Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Default Trappin a line that has non stop sled traffic😀

My registered line has been devastated by the flood and basically I have a 1/2 township to trap and in early July I talked to an aquaintence to junior on his line. Great I thought. Early in the year nov I set in 25 Martin boxes and covered a great deal of the area I didn't need a snow machine to cover I had decent luck but I knew I needed to get into the high country. Dec 1 came and as the amount of traffic increased , I have never seen trails so rough and so many high performance sleds i am having a hard time trapping the animals that I seen in November. They have free rein dec 1 and all the pre baiting has all but gone to waist. Too note I have had two Martin lost to a predator with side cutters. I always Flagg my traps on the other side and always 20 yards down the trail. The first one was taking a **** and the second seen my tracks where I was putting lure and found his prize. I always use a gps in case my partner needs to run traps but should I not use flagging tape also. I am thinking the festive season is closing and maybe it is going to slow down, god I hope so Iam not used to sharing the back country with anyone but my family and friends.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Had 12 marten sets stolen in a row a few years back. I used survey ribbon so my partner could find and check sets. They caught on what the ribbon was for and cleaned me out. Now I only use my GPS to mark my sets.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM

that sucks!! hopefully you get back onto yours next season.

i thought long and hard about TJ's line in the porkeys when it came available. but passed on it, for that very reason. glad i did.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM

Now that would make a trapper hot under the collar faster than finding a half eaten lynx!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Default Half eaten lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Now that would make a trapper hot under the collar faster than finding a half eaten lynx!
Nothing as bad as that other than a guy or gal with side cutters taking your hard ern work.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Angry

That really sucks
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Why people can't leave what's not there's along is beyond me. I've had a couple sets go missing in the past to passers by and it really sucks. Using just GPS would definitely help hide sets.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Question

Do you have to mark where sets are or can you just locate them with your gps?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Default That's terrible

The fact you were marking where the traps were is to be commended. That people would steal from you is terrible.

Any idea who these people are? People who want to steal your furs, or vandals?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Default Sammy1

They will be back to get more. If possible set up a trail cam. Show the Wardens.

Sammy
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM

my line has golden triangle skidoo trail running through the middle of it ninty percent of people stick to the trail a few always have to go exploring that wouldn't hurt if they would leave sets alone and not rough up trails yes its a **** off and very flustrating at times but not mutch a person can do be very carefull with trail cams I have had them stolen before hide a second one too take pictures of the first hard to prove anything when people are wearing skidoo helmets have too get license plate number on skidoo as well all in one picture really sucks feel for ya
Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 AM

I feel for ya too ,,, a couple years ago my son , who was 7 at the time got completely cleaned out on his marten line ,,,, traps boxes and furs .
I will never set by or trap on the road any more .
Also I will never put up signs or flagging tape to mark my sets , it's just advertising for the thieves and irresponsible people that shouldn't be in the bush at the same time as us trappers.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Trail cams, critter theft

From my experience is flagging tape does make it easier, but once there is
snow they just follow your path. Sorry about your loss. It has happened to me also. CO's recommended the trail cam. One on main trail to identify sled/quad , one hidden and aimed at box. Must be well camo'd, just small lens showing. In likelihood they are probably doing it at nite.
Hope you get them, they are low of the low.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM

we got to the point of having to walk way past out traps and then double back, wound people lost interest, we also used a leaf rake or spruce bows to hide prints and the wind would blow the rest smooth

feel for ya
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 AM

Thieves are lazy. I know guys who trap in heavy sled use area. They put their sets back off the trails a minimum of 20 yds. and pick concealed access when possible. They put their boxes on the backside of trees and one guy even packs a short aluminum ladder to get his traps up out of easy reach. He did it to try and stay ahead of the massive snows that can happen but found a side benefit of being out of easy reach.

