Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Fishfinder for small aluminum boat

Hey all,

I just picked up a little 14 ft aluminum tinny with an old Merc 20 hp two stroke and I am wondering what options are available to hook up a cheap fish finder...

I am not much of an electronics guy so I am not sure how one would rig up a cheap functional product? Do you just wire up to a 12 volt car battery type thing or are there better ways to set it up? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question...

Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Default Best to get a marine battery .

Wire in a 2 amp fuse on positive wire ....

Most locators come with full instructions ....pretty simple
Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

If you are an ice fisherman as well, you might want to purchase one that is portable. Has small battery and all you need to get going. You can rig for ice fishing too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM

I have my finder on my 14 footer just rigged up with an inline fuse to a marine battery. The raymarine dragonfly are great featured low cost option for a fish finder.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-12-2015, 04:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I have my finder on my 14 footer just rigged up with an inline fuse to a marine battery. The raymarine dragonfly are great featured low cost option for a fish finder.
sweet! I was hoping it was as simple as that... I just wasn't sure if it was safe for the electronics. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Something like a Lowrance x4 works great. Simple and easy to install. Just about any 12 v battery will work on any fish finder
Old 04-12-2015, 04:45 PM

I just use a portable job, uses double AA batteries wouldn't go with a marine battery set up. Too bulky.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Bob check out Buy and sell

Fishing stuff for sale ....thnx
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM

I would suggest something like this, especially if you don't already have a 12V battery in the boat. It'll last a day or two on a full charge, it's completely portable, and it works great with an Elite 5 or HDS 5.

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Univ...ct/1210161213/

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...chure_6125.pdf

There's some really good deals out there right now on Gen 2 HDS 5 units, and that would be best bet if you ask me. You'll need the HDS adapter but it's worth it.

You'll need one of these too -

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=27691

It's a great way to mount your standard skimmer transducer that will come with your sonar unit.

I fished for years from a 14' aluminum boat with a setup like this and worked really well. The real bonus of it is you can take your sonar unit anywhere and use it anybody's boat, I even took it with me when I went on fly in fishing trips up north. AND, you can use it year round for ice fishing as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM
AO Sponsor

Now that is what I am talking about! I was hoping I could find a unit that wouldn't leave me hauling in and out a full sized battery if possible... Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I would suggest something like this, especially if you don't already have a 12V battery in the boat. It'll last a day or two on a full charge, it's completely portable, and it works great with an Elite 5 or HDS 5.

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Univ...ct/1210161213/

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...chure_6125.pdf

There's some really good deals out there right now on Gen 2 HDS 5 units, and that would be best bet if you ask me. You'll need the HDS adapter but it's worth it.

You'll need one of these too -

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=27691

It's a great way to mount your standard skimmer transducer that will come with your sonar unit.

I fished for years from a 14' aluminum boat with a setup like this and worked really well. The real bonus of it is you can take your sonar unit anywhere and use it anybody's boat, I even took it with me when I went on fly in fishing trips up north. AND, you can use it year round for ice fishing as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM

My portable takes 2 - 6 volt batteries. Suction cup transducer. It's 20 yrs old and still working great. Not sure what the new ones use for batteries.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:09 AM

There are a couple of ways to do this, and to be honest I am not sure I would do a purpose built portable, though in the end you will end up having one. I have and Hummingbird that I pulled out of a old boat after the motor died (the sounder was next to new the boat was from the 70’s) . But it now has t modes. 1 in the kayak and as a true portable. The key to both working are ram mounts

http://www.rammount.com/products/kayak/fishfinder

Put one or two of the mounting balls in strategic locations on the boat, the sounder goes on a plate and the two are attached with a arm . way more convenient that a backpack under foot.

For power get one of these
http://www.power-sonic.com/#idTab3

IIRC 5 mili amp hour is what I run and this past winter I got 3 days of ice fishing off of one charge, it is not very big and you should be able to make a spot for it just about anywhere.

For the sensor I would be tempted just to silicon some pvc pipe to the floor in a corner fill it with water drop the sensor in and just shoot through the hull, My Kayak has a live well and I just drop my sensor into it and call it good.

I would find a good deal on a regular boat sounder and make it fit what you need vs a purpose build portable, though in the end you will end up with a portable anyhow.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

For the sensor I would be tempted just to silicon some pvc pipe to the floor in a corner fill it with water drop the sensor in and just shoot through the hull, My Kayak has a live well and I just drop my sensor into it and call it good.
That's a pretty good idea ..... your transducer would very easily read through your hull and as long as it's submerged .... you would be in business.

You could use a unit like this for ice fishing AND for your aluminum boat .... completely portable and no battery to haul around as your entire sonar and battery fits in one bag.

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/ICE-688ci-HD-Combo/

Keep in mind you will have GPS, ability to use a SD card for charts, a standard sonar, a flasher view and everything including a portable battery.

The battery on my unit will last 12-14 hours out on the ice. Probably a full weekend in the summer.

A small spare battery for this unit runs about $40 in case you wanted a back up.

EASY PEASY.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's a pretty good idea ..... your transducer would very easily read through your hull and as long as it's submerged .... you would be in business.

You could use a unit like this for ice fishing AND for your aluminum boat .... completely portable and no battery to haul around as your entire sonar and battery fits in one bag.

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/ICE-688ci-HD-Combo/

Keep in mind you will have GPS, ability to use a SD card for charts, a standard sonar, a flasher view and everything including a portable battery.

The battery on my unit will last 12-14 hours out on the ice. Probably a full weekend in the summer.

A small spare battery for this unit runs about $40 in case you wanted a back up.

EASY PEASY.
EZM is right, such a setup is great.

I have the Lowrance Ice 55 (I believe) it is a multi-purpose machine and it is GREAT.

I have two transducers for the unit, one specifically for ice fishing and the other I have mounted on a board, which I C-clamp onto my transom and boooom... your in business. Built in GPS, sonar, fish finder with depth, temp, contours and you can tell what the bottom is composed of by the color is shows on my screen. I usually split zoom it so I have two panels running concurrently.

I honestly can't think of a complaint, its perfect for my 16 ft tinner...and take down/set up takes seconds.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:05 AM

I dont have extensive deep water experience with the Garmin so cant comment.

But i did have a Lowrance HDS9 Gen 2 touch hooked up to a TM260 (1kw). Easily spotted individual fish at 500-600m. Managed a pretty successful 1200 odd hours mainly fishing between 150-600m with that set up...and did pretty well with it too Wink

I'm planning to go to commercial level setup on the next boat for some super deep and lower frequency pinging. Will watch with interest to see what comes out over the next year. Last time I did some reasearch it seemed to be that a major limitation is transom mounted 'ducers dont go down to low enough frequencies. Hopefully that gets sorted.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:58 AM

I put my flasher battery in a Tupperware container with a lid with a hole near the top for the power wire to hook up. Can remove from boat in 10 seconds to recharge or if close enough to a power outlet to just plug in and charge.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...8395p.html#srp

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM

You certainly don't need a car battery, something like an emergency light battery will run a sounder all day.

Thomas Sowell