 PM.