But theres no SD column....
Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
But theres no SD column....
Shhh, the mods are watching.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

That Bullet Energy Calculator works the same as my Ballistics Calculator as far as Energy/Bullet Weight x Velocity. However it is useless as a tool to compare Effective Range based on minimum Terminal Energy and Impact Velocity as shown on the chart I prepared. One has to use a Ballistics Program that takes MV, ME, BC, and SD in to account as well as Bullet Weight in order to determine Impact velocity.

My statement on a closed thread, "Have personally seen 4 moose taken, with one shot, at 600 yards with three different Caliber/ Bullet combinations. The 3006 with Win 180 PPP bullets had 1415 f/s IV and 1106 ft.lbs. TE and the perfectly mushromed bullet came to rest "under the hide on the other side" and the moose fell over on the spot. Two shot with the 270 Win using Win 130 PPP ammunition were hit with 1747 ft.lbs. IV and 881 ft. lbs. TE and they both died on the spot but the bullets were not recovered as they spent their remaining Momentum/Energy on mother earth. The fourth was shot with My 7mm08 running a 140 Nosler SB bullet at 3000 fps MV and the moose walked about 10 steps before falling dead (perhaps 10 seconds). The 1891 f/s IV was greater than both the 270 and 3006 as was the 1112 ft.lbs TE. ", has the exact same 600 yard TE for the 130 grain, 180 grain and 140 grain bullets as the Bullet Energy Calculator using the IV of each bullet respectively.

When one claims that a Magnum or Larger Capacity is more powerful than a smaller one it really depends on the Effective Range based on Minimum IV and TE of the load chosen. The chart I put together quickly points out that a 300 Win Mag or STW with Winchester 150 PPP Factory Ammunition defiantly have less effective range on moose than 6.5 CM Factory 143 ELDX ammunition. It also shows that a Barnes 140-X Handload atMV 3300 fps in a STW has 1200 ft. lbs. TE at 655 yds. compared to 745 yards in a Factory 143 ELD-X 6.5 PRC load. I remember back when I first loaded my 7mm-08 with the 145 Speer BTSP to 2940 fps and mentioning to a friend that it was the same as his load in a 7X64 Brenneke. His response was that his rifle was bigger than mine. When I reminded him that his load was the 145 Speer BTSP at 2940 fps he thought a minute and said, " Well I guess you are right". Well I think he quickly realized that the IV and TE were going to be equal so his rifle, although "Bigger than mine", was not "More Powerful". I will leave it to you to decide which Cartridges are "More Powerful" in the above examples and re - post the chart so it is easy to see the comparisons.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM

That calculator could very well be used to calculate the energy of a car collision or a bag of oranges hitting something. Calibre and sd are valid just as much as velocity energy and bullet construction. Bc matters when figuring out the velocity after flying a distance.

Iclunds chart is the first time ive seen a decent number of hand loads included.

Beyond charts and sd and penetration estimates. There's always the unpredictable scenario of how skin muscles and bones are organized for a hunting shot. Nothing can guarantee the same result over and over. Energy momentum and bullet construction assist with overcoming the unpredictable scenarios

Last edited by Nyksta; 12-10-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
That calculator could very well be used to calculate the energy of a car collision or a bag of oranges hitting something. Calibre and sd are valid just as much as velocity energy and bullet construction. Bc matters when figuring out the velocity after flying a distance.

Iclunds chart is the first time ive seen a decent number of hand loads included.

Beyond charts and sd and penetration estimates. There's always the unpredictable scenario of how skin muscles and bones are organized for a hunting shot. Nothing can guarantee the same result over and over. Energy momentum and bullet construction assist with overcoming the unpredictable scenarios
I have always found that actually shooting is most educational. I highly recommend it.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

It’s all relative, that’s why in my opinion once you choose a bullet, look at its performance velocity range and see what your max distance is as far as performing as designed. Of course there is no chart that will tell you exactly how much energy is require all depends on where your bullet impacts the animal, a number impossible to come up with. This is where “rule of thumb” becomes the final calculation needed to choose your poison.

I’ve mentioned several times, 1500fps(based on the performance specs of my Hunting bullets), 1000ft/lb, or 600yds(no math involved in the 600yds, it’s a skill thing), which ever comes first is what I feel confident with in making a clean kill on any North American big game animal.

It’s just that simple.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have always found that actually shooting is most educational. I highly recommend it.
X2!
As far as accuracy goes , I was speaking with an old family friend today who has been on several National teams and shot at “ the big show” at Cannaught and Bisley , he has an untold amount of experience .
We were discussing certain cartridges and calibers specifically and he said something that I learned many years ago
“ once you get into long range shooting , the equipment is only about 5% of the equation- the other 95% is up to the shooter”
Cat