Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 PM

Default Lowrance Elite 7 Ti Review

Got this unit last Friday. I was super excited to try it out, but I've had some niggling issues.

You can read some more basic info about the unit here: http://www.fishfinders.info/lowrance-elite-7-ti-review

My unit came with the StructureScan HD transducer. So I can use sidescan and downscan, as well as create mapping logs to generate depth charts. It also outputs this data in real time onto a 2d map chart for you while you fish. It's kind of neat, but I have yet to really utilize it.

My observations are as follows:

1) Touchscreen doesn't work with either of my 12 volt batteries (one has 7 AH another 40 AH). It only works with my large 12 volt 170 AH trolling motor battery. I've calibrated the screen several times and nothing seems to fix this. My unit could be defective and I'm currently engaged with Lowrance CS to see what's up.

2) CHIRP cannot be used when downscan or sidescan are turned on. Definitely a huge issue for me considering the high price tag and the fact that cheaper units allow CHIRP to be used in conjunction with downscan. Downscan data can be overlaid onto regular sonar data though, but I'm not sure if this makes it roughly equivalent to using CHIRP or not. Any experts want to chime in? I would love to know because this issue is really bothering me.

Further, turning off structurescan so CHIRP can be used isn't an easy process. You have to access the settings menu and dig a bit, then the unit needs to restart (a minute or so) before you can start using CHIRP.

3) The transducer is massive. Not exactly a bad thing, but good to know if you are thinking of running it on a canoe or kayak. Also keep in mind the transducer must be almost perfectly level and be parallel with your boat. If the transducer is not level, sidescan will suffer, and if the transducer is not parallel with your boat the same thing happens (You'd basically be scanning back and front, not left and right). Downscan and regular sonar work fine.

4) Edited overlay data doesn't stay in the unit's memory. That is, if you decide you want to shrink text size or add your speed and current time to the display you will have to do this every time you start the unit.

5) The manual is terrible. It provides next to no guidance on how to actually use the unit, no pointers, no advice, no general guidance. For an advanced (and expensive) piece of tech I expect at least a few pages on DOs and DON'Ts for effective usage. But this seems to be par for the course with Lowrance (and maybe all marine) electronics.

6) The display is very crisp and clear, even in direct sunlight. The sonar and downscan gives very clear returns and the auto mode actually works better than adjusting manually. I really appreciate this since my old unit always had me jerking around with the sensitivity instead of fishing and driving. I can't comment on the sidescan yet or the mapping features. It does allow you to "tag" an area on the sonar or structurescan screens and navigate back to that. Again, I haven't yet used this feature but it should be useful for staying over certain structures or schools of fish.

It's a good unit for sure, but for the price I really believe the issues around CHIRP and the overlay editing are kind of outrageous.

Tell me if you think I'm wrong. Interested in the feedback. Should I keep this unit or not?

I'll update on my correspondence with Lowrance and whether the unit gets sent back/my results of continued use.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Got this unit last Friday. I was super excited to try it out, but I've had some niggling issues.

You can read some more basic info about the unit here: http://www.fishfinders.info/lowrance-elite-7-ti-review

My unit came with the StructureScan HD transducer. So I can use sidescan and downscan, as well as create mapping logs to generate depth charts. It also outputs this data in real time onto a 2d map chart for you while you fish. It's kind of neat, but I have yet to really utilize it.
I assume you mean the new TotalScan transducer.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...mer-en-us.aspx

Quote:
My observations are as follows:

1) Touchscreen doesn't work with either of my 12 volt batteries (one has 7 AH another 40 AH). It only works with my large 12 volt 170 AH trolling motor battery. I've calibrated the screen several times and nothing seems to fix this. My unit could be defective and I'm currently engaged with Lowrance CS to see what's up.
Is this in your boat on the water, or connected directly to a battery with the unit in your hands or on a table?

This is actually pretty common with touch screens. It isn't related to battery size or output, it's related to the grounding effect that allows touch screens to operate. Trying touching the screen with one hand while you touch the negative terminal with your other hand, I'm guessing it'll work fine.

This shouldn't be an issue when you're using the unit mounted in your boat.

Quote:
2) CHIRP cannot be used when downscan or sidescan are turned on. Definitely a huge issue for me considering the high price tag and the fact that cheaper units allow CHIRP to be used in conjunction with downscan. Downscan data can be overlaid onto regular sonar data though, but I'm not sure if this makes it roughly equivalent to using CHIRP or not. Any experts want to chime in? I would love to know because this issue is really bothering me.

Further, turning off structurescan so CHIRP can be used isn't an easy process. You have to access the settings menu and dig a bit, then the unit needs to restart (a minute or so) before you can start using CHIRP.
I'm surprised at this. That doesn't make much sense to me and is disappointing.

That does appear to be the case though. You can operate a single frequency 2D sonar signal and the Structure Scan simultaneously, but not the CHIRP function. Might be signal interference, might be a lack of computing power, but that's unfortunate though for sure.