They also have engaged the local snowmobile community in looking out for them. Most guys think trappers are cool and are happy to keep their eyes open. to me it sounds horrible but they're in awesome country, catch lots of fur, and hardly ever have to break trail!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM

Yep got hammered last year with 21 marten traps and 3 marten that I know of all because of my survey ribbon I was useing . It made a easy trail for the theives to fallow!!!! The anger that day was well words can't describe, I was back to the area this year and set two marten boxes with the same ribbon as last year but with a little surprise !!!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
Yep got hammered last year with 21 marten traps and 3 marten that I know of all because of my survey ribbon I was useing . It made a easy trail for the theives to fallow!!!! The anger that day was well words can't describe, I was back to the area this year and set two marten boxes with the same ribbon as last year but with a little surprise !!!
A few 330 under the snow like a wolf trail set crossed my mind
Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 PM

A chunck of 2by8 with 4 inch sharpened spikes buried on the trail !! Then look for the bugger with a limp ya got your guy lol
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Default Help is a PM away!

RG, sorry to hear of your woes on the trapping area that overlaps with the Snowmobile Area, the only NO-tire OHV area south of the #1 Hwy that I know of.

As Organizer, Trails Committee, Calgary Snowmobile Club there, I understand your frustrations with the high sledding activity, especially over the Christmas season. The volume of traffic I can do nothing about, but we are committed to obtaining a groomer for the trail system, sooner rather than later - hopefully. To date, over 25 people have spent over 35 days and committed over 300 hours to rebuilding and documenting the trails and damage after the flooding at the area, for sledders, the ESRD, and other users.

The fact that you have lost traps is unforgivable, and if I came across someone messing with your traps, they would - first off - be walking back to their vehicle, which can be up to 15 kms. (as gun play would put me in a place I do not want to be). I enjoy seeing your flagging, knowing you are in the area, and am now thinking of what to do to help you out and educate the public. This is really a job for ESRD (perhaps with better regulations or more enforcement), I feel, but I have found the best way to get something done is do it yourself. PM me and we can discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
My registered line has been devastated by the flood and basically I have a 1/2 township to trap and in early July I talked to an aquaintence to junior on his line. Great I thought. Early in the year nov I set in 25 Martin boxes and covered a great deal of the area I didn't need a snow machine to cover I had decent luck but I knew I needed to get into the high country. Dec 1 came and as the amount of traffic increased , I have never seen trails so rough and so many high performance sleds i am having a hard time trapping the animals that I seen in November. They have free rein dec 1 and all the pre baiting has all but gone to waist. Too note I have had two Martin lost to a predator with side cutters. I always Flagg my traps on the other side and always 20 yards down the trail. The first one was taking a **** and the second seen my tracks where I was putting lure and found his prize. I always use a gps in case my partner needs to run traps but should I not use flagging tape also. I am thinking the festive season is closing and maybe it is going to slow down, god I hope so Iam not used to sharing the back country with anyone but my family and friends.

Last edited by Kaz Dog; 01-01-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Seen tons of marten traps up north while hunting, and tons of gear at a few cabins, and never thought of disturbing it.. It isn't mine, and why would I? Taken a look around the cabins and areas and maybe took a leak on a tree, but that is about it.. Hoping that if someone comes by our hunting camp, they would do the same and not disturb anything..
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Seems it is easy to blame snowmobilers for missing traps and fur BUT why just blame snowmobilers. Possible other trappers looking to score some free traps knowing that their isn`t much of a chance to be caught. They know what to look for and know where to look. No serial numbers on traps no proof of them being yours. Lots of other users of the bush also. Trail signs go missing every year on snowmobile trails. Are trappers removing them? Cross country skiers not wanting to see natures little creatures killed and made into a coat. What about dogsledders? Maybe one of those traps caught a dog and now they have a hate against trappers. Maybe its loggers or oilfield workers lots of users in the bush.
Trail cameras may help but they are being stolen daily. How many trappers have ever caught someone stealing their traps?
As you may have figured out I`m a snowmobiler and manage a snowmobile trail system. I have contact all but 1 of the trappers along the trail and ask them of any concerns they may have with the snowmobile trails. Only issue for them is the posibillity of disturbance of their traps. There hasn`t been anything negative to happen. They use our trail to access their trails and different areas. One trapper this last week was happy to see use again as we pack the trail and it gets him around easier.
I hope we can put the paintbrush away and not paint all snowmobile activity as negative to the trapping industry. Sometimes more eyes in the bush is a good thing.
Thanks for reading