Quote:
3) The transducer is massive. Not exactly a bad thing, but good to know if you are thinking of running it on a canoe or kayak. Also keep in mind the transducer must be almost perfectly level and be parallel with your boat. If the transducer is not level, sidescan will suffer, and if the transducer is not parallel with your boat the same thing happens (You'd basically be scanning back and front, not left and right). Downscan and regular sonar work fine.
That's the trade off for only having to mount a single transducer vs. a standard transducer plus the Structure Scan transducer (which is roughly the same size).

Quote:
4) Edited overlay data doesn't stay in the unit's memory. That is, if you decide you want to shrink text size or add your speed and current time to the display you will have to do this every time you start the unit.
That doesn't seem right to me. There must be a way of saving your edited overlay setup. If not, they better get an update out ASAP to correct that.

Quote:
5) The manual is terrible. It provides next to no guidance on how to actually use the unit, no pointers, no advice, no general guidance. For an advanced (and expensive) piece of tech I expect at least a few pages on DOs and DON'Ts for effective usage. But this seems to be par for the course with Lowrance (and maybe all marine) electronics.
That doesn't surprise me. It seems no matter what you buy there's less and less detail in the manuals, if you even get a printed manual at all these days.

Quote:
6) The display is very crisp and clear, even in direct sunlight. The sonar and downscan gives very clear returns and the auto mode actually works better than adjusting manually. I really appreciate this since my old unit always had me jerking around with the sensitivity instead of fishing and driving. I can't comment on the sidescan yet or the mapping features. It does allow you to "tag" an area on the sonar or structurescan screens and navigate back to that. Again, I haven't yet used this feature but it should be useful for staying over certain structures or schools of fish.
That's good to hear.

Quote:
It's a good unit for sure, but for the price I really believe the issues around CHIRP and the overlay editing are kind of outrageous.

Tell me if you think I'm wrong. Interested in the feedback. Should I keep this unit or not?

I'll update on my correspondence with Lowrance and whether the unit gets sent back/my results of continued use.
Can't say as I disagree. The CHIRP issue is definitely disappointing, but I can kind of understand it. The inability to save the data overlay is really bad.

It'll be interesting to see how they work in the long run, at around $1200 for everything it comes with, it's a pretty good deal in my opinion. Any other touch screen unit with all those features is going to be close to double the price.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I assume you mean the new TotalScan transducer.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...mer-en-us.aspx

Is this in your boat on the water, or connected directly to a battery with the unit in your hands or on a table?

This is actually pretty common with touch screens. It isn't related to battery size or output, it's related to the grounding effect that allows touch screens to operate. Trying touching the screen with one hand while you touch the negative terminal with your other hand, I'm guessing it'll work fine.

This shouldn't be an issue when you're using the unit mounted in your boat.
That's correct. It is the TotalScan Transducer.

This would be me sitting at a table with the battery also on the table. Does having the battery on the floor of a boat change the grounding effect? Would it make a difference on the floor of a canoe vs. a fibre glass vhull? Or is it the act of mounting that corrects this, in the sense that the unit is "touching" an object that is grounded?

I have noticed that if I hold the unit with one hand while I operate it with my other hand it works better. And I have also noticed what you said about the negative terminal.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
That's correct. It is the TotalScan Transducer.

This would be me sitting at a table with the battery also on the table. Does having the battery on the floor of a boat change the grounding effect? Would it make a difference on the floor of a canoe vs. a fibre glass vhull? Or is it the act of mounting that corrects this, in the sense that the unit is "touching" an object that is grounded?

I have noticed that if I hold the unit with one hand while I operate it with my other hand it works better. And I have also noticed what you said about the negative terminal.
I'm not sure of the exact physics behind it lol, but mounting it will solve your problems, regardless of aluminum/fiberglass/kayak, etc...
Old 12-07-2019, 05:41 AM

Default Wonderful!

I watched a video on the Garmin. I have to say Elite 7 ti offers much more bang for your buck.

Garmin for about $800 basically get a built in map and regular bottom finder, and maybe XM weather capability. Lowrance for about $800 you get side scan, down scan, chirp, built in map+navionics map, and ability to control T/M and Power Pole. Of course there are more options with each, but I think those are most common.

Maybe someone has hands on experience with both and will chime in. You might also consider the Simrad Go 7.

I shared my experiece here Lowrance 7 TI Review
Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 AM

They have it on sale at 50% off at Bass. Saw one yesterday. Buddy could not buy it quick enough. LOL
Old 12-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Sorry my mistake the one on sale is the 9" touch
Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Yep. Was just at Bass Pro

Elite TI 9” on sale for $750. They only have a couple left apparently.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:47 PM

I love my 7ti.

Just not happy that the NAV. card you get only works for one year .
With out a new NAV. card every year you lose maps alive.
$150 US a year.

Last edited by -JR-; 12-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I love my 7ti.

Just not happy that the NAV. card you get only works for one year .
With out a new NAV. card every year you lose maps alive.
$150 US a year.
Yep. That’s the biggest downside.

Keep your eyes open in the spring, usually Feb/March. I’ve seen the subscription renewal go on sale as low as $50 USD.